Unique Titanium
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SureFire E1B Backup

Hybrid View

Default SureFire E1B Backup

5 and 80 lumens , 37 hr runtime sweet
    Really digg'in that SureFire L1 and E2L Outdoorsman

Default Re: SureFire E1B Backup

It seems that Surefire has caught up with digital? multimode flashlight?

Link to pic - (HOTLINKING not allowed IAW CPF Rules)
    Last edited by Sigman; 01-21-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Black HA

Hubba-hubba-hubba!!

Two stage clicky!!!!

FEATURES
    • Virtually indestructible, dual-output light emitting diode has no filament to burn out or break; lasts for thousands of hours
    • Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens creates a flawless, bright beam with plenty of reach and enough surround beam to accommodate peripheral vision
    • Coated Pyrex® window protects the lens and LED and maximizes light transmission
    • Rugged aerospace-grade aluminum body, Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized in black
    • Sleek, "melted" body has no knurling or sharp edges to catch on or wear out clothing
    • O-ring sealed, weatherproof
    • Two-way pocket clip allows light to be carried bezel up or down
    • Two-stage tailcap switch: press for momentary-on at high setting, release and press again (within two seconds) for momentary-on at low setting; click for constant-on at high-setting, click off and on again (within two seconds) for constant-on at low setting
    ...and it's HA-BK
    Last edited by Sigman; 01-21-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Fixed link...

When do you guys think this will be available?

$110

This light would be my first Surefire, but not for that price. That light is NOT worth more than $70 tops, and that is stretching it.

There is no reason why it should be that much money.

Except for the fact that people will pay that much.

This stinks. I really like everything about the light. The look, the design, the smoothness, the outputs, the runtime, the clickie, and especially the pocket-clip, but I just can't get over the price.
    Last edited by p1fiend; 01-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p1fiend View Post
    $110

This light would be my first Surefire, but not for that price. That light is NOT worth more than $70 tops, and that is stretching it.

This stinks. I really like everything about the light. The look, the design, the smoothness, the outputs, the runtime, the clickie, and especially the pocket-clip, but I just can't get over the price.
    ...aaaand here it goes again...

Would you guys give it a rest with the SF price bashing? The light's not even out, you have no clue as to how much it costs to develop, produce, and market that light.

Have you ever heard of a 2 stage clicky, with the addition of momentary on at both levels!!!?

SF lights are what they are, price and all. Don't like it? Buy a Mag or run to DX.

Sorry, guys, but this attitude is beyond ridiculous.

[/rant]

Very interesting light..........with the L1 and Titan, Surefire must believe that smaller 1 cell LED lights have merit in the "professional" market.

If one believes it is over-priced, under engineered or prone to issues, why would you buy? (perhaps you have a very high opinion of the value of your opinion and like to hear yourself speak??)

It would seem that if one hasn't touched or seen one and if numerous haven't used for a period of time to evaluate..........then to opine about too high a price and problems is simply trolling.......please buy something else, as all that you do is show your ignorance regarding the "business" of Manufacturer's. (Not to mention, Engineering, Manufacturing, Process Control, Quality Control, Sales, Marketing, Management and Financial issues)

Obviously, a forum is for those to express an opinion, but the continued posts that are simply IMO ridiculous are persistent regarding Surefire.

I would venture to say that Surefire has not intended CPF as the "prime" market for this or ANY of their offerings and it is amazing(to me) that any member, sight unseen would bash and complain about a Manufacturer that happens to be a leader in their industry, particularly if you really like hand held lighting????

Perhaps reading this forum and possessing a few flashlights makes one an expert in the field?? (Personally, I wonder if ANY that express these sentiments have ever Engineered, Manufactured, Designed, Sold or been involved in ANY aspect of Manufacturing of ANY product, ESPECIALLY a flashlight?)

jeffb

$110

$110

Are you kidding me?

That is a freaking bargain

Flashaholic

Whoa! Melikes! Mewants!

Looks like a great EDC that won't tear up your pockets.

Where's the linky link to more info on it?

Dunno. CPF search finds nothing on this E1B. Google finds nothing.

Maybe it's a Photoshop forgery?

edit: Nevermind. I see greenLED has already found it on Surefire's web site. I guess it must be real.

edit edit: They should have put the clip on the other direction, so you can clip it to your baseball cap. I wonder how it changes modes?
    Last edited by Ty_Bower; 01-16-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    The only reason a great many American families don’t own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy monthly payments.

Click on the image or greenLED's link.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post

Maybe it's a Photoshop forgery?
    Arc4+ mods/repair. LED drop in for SF E-Series. Onion Rings for SF A2.

Flashaholic

Man, that L1 Cree sure cleans up well. Looks like a great alternative for those who want something sleeker and more dressed up.

Me - I definitely want to play with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post

edit edit: They should have put the clip on the other direction, so you can clip it to your baseball cap. I wonder how it changes modes?
    If you take a close look at the clip design, you can see that it can be used on a cap also. Great clip design that lets you have the light lens up or down

Overall, looks like a pretty nice light. I kind of doubt I'll be owning one anytime soon (read: anytime soon after they're released), but looks nice nevertheless.

What I like is that it adds an option in the SureFire line that has smooth, sleek lines without much to catch or wear on clothes. Also, the output and runtimes are about perfect, especially for a 1-cell light. Add the black HA and good clip design (both bezel-up and bezel-down... why did no one, or at least I, never think of that before...), and it shapes up pretty well.

What I don't care for, however, is the tail switch. I do generally prefer clickies over twisties, all other things equal. And I guess it's cool that SureFire is now offering a 2-stage clicky. But what I've always liked about SureFire is that they have some of the best, no-nonsense, simple-as-can-be switching mechanisms. Other lights have been cool with all their modes and levels and such, but the beauty of a SureFire (to me) is that you just press it, and it goes on, exactly as you would expect it to, without having to put any thought into it. When using a flashlight, I don't want to have to explicitly call from memory every time exactly what I need to do to get another mode, or how long I need to wait before I can get back to the first mode again. I suppose I may be exaggerating this point a bit, but the Backup nevertheless seems to approach the realm of over-complicated multimode UI's.

And I must say, my immediate impression of the price was quite the opposite of the comment above. I was actually somewhat suprised at how INexpensive it is. I mean, the other lights in the SF line that come close in functionality and form to this one are the L1 and E1L, which are $135 and $99, respectively. Now, given that the Backup has a fairly powerful LED in it, and that it has 2 levels of output, I would expect the light to at least be around the $135 mark. Add to that the fact that they have a new, 2-stage, clicky tailcap, and I was expecting even a touch more expensive than the L1. But I digress...

Bottom line, it looks nice, with great form factor and perfect levels of brightness (would love to know whether the beam is designed more for flood or throw), but the switching mechanism is disappointing in its complexity (even if it is a lot simpler than most multi-mode lights out there). My hope, therefore, is that SureFire will offer a simple, twisty alternative, such as the A2/L1/L2 switch.

One last note... Is it just me, or does this light have no lock-out possibility for the tail cap?

Quote Originally Posted by zven View Post
    What I don't care for, however, is the tail switch. I do generally prefer clickies over twisties, all other things equal. And I guess it's cool that SureFire is now offering a 2-stage clicky. But what I've always liked about SureFire is that they have some of the best, no-nonsense, simple-as-can-be switching mechanisms. Other lights have been cool with all their modes and levels and such, but the beauty of a SureFire (to me) is that you just press it, and it goes on, exactly as you would expect it to, without having to put any thought into it. When using a flashlight, I don't want to have to explicitly call from memory every time exactly what I need to do to get another mode, or how long I need to wait before I can get back to the first mode again. I suppose I may be exaggerating this point a bit, but the Backup nevertheless seems to approach the realm of over-complicated multimode UI's.
    Since they mention a time limit for switching to low, I assume the 2-stage mechanism is part of the converter, and the tailcap is a standard, forward, momentary clicky. Might even be the same mechanism as the Z57/Z61. That's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    Since they mention a time limit for switching to low, I assume the 2-stage mechanism is part of the converter, and the tailcap is a standard, forward, momentary clicky. Might even be the same mechanism as the Z57/Z61. That's fine with me.
    Yeah, thinking about it like that, it probably is integrated into the light further than just having the stuff in the tail cap. And if that's true, it probably explains why it didn't cost as much as I expected. After all, it can cost that much more to program chips in a new way, especially compared to designing and setting up production for a whole new piece of physical hardware like the tailcap. (Especially something that's going to be frequently replaced, as SF clickies seem to be known for... I've had a 2 for 2 failure rate on mine.)

In the end, though, it does seem like it will excel at its intended purpose: backup. I think the L1 is more my cup of tea, but the 80/5 lumens levels are so tempting...

Enlightened

Comparing pictures, I'm fairly certain the tailcap and body are functionally identical to the standard E1e and E1L tailcap and body, with only the exterior machining (and clip) being different. As for the head, the base that screws onto the body appears to be the same as that of the KL1, KL4 and L1 head... so I think the E1B head (KLB?) should work on the 1-cell bodies we already have. I wonder if Surefire will release it separately?

I think it looks good! I like the lack of knurling, honestly - I do have pockets that have gotten torn up from my E1l and E2e knurling. Here's a picture comparison to the E1L...

Last edited by Az_Tibor; 01-16-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typppppppo

Quote Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
    5 and 80 lumens , 37 hr runtime sweet
    I don't like that Surefire quotes runtime that is dropping in brightness so much. They quote 37 hours of usable light at 5 lumens. I would rather see it stated as 15 hours of 5 lumens while running an additional 17 hours at declining levels below 5 lumens. It's a more usable description that can help me to decide which light better meets my needs.

Ken
    HDS EDC 60 Ultimate, Mac's Tri-EDC

So who out there with machining tools can make this clip for the SF bodies (E1L, E2L, A2, C2, M2 etc.)
    You'd probably want to bend up a long and short.
    I don't see SF offering these as an upgrade. And it doesn't look like it slips in the same. Looks like a ring with tail like NovaTac.

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    I don't see SF offering these as an upgrade. And it doesn't look like it slips in the same. Looks like a ring with tail like NovaTac.
    It is the same patented attachment point as used by the A2/E2e/M2/L1 etc
    I think it is a possibility that SureFire will at some point offer the two-way pocketclip as an accessory.

Banned

GreenLED.......I apologize if this was covered ( I didn't have time to read 6 pages) but where did you find this on surefires website. I followed your link and all but when I go to the site on my own I cannot find anything on it?
    Last edited by cv3po; 01-17-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cv3po View Post
    GreenLED.......I apologize if this was covered ( I didn't have time to read 6 pages) but where did you find this on surefires website. I followed your link and all but when I go to the site on my own I cannot find anything on it?
    Yeah, you're right. It was on the main flashlight page yesterday; I clicked on the link there and the resulting link is what I posted.

I see koala's pic and my link still take you to the e1b page. Peruse it while it's still hot!

Got it thank you

dupe sorry
    Last edited by yaesumofo; 01-17-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Default Re: Surefire E1B Backup

Apparently the "backup" was premiered on the web site a little prematurely.
    I suspect this was intended to be unveiled at the shot show.
    And now it appears to be completely gone.

It will be back. One can hope anyway.
    It really looks like a cool little number.
    Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

According to a Surefire rep this light was not supposed to be on Surefire's website yet. They said it should be available for pre-order on Feb 1st. No idea how long between pre-order and delivery though. Sweet light, you can bet my name will be on the list.
    Last edited by Daylo; 01-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.

According to a Surefire rep this light was not supposed to be on Surefire's website yet. They said it should be available for pre-order on Feb 1st. No idea how long between pre-order and delivery though. Sweet light, you can bet my name will be on the list.

Sorry for the duplicates, my connection flaked out
    Last edited by Daylo; 01-17-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Cool!

Price seems reasonably for “made in USA”, and for whatever its worth, I’m glad Surefire releases lights as slowly as they do. It’s a lot easier on my wallet that way!

I find it interesting that the clip is oriented opposite what nearly everyone else has done. No opinion weather that’s good or bad however.