Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: SureFire E1B Backup

Default Re: SureFire E1B Backup

Quote Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
    5 and 80 lumens , 37 hr runtime sweet
    I don't like that Surefire quotes runtime that is dropping in brightness so much. They quote 37 hours of usable light at 5 lumens. I would rather see it stated as 15 hours of 5 lumens while running an additional 17 hours at declining levels below 5 lumens. It's a more usable description that can help me to decide which light better meets my needs.

Ken
    HDS EDC 60 Ultimate, Mac's Tri-EDC

i don't really like the design, but output and two stages i like

Flashaholic*

It looks awesome! I can't wait!!!!!

"High first is dumb, would you want to speakers to start at top volume"
    and

"$110 is too much money, but I'll pay $75 for a Fenix"
    I don't understand these people at all!

What planet are they from? How do you compare speaker volume with a tactical flashlight? Do they use flashlights in the field or just in their living room?

This new light looks incredible and really came out of nowhere. I really wasn't expecting something cool like this. I wonder how it will affect L1 sales, since it seems like an improved version of the L1 to me.

Only thing I noticed is that perhaps it could use some more knurling on the body/tailcap, but I'll have to hold it first. I know it is meant as a deep concealment type light so I'm not surprised it lacks some of the rougher knurling present on typical Surefire lights.
    ampdude

Hopefully, by the time these are shipping,

SureFire will have added an S-O-S mode.

(okay, okay . . . . i was only kidding !)

_

And I just got my L1 Cree in the mail today...

Love the L1 but this looks really cool. I like the non knurling and black color. A little more dressy and would be great for out on the town, very small and dark. Great clip design. The new SFs are getting better and better, and the old ones are still awesome!

Should be interesting. Well, it already is interesting, really

Regards,
    Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by p1fiend View Post
    $110

This light would be my first Surefire, but not for that price. That light is NOT worth more than $70 tops, and that is stretching it.

There is no reason why it should be that much money.

Except for the fact that people will pay that much.

This stinks. I really like everything about the light. The look, the design, the smoothness, the outputs, the runtime, the clickie, and especially the pocket-clip, but I just can't get over the price.

Are you kidding me?

That is a freaking bargain

Flashaholic*

This will open the doors to a wider customer range (i.e. more civilian/sheeple friendly looking, heh). It's a great idea. Next up, AA light.

4 pages and nobody has said it. . .

"Where's the disorienting strobe mode?!!!"

C'mon, you know you want it!

I like it :]
    Heaven must be full of Bullterriers and radishes :]

!

Quote Originally Posted by magic_elf View Post
    Just curious, how come size 15 seem to only appear (and very active) in any thread about surefire? Never seem to see him around in other threads? Are you surefire rep or just an enthusiast for their brand?
    I am not a 'SureFire rep' - 'just an enthusiast for their brand'. I do post on non-SureFire threads although this is rare - it tends to be when I'm interested or familiar with other flashlight brands. I try to only post where I've got physical experience of the products in question, or sufficient background to help explain rational etc.
    I don't really care whether or not anybody buys SureFire or not. It's when people misrepresent or are incorrect about SureFire the company or product that I feel I can help by posting clarification or a point of view from a different perspective.

I am friends with PK (Paul Kim) at SureFire and tend to stick up for my friends when they aren't in a position to stick up for themselves. SureFire don't have a good track record of representatives being made welcome here on CPF. I'm sure the same is so for other manufacturers and I feel that is why we are so poorly represented by industry - we don't make it easy for companies to approach and communicate with us.

So I post in threads about SureFires to help provide detailed and accurate information about SureFire's product ranges and the huge variety of options they have. I also post to offer my opinion and perspective on the reasons behind the things SureFire does as I have developws an understanding and history as a result of getting to know SureFire products and company over the last decade (or thereabouts).

Al
    Last edited by Size15's; 01-17-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Oh man... There goes my money!

Things that I like:
    80 lumens on high
    5 lumens on low
    Optional clip position (bezel up, bezel down)
    Small size

Things that I dislike:
    Two-stage tailcap switch: press for momentary-on at high setting, release and press again (within two seconds) for momentary-on at low setting; click for constant-on at high-setting, click off and on again (within two seconds) for constant-on at low setting

To become PERFECT, it could have a L1 button (press/momentary and twist for ON)... and a WHITE LED, not green or purple or yellow!

Hmm... Probably it will have more throw than the L1 Lumamax Cree, right ?

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

If they're going to have pushbutton electronic switching, the UI they chose is about as good as we can hope for. The fancy two-level pushbutton in the L1 is probably a big chunk of its cost and a contributor to its size.

Anyone know if this light will be made in the same CA factory as other SF lights?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MorpheusT1 View Post
    Are you kidding me?

That is a freaking bargain
    I know... I was expecting to see $190 or something as the price on Surefire's website. It looks like a great little high quality bargain priced American made EDC.
    ampdude

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    What is wierd -
    1. Looks cheap, as Bernhard points out, it looks like a "chinese style" as people are fond of saying here, that has random words like Police,stronglight, and *gasp* backup?whyyyy
    Crenshaw
    It is called a backup, because that is what it is for. Backup for a LEO, or as a concealed carry light for a Detective is what it says on the web site.

Carrying a knurled, strike bezeled light, one thin layer (undershorts...or maybe not) from bare skin 16 hours a day is no fun. Main tools that are carried in leather holsters on my belt or in the car can be knurled, big headed and sharp edged.

The tapered head will mean much less discomfort with the light in my pants, and it will print less. In dress clothes, my backup light is usually carried in a belly band, between my shirt and underwear, most often right in front, just below my belt buckle. Other EDC "tools" are carried in the belly band around the waist. For a Cop, CCW permit holder, or just a CN (Closet Nerd) who wants to be less obvious, this light looks like a worthy choice... for about the price of 4 magazines worth of good self defense ammunition.

But even in a regular Joe's pants pocket, this will print, poke, or wear less than most other similarly rated lights. It is now at the top of my wish list of lights to try. I wouldn't care if they called it a Wuss Light.
    NextLight

from good, to better, to ...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Federal LG View Post
    Oh man... There goes my money!

Things that I like:
    80 lumens on high
    5 lumens on low
    Optional clip position (bezel up, bezel down)
    Small size

Things that I dislike:
    Two-stage tailcap switch: press for momentary-on at high setting, release and press again (within two seconds) for momentary-on at low setting; click for constant-on at high-setting, click off and on again (within two seconds) for constant-on at low setting

To become PERFECT, it could have a L1 button (press/momentary and twist for ON)... and a WHITE LED, not green or purple or yellow!

Hmm... Probably it will have more throw than the L1 Lumamax Cree, right ?
    I thought it did have the L1/A2 style switch and a White LED. I'll have to look at the Surefire page closer. Still looks cool though.

*edit*
    Disregard, your sarcasm went over my head.
    ampdude

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's View Post
    I am friends with PK (Paul Kim) at SureFire and tend to stick up for my friends when they aren't in a position to stick up for themselves. SureFire don't have a good track record of representatives being made welcome here on CPF. I'm sure the same is so for other manufacturers and I feel that is why we are so poorly represented by industry - we don't make it easy for companies to approach and communicate with us.
    Hi, PK !!

If I could only get one with a textured reflector in it instead of that TIR Optic...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey2002 View Post
    Hi, PK !!

If I could only get one with a textured reflector in it instead of that TIR Optic...
    Yea, I'm not a huge fan of optics myself. But then I'm not big on textured reflectors either, prefer the smoother ones for more throw. I have a few lights with smoother reflectors and the beam is still beautiful and artifact free, but they throw better. This makes a big difference outdoors and in larger indoor areas.
    ampdude

Flashaholic*

I've found that the current optic in the L1 is perfect for practical outdoor use. I gauge the usefulness of a flashlight by how far it can throw a spot as well as by how well the spill will help me see dog poo when I walk in grass (don't ask). The L1 does both these things well. In fact, spill that is too bright tends to reflect back at you, which makes it impossible to see whatever the spot portion of the beam is directed at. The L1 optic balances these things almost perfectly. The E1B will be pretty awesome if it has the same optic. And all this is coming for a hardcore fan of reflectors over optics... I just really found this particular one to be designed very well. I just wish they would make one in the grayish color to match my VG1 body... that would be very cool if those pieces all fit together.
    Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by ampdude View Post
    I know... I was expecting to see $190 or something as the price on Surefire's website. It looks like a great little high quality bargain priced American made EDC.
    Ditto. I was thinking with the features and output, it HAS to be more than an L1, which I happily paid for. The fact that it is considerably LESS than an L1 means it is going to find it's way into my pocket at the earliest opportunity. Nice job, SF!

NRA Life Member since 1979

It must sell for less than an L1 because it costs less than an L1 to make. Still it's only 25 bucks.
    My disappointment is that the L1 does not have the 80/5 output bezel. Aside from that, from what we can read or see so far, I like everything about the L1 better than the E1B (and btw it does look Chinese to me).

Well ... supposedly the L1 is actually putting out around 80 lumens. I wonder if surefire's advertised 80 IS 80 or more like 100.

???

Anyways - I love my L1 Cree. I will let you guys do the testing/run charts before I buy anything

If you're friends with PK, you should have him Hire Milky Then they can put him in charge of the L1 manufacturing line and there will be Milky L1s a plenty!
    Last edited by Fooboy; 01-17-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fooboy View Post
    If you're friends with PK, you should have him Hire Milky Then they can put him in charge of the L1 manufacturing line and there will be Milky L1s a plenty!
    If SureFire (PK) wanted Milky he would likely already be working for SureFire.
    If Milky wants to work for SureFire then he needs to take care of that for himself. If my help was needed then that is a bit of a concern.

I'm sure that if Milky started to work for SureFire and the L1 was changed to incorporate his ideas of how it should be, then CPF members would start championing the next person who modifies the changed L1!

Al

Lol...im sure surefire has thier own wing of highly paid designers...not that milky isnt good, mind you.

Size15s, but we are quite nice to representitives of manufacturers right? like we seem nice to pk as far as i have read, to peter, to 4sevens..

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Size15s, but we are quite nice to representitives of manufacturers right? like we seem nice to pk as far as i have read, to peter, to 4sevens...
    Then why haven't Pelican, Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Inova, Laser Devices etc, and SureFire got representatives on CPF and their own sub-forums?

PK is a special case.

Then why haven't Pelican, Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics, Inova, Laser Devices etc, and SureFire got representatives on CPF and their own sub-forums?

PK is a special case.
    You know I thought I asked Shasa about sub forums and subsequently read that there was some criteria making sub forums unavailable to businesses not "started" here on CPF.
    I know I will be corrected if this is wrong (try to be kind) But I must say I would love a set up like that on CPF so that I would not have to wade through a lot of stuff that I am not interested in.

Flashaholic*

PK is a special case.
    That cause he is a major weenie just like most of us.

The light looks great and Surefire seems to of answered the call of what many in the LEO arena has asked for and wanted. As for any dislikes or likes I would much rather hold it in my hands and test it myself before making any statements about what can be changed.

As for the price $110.00, that is very reasonable in my opinion.

I was just about to get a L1. Now I'm not sure. On the L1 I prefer the overall design, color, and switch. On the E1B I really like the new clip design and it is a little shorter and costs a little less. I'm not sure if I prefer 10/65 lumens or 5/80 lumens. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer and try them out side by side.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast