Foxfury Scout
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: * P60 Flashlight List {host}

Flashaholic*

Default Re: * P60 Flashlight List {host}

I wonder if this light is P60 capable? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14902 based on the dissembled screen shot.

Granted most of the P60 dropins at DX are better with 2xcells configurations versus a single 14500 to 18650 as there is the nice http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/ meant for one 3.7V input source as I ordered the dropin and has finally shipped after 11 days wait.
    Last edited by Flashfirstask?later; 08-15-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashfirstask?later View Post
    I wonder if this light is P60 capable? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14902 based on the dissembled screen shot.

Granted most of the P60 dropins at DX are better with 2xcells configurations versus a single 14500 to 18650 as there is the nice http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/ meant for one 3.7V input source as I ordered the dropin and has finally shipped after 11 days wait.
    +

That's a heck of a find!!!
    To my eyes, that sure looks like a standard P60 drop-in standin' there.

You may have found the 'first' single 14500 P60 host,..
    ... I'll put it on the list.
    Last edited by orbital; 08-16-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: add

I'm looking for a cheap host for P60 modules, so going with Xenon based lights.

I'm considering the Superfire WF-501B and the Romisen RX-A from DX.

Romisen lights in general seem to be well built and the Romisen at DX is only a $1.03 more than the WF-501B.

I've seen numerous reviews of the WF-501B but have not seen any reviews of the RX-A here, at DX, or on the web.

Anyone have any comments on the RX-A?

Enlightened

Do any of the pentagon lights fit this profile? I don't have one of their lights but they seem very well made; without the latest emitters

Default Re: Best host for a drop in?

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    Overall my best P60 host/chassis is the Dereelight CL1H...
    It has a super HA III coating, its well heatsinked and uses a forward switch.
    I agree with this it is a well manufactured little P60 host. The only variation is that I have the CL1H V4 in black. Great little host, can't wait to see how the Malkoff M60 I ordered goes in it when it arrives.
    I'm not a flashaholic, flashaholics go to meetings!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDizzy View Post
    Do any of the pentagon lights fit this profile? I don't have one of their lights but they seem very well made; without the latest emitters
    +

Great question,...looking at the PentagonLight Xenon Lights replacement modules,
    it really looks like they could be a new Manufacturer/Brand for the P60 host list.

This is the replacement PentagonLight Xenon module:

http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.146

I'll put PentagonLight on the List with 'to be confirmed'...if there are no objections.

~ Thanks for the input!

Enlightened

I saw a couple more possibilities. Phoebus 3w led flashlight
    Dark ops hellfighter x-4, x-8.

If anyone knows if these are compatible let us know.

FWIW... DX modules can be modified to fit the TOP stryker. You have to grind/file the barrel of the module reflector down to about 20.75mm diameter, and the module drops right into the body of the light. The body inside diameter for the TOP is about 20.85mm.

If you want to ditch the large spring, and have the pill ground directly to the body-tube you have to grind about 1.5mm off the bezel end of the body.

DX sells reflectors separately for under $4, so if you screw it up your module is not completely toast.

I modded a DX11836 to fit into my light and it works great. I'll post some detailed pics, dimensions and stuff tonight.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

+

List updated,

there are approx. 100 P60 host lights to choose from!*

*give a take a few..

heres how I moddd my TOP stryker for DX drop in modules. So with this mod it will use the OEM Stryker Xenon/LED, P60 Xenon, and DX modules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjTFJldVIQ

As always, nice job kramer.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    heres how I moddd my TOP stryker for DX drop in modules. So with this mod it will use the OEM Stryker Xenon/LED, P60 Xenon, and DX modules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjTFJldVIQ
    Nice work. Just another thought to modify this flashlight: I wonder if it would be better to bore out the inside of the tube where the module goes in? That way, you have more flexibility with swapping in and out various modules. If anyone here has any idea on what tools are needed to do this properly, please tell us.

Default The WF-501 & RC-M4 flashlights as P60 Module Hosts

Note to moderators: I would post this to the “P-60 Host” thread, but somehow the number of pics discouraged me. You can move it to your better judgment.

Greetings all!

Only today occurred to me that I have all the versions of the basic WF-501 flashlight that some members prefer as a cheep host to the P-60 LED module of their liking.
    These are various flavors of the Superfire WF-501 and the Romisen RC-M4.

So here it goes:

Did you know that are 2 versions of the Superfire 501 9V Xenon flashlight? At least the ones from DX and KD are different. (BTW the Ultrafire WF-505B Xenon & the Ultrafire Cree P4 version are a cross of them)

Here is a combo pic of them with the Romisen RC-M4 added.

The KD version in the middle has a richer finish a more aggressive non-slip pattern and it is a bit better overall. Both the Superfires are machined bearing the distinct ribbed marks but the Romisen seems to be made from powder aluminum???

Update 12/01:
    1) There is a WF-501B with a R2 drop-in for sale in DX. Fellow member glenda17 kindly informed me that it is somwwhat like the Romisen RC-M4 one.
    2) 2 camo versions of this flashlight appeard in KD, from the pics the look like the RC-M4 in style too.

There are more differences inside. Here is what the inside of the bezel looks like.

The DX version is at the left and the RC-M4 is at the right. The DX uses a press fit ring to secure the glass (which is loose in my case) and the others a screw-in ring for the purpose. The DX version bezel is a smaller one but the KD WF-501 and the Romisen look the same but they do not match. Now have a look where the arrow points. The o-ring has exited its channel due to too much tight twisting/fitting of the bezel. It has happened to me before so get your thread locking compound ready.

BTW the tailcaps and their threads are all the same and they interchange.

Another difference is the battery spacer in the KD version.

It is there to index the Xenon lamp springs properly, and act as a contact for rechargeable cells that have no button.

Here is one more pic of the removed spacer:

Now there are also differences in the switch. The DX has a switch like the one on the left and the KD and Romisen have one like that on the right. Basically they both different version of the same switch (also found as DX sku.5602)

Here is one more pic of the Romisen switch disassembled:

BTW here is what the Romisen LED module looks like next to a Solarforce pattern module. Threads are different from any other module I have encountered. No cross-fitting of reflectors.

Oh! I almost forget. The Superfires definitely take an 18650 battery, but eyeballing the Romisen I do not know since it is a bit narrower.

The Ultrafire WF-505B Xenon in a brief:
    Looks like the DX version on the outside and has a press fit glass ring. Dimensionally and switch wise it is like the KD version but with a spacer that cannot be removed. It will not accept 18650s. And without the spacer it would be an Ultrafire WF-501B Cree)

The Ultrafire 501B Cree in a brief:
    Well things are really complicated here. Lights from both DX and KD have paseed through my hands (and have ended up in freinds'). Of what I remember. The KD bought ones are like the KD xenon. They had a 18650 tube and a battery spacer. TheD X bought ones were like the DX Xenon equivalent, had a press fitted lens ring, and could not accept 18650s!
    Any more info is welcomed.

The single cell versions in a brief
    pending....

Sooooo....

What would I choose? I definitely like the old-time machined way of making flashlights but I would stay away from the DX version (which came as scratched as it shows in the pics).

I would only choose the Romisen next but I kinda believe that finish is a baked-on and not anodized. It made a scratch easily to it.

But now that you have all the data you can make your own pick...

All the best, Kostas
    Last edited by kosPap; 12-01-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enLIGHTenment View Post
    Anyone have any experience using an M60 (or any other 3rd party dropin) with Plia's GL2? How well does the GL2 tolerate non-Pila P60 dropins?

I searched, but near as I can tell, enLIGHTenment's question was never answered. I have the same exact question: how well does the Pila GL2 tolerate non-Pila P60 dropins, including but not limited to Dereelight, Malkoff, Wolf Eyes, etc.?
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Update to post 162 above

Here is a single cell WF-501A comparison.

On top there is the “Compact 3W Cree Flashlight” from DX (sku 7053). The lower one is the 3.7 Xenon version bought from QualityChinaGoods. The DX has a richer finish and do not the differences on the head and Curling

On the inside the DX version has a battery spacer that I could not remove with reasonable force. Also both lights have the screw in lens retaining ring and the tailcap switch is a of the sassed kind (see above)

And here is a shot of the LED module. It has a silver emitter, the usual OP reflector and the board came with no soldering on the pill.
    Measurements are pending....but light is LOW for todays standards. Either the Cree is not even a P4 bin or the board is optimixed for a RCR123 at 3.6 volts. Can anyone tell?

Till later, Kostas

Quote Originally Posted by kosPap View Post
    Update to post 162 above

Here is a single cell WF-501A comparison.

On top there is the “Compact 3W Cree Flashlight” from DX (sku 7053). The lower one is the 3.7 Xenon version bought from QualityChinaGoods. The DX has a richer finish and do not the differences on the head and Curling

On the inside the DX version has a battery spacer that I could not remove with reasonable force. Also both lights have the screw in lens retaining ring and the tailcap switch is a of the sassed kind (see above)

And here is a shot of the LED module. It has a silver emitter, the usual OP reflector and the board came with no soldering on the pill.
    Measurements are pending....but light is LOW for todays standards. Either the Cree is not even a P4 bin or the board is optimixed for a RCR123 at 3.6 volts. Can anyone tell?

Till later, Kostas
    I don't think its possible to tell how much current the board sends to the emitter just by looking at it. You could measure how much it draws from the cell, and ball-park it from there. I speculate that the low output stems from a low-BIN Cree, combined with a low current DC board.

Default Cheapest P60-ish host?

Well, I've got a Pila Q5 250 Lumen module on the way which leaves me with a perfectly good 120 lumen drop in laying around. I can't have that, so I've decided to look around and see how cheaply I can find a drop in to hold it. I don't think it's 100% P60 compatible however since I don't believe it fits in the Surefire G2's that my work had previously. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam e tenebris ad lucem!
    LaymansLights.com Now on Facebook and Twitter.

Default Re: Cheapest P60-ish host?

can you post pics of the 120L module?
    The only place I know of that sells just the host, with no light module is Lighthound.
    http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce..._p_6-2471.html

Every once in a while 6Ps with blown P60-Xenon modules pop up on ebay, but they are usually around $40.

I'm not sure what length (cell count) flashlight you are looking for, but here's some cheap options:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.903
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13926

they aren't terrible for the price. The switches like to come loose inside the tailcap (if it's like my ultrafires that look the same). Just have to re-tighten the nut (threaded retaining ring thingy).

Problem is, for a few dollars more, you can get one with a cree module already installed from DX, so seems kinda pointless to buy the xenon version as a host for a module you have, when you can get one that comes with a module anyways, lol...

You'll need the outer spring for the Pila to fit in many of those ultrafire/superfire/romenson hosts, and it's possible the Pila module will be too long for some of those hosts.

search cabelas for xpg combo, they were selling a high quality 6P clone and a knife for 19.99
    ---happy searching!---

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I don't think its possible to tell how much current the board sends to the emitter just by looking at it. You could measure how much it draws from the cell, and ball-park it from there. I speculate that the low output stems from a low-BIN Cree, combined with a low current DC board.
    Evaluation of the 1-cell drop-in continued (see post 164)

Well it seems to me the board is optimized for Li-Ion after all.

Here are some measurements

Code:
                        Voltage no load  Voltage load     Amp Draw        Lux Box
    3 x AA NiMh      4.11                 3.7                    0.45                  323
    1 x CR123         3.06                 2.99                  0.09                  83
    Am I correct?
    (BTW the 323 lux rading on MY lightbox is close to P4 performance)

Enjoy, Kostas

+

Kostas, thanks for all the good info...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap host for P60 modules, so going with Xenon based lights.

I'm considering the Superfire WF-501B and the Romisen RX-A from DX.

Romisen lights in general seem to be well built and the Romisen at DX is only a $1.03 more than the WF-501B.

I've seen numerous reviews of the WF-501B but have not seen any reviews of the RX-A here, at DX, or on the web.

Anyone have any comments on the RX-A?
    Received my RX-A today. Actually decided to order it after I read your post. Yes, it is a nice host and built quality at the price is quite good. 11836 fitted in mine. Spring must still be attached to the drop-in to make contact and unfortunately 18650's does not fit. Tailcap clicky is also quite noisy. All-in-all I am pleased with the host.

hmm now my fears are confirmed. probably the M4 version will not accpet the 18650 too...

TNX mate fo the info, kostas

Quote Originally Posted by kosPap View Post
    hmm now my fears are confirmed. probably the M4 version will not accpet the 18650 too...

TNX mate fo the info, kostas
    +

The Romisen RC-M4 takes Protected 18650 perfectly.

It's one of the best values in a P60 host,.. well made, good fit & finish.

Recommended!

Does anyone know whether or not the "Police" branded light at Lighthound is P60 compatible?

http://www.lighthound.com/Police-Chi..._p_6-1548.html

Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam e tenebris ad lucem!
    LaymansLights.com Now on Facebook and Twitter.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkSagus View Post
    Does anyone know whether or not the "Police" branded light at Lighthound is P60 compatible?

http://www.lighthound.com/Police-Chi..._p_6-1548.html
    I recall somebody posting a thread asking if this sort of upgrade is possible and the replies was no.

Flashaholic*

Default Cheap hosts for the M60's

Of course, I have Surefires for my M60's, but I'm curious if some of the cheaper P60 hosts will accomodate the M60 drop-ins as well.

The two I have thought about are the SolarForce L2 and the Romisen RC-M4. Since the Romisen will take an 18650, that would be nice with advent of the M30's coming out.

Anyone tried these with the Malkoff drop-ins?
    Don't sweat the small stuff...

Enlightened

Default Re: Cheap hosts for the M60's

I have both Surefire and Solarforce hosts, one regular Solarforce and one bigger for 18650's.

I think the Solarforce make great hosts for any of the drop ins I have mostly because they are cheap, if they get beat up, it just doesn't hurt as much. I do wish they had the option of crenelated bezel or smooth, rather than purchasing seperately.

I only recently got the Malkoff, and have not tried it in one of those hosts. I am sure Iv'e seen others here who have.

I also have a Leef body and a Fivemega body, they are verry nice, but you are left needing bezel and switch, and not as cheap.

Edit : just a quick note, if mine and the last post seem oddly disconnected, they were merged here from another thread, I normally try to make more sense than this (not that I always do
    Last edited by redsfairlane; 11-24-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post

Huntlight FT-01PJ, FT-01X SE (Luxeon versions on both)
    Is there some reason the Cree version of these lights won't work?

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast