The Morse Code Sebenza! (With Pictures)

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m curious to know which of my fellow CPF`ers would consider themselves to be serious Sebenza collectors.

I may be able to enhance your life if you are!

:p :)

1/26/08 EDIT: Pictures and information have now been posted in Post #20 regarding the "Morse Code Sebenza." Enjoy!

Last edited:

mikehill

Enlightened
Re: Sebenza Collectors

Not serious as such, but I do have a number 70 Jereboam I. And a small regular plain. Why, what do you have for us ? :)

cutlerylover

Banned

I collect them, lol...just on my 1st one still...

I only have had and currently have 1 sebenza, but I cna honestly say its not goign anywhere for a logn logn time...its serving me very well as we speak...took me 10 years to get mine...Im not kidding!

Royal Oak

Newly Enlightened

I`m curious to know which of my fellow CPF`ers would consider themselves to be serious Sebenza collectors.

I may be able to enhance your life if you are!

:p :)

RIMG0001.jpg

You have my attention....
:popcorn:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have three. None are too fancy, but all are BG42 blades which is a bit hard to come by these days.

I have had the small regular for a little while and really loved it, but I was really looking for a small micarta. Well recently a small micarta with BG42 blade came up for sale, in a lot with a large regular and another knife. I bought it thinking i'd sell the large and make up some of the cost. Also thinking i'd probably sell the small regular as well. Well after handling and using the large regular (with swedge) I can't part with it! And I haven't even been able to consider selling the small reg, I just like it too much.

So I never THOUGHT i'd be a collector, but I definitely am a collector now.

schiesz

rifle59

Newly Enlightened

I EDC a small regular at work and a large classic micarta on the week-ends. I also have a couple of safe queens.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Guys...

Thanks for the posts!

I`ve got *several* :rolleyes: Sebenza`s, and I`m considering selling some of them. I`m a big Sebenza fan, and I`ve been EDC`ing a small regular Sebenza for many years.

One of the safe queens that I might finally sell would have a price tag approaching or at $2000.00. I just didn`t know if I should try to sell it and some other safe queen Sebenza`s here...or rather on a knife forum.

I`ll probably try here first if I do decide to sell. It`s comforting, for some reason, to keep treasured items within the CPF family.

Thanks again!

:)

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well you have to show a pic now, whether you decide to sell or not. You can't just throw that carrot out without some payoff!

schiesz

cutlerylover

Banned

Well you have to show a pic now, whether you decide to sell or not. You can't just throw that carrot out without some payoff!

schiesz

I agree, I would like to see what a $2000 sebenza looks like...I have yet to see one go for more than $1000...The again, I am not looking...lol

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe this weekend.... :)

Here are some hints in the meantime:

1) I got this in a trade with another CPF`er several years ago. (I believe he actually had TWO of them!)

2) It`s steeped in CRK family history and provenance.

3) Only six of these Sebenza`s were ever made, and only five of them are in public circulation (with the sixth one being kept by Chris and Anne Reeve).

4) There was a feature article about these rare Sebenza`s in the December 2000 issue of Knives Illustrated.

HECK...with hint No. 4, the cat will soon, and almost certainly, be out of the bag!

:D

Last edited:

guyg

Newly Enlightened

I`ve got a Large Plain w/BG42, Small Classic Woody rebladed w/ Damascus, an Umfaan and gave my daughter a Small Classic w/ S30V. Along with a Nkonka, Shadow, Sable.

mspeterson

Enlightened

Gold's getting pretty high, would this knife also qualify for numismatics?;)

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gold's getting pretty high, would this knife also qualify for numismatics?;)

Good guess, but no. :)

I`ve been remiss in not posting pictures. I couldn`t do it last weekend as hoped, but I`ll see if I can get that project done by the end of this weekend.

And I`ll quit the tease! The knife in question is known as a "Morse Code Sebenza." If you research some of the knife forums, you may find some info about it. I have a lot of info that I`ll post with the forthcoming pictures.

Until later.....

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Think Tuice, Cut Once" indeed. Looks like that is a nice one. Perhaps 6 made.

schiesz

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Think Tuice, Cut Once" indeed. Looks like that is a nice one. Perhaps 6 made.

schiesz

Congrats! You`ve found it! :D

"Think Tice, Cut Once" it is. The "mistake" Morse Code Sebenza made by Chris, with morse code information (with the mistaken spelling of "twice") provided via FAX by Anne`s father in South Africa.

More info and pictures are forthcoming.

Take care.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I present to you some pictures of the Morse Code Sebenza that I`m fortunate to have custody of, along with pictures of the December 2000 isssue of the Knives Illustrated article featuring this knife.

morsecodesebenza001ne7.jpg

morsecodesebenza003og5.jpg

morsecodesebenza006hj1.jpg

morsecodesebenza009yx5.jpg

morsecodesebenza010wl7.jpg

morsecodesebenza012nw2.jpg

After this Knives Illustrated article came out, Chris Reeve sent a follow-up letter to Bruce Voyles indicating that five of these six Morse Code Sebenza`s are out in public hands, while one of them is part of their own family collection.

I have a photocopy of that letter, plus a photocopy of another letter that Anne Reeve sent out with the five Morse Code Sebenza`s dedicating the knife to her father Jimmy Cameron, who passed away shortly after he provided the morse code information from his hospital bed to Chris and Anne via a FAX from Johannesburg, South Africa.

A touching and extremely beautiful story.

Last edited: