E2E and AW 17670s

jugg2

Enlightened
Hi everyone, I got my AW 17670s today, and they don't fit in my E2E. They will go almost all the way down the tube, but there is a small ridge inside the tube that stops them flush with the top of the tube. I tried removing the sticker, but that was not the problem. The RCR123s fit in there just fine. I guess I will have to file the inside of the light a little to take away the ridge. Any other suggestions before I file it down?

Illum

Flashaholic
the E series body seem to have the issue [the inner radius near the tailcap is less than the radius near the bezel]

some have claimed success by taking a file to the inner body cavity near the TC while others sufficed to using 17500s [shorter than 17670s by 17mm] in their bodies.

My old L4 body couldn't take a 17670 so I used a E2D body:grin2:

da.gee

Enlightened
I have an E2L and they won't fit. I picked up an older E2E and they fit fine. I get to play a little Lego between the two.

jugg2

Enlightened
I have an E2L and they won't fit. I picked up an older E2E and they fit fine. I get to play a little Lego between the two.

I didn't really know how long mine had been at Bass Pro before I got it, but I guess I got a newer one. At least there is a good side to the story...

da.gee

Enlightened
From what I've read here some E2Es will fit them and some will not. Often it is the small variations in batteries that also determine your luck. Combine the two and well you just don't know.

jugg2

Enlightened
Well I had 2 hours to kill, so I used an old drum stick I had and some 800 grit sand paper. I finished it off with 2000 grit. Now it looks like it came from the factory that way, and the 17670s fit in there perfectly!

Illum

Flashaholic
This was also my experience with some E2D bodies.
So, I put them in my lathe and now they fit perfectly. :D

I wonder if Surefire's CNC machines need to be calibrated for tolerances
I'm not a machinist myself but during a drill/boring process with the same bit I don't see how one side could be wider than the other unless the thing isn't straight to begin with:ohgeez:

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought, i don't have any experience with rechargables... but could surefire be doing this on purpose? To stop people from using rechargables? I know that they frown upon them being used in the lights to begin with... just a thought lol.

Steven

jugg2

Enlightened
Just a thought, i don't have any experience with rechargables... but could surefire be doing this on purpose? To stop people from using rechargables? I know that they frown upon them being used in the lights to begin with... just a thought lol.

Steven

That is very possible, but at least I was able to fix SureFire's "mistake" lol.

Illum

Flashaholic

Steven

I heard this too...but then again I heard of the U2s development days where the testing was built upon the use of 18650s instead of cr123As. and a hidden trick was to insert a plastic tube from the bezel end into the body, and snug up the bezel/body region. from the tailcap its cr123As only, but knowing this allowed a few members to use 18650s in their U2s....then the new U2s no longer have this tube so yeah.

Today Surefire not only prevents users from using rechargeables [unless its their own, see B90 ni-cd], they also state very explicitly that the use of cells other than primary lithium for their cr123A lights will void the warranty.
does this enhance their sale of cr123as? I dunno, but sure didn't discourage any of us from use it in our lights:whistle:

Illum

Flashaholic
if it doesn't fit...hey 6P, C2, and M2s have a heck of alot more material to prevent boring through than that of E series bodies:D

rtt

Enlightened
How much material removal are we talking about for the E2E's that cannot take 17650 cell? Is it under 1mm?