DX HID Light

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Saw a thread in the HID section asking about this light and said what the heck and ordered one. They claim 35W which puts it in the same class as my Beast. It arrived in an aluminum case, wrapped in one layer of paper, and surprisingly, there was no external damage!
242557401-O.jpg

The case measures 15.75" x 8" x 4.50", and is of fairly decent construction though not water tight. Here's a pic of it open:
242557411-O.jpg

It came with AC and DC chargers, carrying strap, and a yellow filter. The case liner is on the flimsy side and broke during shipment without damaging the light.
242557435-O.jpg

Note the funny plug on the AC charger, which is marked 100-240V 50/60HZ. (Easily fixed.) I charged the Li Ion pack with the DC charger with my truck.

Here's a pic with Beastie:
242557890-O.jpg

The DX head diameter is 3.315", the finned area 2.365" and the body 1.910. Length is 14.625" and it weighs 2.85# vs 3.31# for Beastie.

The power pack is interesting in that it has the main clicky switch built in one end. It's a forward type with momentary! Blurry pic:
242557914-O.jpg

The other end is provided with a protective rubber cap for when it is out of the light:
242557419-O.jpg

There are 3 5mm white LEDs and a small slide switch to turn them on, and the charging jack. It's a flashlight! Rubber cover removed which exposes the spring-loaded, gold-plated contact pins:
242557904-O.jpg

The pack must be removed in order to charge it.

Oh, it comes with a strike bezel: :green:
242557930-O.jpg

The overall construction is pretty good. The threads are decent and finish appears to be Type II class 1 clear anodize. There are O-rings at the switch button, tail cap, and feels like one at the head when you rotate it to focus it. The head is captive so you can't completely unscrew it.

I compared it to Beastie the other morning, and the color temp is way cooler than the Beast, maybe 8K. It also seems to out throw the Beast while putting out visibly less total light. Full output takes about 15 seconds, but you'd need a light meter to know that. Speaking of which, I did a ceiling bounce test to compare them and the DX made 48 Lux vs 75 Lux for the Beast. They both will tailstand. The DX Lux reading didn't change when I ran the focus adjustment through its full range.

All in all, the sucker's a lot better than I expected for fit and finish. I can't speak for the electronics and time will tell. There doesn't seem to be a spare power pack available, but it is screwed together and looks like it might be repairable. For $268 shipped, I'm happy. (So far. :D )

I saved the best for last. :D
242557391-O.jpg

Larry

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is definitely a classic warning label. Almost worthy of a sigline!
Thanks for taking one for CPF.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wonderful review.

Would you recommend it to others who can't afford a Beast; or are there other, better, alternatives to the DX model? (Even if they do cost more money).

Patriot

Flashaholic
If it said ":caution: Strong Light" too you'd have the whole meal deal...:green:

It will be interesting to see how it does over time. I still think you're a sport for trying it out for us.

Thanks for the review. :)

Nos

Enlightened
nice review man
maybe its going to be the "Best Bang for Bug" light 2008 :whistle:

lets see how it develops :thumbsup:

can u get some beamshots too? especially vs the Beast :devil:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
It's a decent light. If the internal/electronic construction is up to the external fit/finish, I would recommend it! I can't conveniently get to the power-in contacts for a power-in measurement, but suspect it is a 28W light. I will be keeping the sucker and maybe toss it behind the seat in my pickup. :D

Larry

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a pretty nice light. And for the price difference between it and the beast, it's a no-brainer choice :)

Alero

Enlightened
Me like avoid hurt by high temperature! That good happy lucky super fun warn me label on your strong light!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The DX HID is almost as big as a SF Beast. I doubt the internals would fit inside a D-cell Mag.

Building a Mag85 or buying one would probably be a better idea.

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Oh no, I don't like be hurt by hight temperature! don't be lightening that across me.

Alero said:
Me like avoid hurt by high temperature! That good happy lucky super fun warn me label on your strong light!

It speak very good london and I not touch the glass to avoid hurt by high temperature

:knight::dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :knight:

Last edited:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Larry,

You're killing us. :whistle: Can't wait for the review on the electronics and lighting performance of this one. Will appreciate a quick review / finding on this, even if beamshots will follow later. :confused:

Tks
Johan