2D Mag mod made good

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod worked well, so I thought I'd share. A couple of years ago, I modded a gifted 2D Mag with a Hotlips D, Luxeon 3, Downboy 1000 converter and Modamad 6AA battery. I was underwhelmed at the output and poor (laserlike) beam, so it sat on the shelf. Since I'm now upgrading a bunch of Luxeon items to SSC P4s, this one got an SSC, then a Khatod 20mm smooth reflector. It turned out that if I glued an O ring to the rim of the reflector, it would snug up between the plastic lens and the LED. Otherwise it's just loose and sitting there.

Now the beam is good, and I guesstimate about 150+ lumens. The 7.2v pack runs about 650mA, and looks to run for several hours. The OEM Mag reflector is just not very good with LEDs IMO. I would like to see some way to hold other reflectors like this inside the head, which could have applications with heatsinks and dropins.

DSCF3962b.jpg

DSCF3969b.jpg

DSCF3966b.jpg

DSCF3964b.jpg

DSCF3971b.jpg

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat, but I'm not much of a fan of the use of such a small reflector in a large flashlight unless it's a multi-emitter setup. On that note, I guess the way the stock mag reflector works with LEDs seems to have been a topic of discussion here. Some argue the sharp far throwing hotspot it provides isn't really "useable". I guess I can understand that with Luxeons, but using an SSCP4 in a stock Mag reflector does provide a bigger hotspot than a Luxeon and I have found that to be a good compromise just simply because of the amount of output you get when compared to a Luxeon. Actually, you might want to consider getting an IMS27 (27mm) reflector as it fits and works with the SSCP4 emitter really well. Elektrolumens makes his MT-I Mag drop-in using an IMS27 reflector paired with an SSCP4 U-bin emitter.

Sandwich Shoppe has some IMS27s in stock:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_50_64&products_id=401

Or if you don't mind spending some money, get an McR-27 Seoul as McR reflectors are top notch in quality and performance:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_50_64&products_id=960