Omega Throwers

Shreknow91

Enlightened
what flashlights are know for there throw and is there one that can throw 700-900 feet?

the reason i ask is my grandparents live on 5 acres of flatland and woods and i go out there about 4-5 times a week and stay there until well after dark, and sometimes they get wild animals on there land and i would like to have a flash light that can light them up from a distance.

i know that the general concensus for the best handheld throwers are the tiablo a9, raidfire spear, and the DBS (cant remember how to spell the brand)
are there any others in that size range that can throw as far as these lights?

if not what do you guys think of these lights?
i dont really want to get a heavy spot light for them because they are elderly and arent really that strong (which is why i go to there house so often)

(sorry if this has been covered before)

thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
700-900 feet is really a bit much for any handheld light including the ones you mention. I'd go for an Amondotech N30, which is a lantern style HID that weighs about 3.5 pounds. Not pocket size but not like hauling around a huge spotlight.

http://batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html (use CPF5 discount coupon for 5% off)

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea you're gonna want an HID. The N30 is great and around the same price range as a DBS or Spear.
The thing about the spear and DBS (digital models) are they require 18650 LiIon batteries. These are great for flashaholics, but a poor choice for people with less knowledge and experience.

I think BatteryJunction uses the code CPF2006.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Although some of the lights that you mentioned are capable of throwing light slightly over 200 yards, the amount of light at that range is very minimal. The HID light is the serious choice for intermediate and long range illumination. You'll pay a small penalty with increased size and weight but it's definitely worth it when you really need to put lots of light on an object at distance.

I think paulr already picked the best light with the N30 but I'm a really big X990 fan too. It's three times more expensive but I thought I'd mention it in case it was within your price range.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned above, you'd be best with a HID, etc.

The DBS with the latest and greatest pills (1SD, 2SD, 3SD, DI, w/ Q5 or R2) will get you out to 800-1000 feet, but the amount of light will be minimal. You could probably make out deer, etc, as long as its very dark all around you and your eyes are adapted to the dark. You may even get a bit farther than 1,000 feet, but at these distances, even with a bright light, you almost need optics like binocoluars, spotting scope, to actually see what you are lighting up. :)

This is the DBS hitting trees at about 1,000 feet. You can click the picture for a larger version. You can see the trees are being lit up, but it's pretty faint.

Latest posts