Best budget choice locally?

dpend

Newly Enlightened
Newb asking for advice: What would you recommend that I can get locally, i.e. Target, Radio Shack, etc for around $35-ish or under. Something portable, to fit in a pocket. I'm in the Bethesda/Rockville MD area.

Thanks!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newb asking for advice: What would you recommend that I can get locally, i.e. Target, Radio Shack, etc for around $35-ish or under. Something portable, to fit in a pocket. I'm in the Bethesda/Rockville MD area.

Thanks!

You did not say what you are looking for.

I am assuming you are looking for monkeys? No, Target and Radio Shack does not sell monkeys. Definitely not monkeys that fit in your pocket.

If you are looking for flashlights, all flashlights are portable, duh! That's the point.

At Target stores, look for the RiverRock 1 AA LED. Pretty bright for a 1 AA light. Less than $35.

and Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I know much about brick and mortar inventories, but what are you looking for? Toward the small end, the more powerful end, etc.?

For a long while, the $6 Dorcy 1xAAA at Walmart was considered among the most reliable, useful and best value of lights. It may have been eclipsed by some of the DX/Kai products since, but it is still a very practical EDC. Even better if you can solder in a new LED, which used to be easy to do.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, dpend. Probably the brightest, longest throwing, cheap ($30), locally available (Lowe's) is the Task Force 2C with Cree emitter. It is pretty big, and barely pocketable, however. If you plan to carry it regularly a single AA light like the RR Itiu mentioned would do well.

Geoff

dpend

Newly Enlightened
All, thanks for the advice and welcome. I'll try to be more specific in future!

ltiu, I'm pretty sure I have seen Monkeys at Radio Shack... :grin2:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X1 from Target makes a great pocket light. Built like a tank, plenty bright enough for most daily uses. If you want to go up from there the Inova X5 makes a larger floody light that is a tank and runs for along time yet still fits ok in a pocket.

Up from there, and just on the edge of pocket carry, I carry one in my hip pocket fairly well, is the Inova X0. All fit in your ballpark and all are hard to beat quality wise.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bass Pro in Hanover (Arundel Mills outlet center)

I believe they had a decent selection of flashlights with some Surefires.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Your brightest choice would probably be the Lowe's Task Force. Make sure you get the Cree version. That would be the brightest one.

:welcome:

fishx65

Enlightened
I agree that the 1AA and 2AA(Camo) River Rocks at Target are pretty darn good for department store flashlights.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Rayovac Highbeam/Sportsman Extreme 2xAA 1watt and 3watt lights at WalMart and Kmart are a good buy, ~$20 and ~$30 respectively

Gary123

Enlightened
Dpend

Just wanted to say "hello." I'm also from the Bethesda and Rockville area. You're the first CPF'r I've seen from this area. Welcome aboard.

I know you asked for a local place to purchase, but you can also get some pretty good stuff from Dealextreme.com in China. A lot of us here buy from them. Shipping is included in the price of anything you buy. (Kaidomain.com is similar). Look at this review of bargain priced lights
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176577

The first paragraph discussion is about a 1 x AA light for $10 that a lot of folks think quite highly of. I have just ordered 7 for myself and friends.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Thanks!

Under those circumstances.... Get a River Rock 1AA model at Target.
But, there's two different types of RR 1AA models. Get the one that comes with the pocket-carry clip and a tailcap switch. It should be about $22. The other version has a small barrel-mounted switch and no clip. It's not as bright.

Latest posts