Coleman Retro Rechargeable Lantern

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have experience with this lantern? It looks great, albeit heavy. It comes with an 11W twist tube, but I was wondering if it could be fitted with the 15W twist from the packaway 8D? If so, I realize runtime would be reduced. Any comments would be appreciated.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Anyone have experience with this lantern? It looks great, albeit heavy. It comes with an 11W twist tube, but I was wondering if it could be fitted with the 15W twist from the packaway 8D? If so, I realize runtime would be reduced. Any comments would be appreciated.

I just double checked, you can use the 15w from the 8D version of the Retro Lantern (The pack-away has a different base). As you said, your run time will be diminished though.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooh, a SLA-rechargeable 15W lantern! Order placed. I'll report back here after recieving and trying this combo.

The runtime should go from 6/9hrs (hi/lo) to 3.5+/5.5 or so, I'm thinking.

I wonder how much difference there is between the stock 11W and the 15W. Fluoro lanterns come in 7, 8, 9, 11 and 15W ratings; how much light difference is there? I will only have an Energizer folding lantern of 8W (2x4) to compare against. You know, now that I think of it, if fluoro lamps are rated in the thousands of hours, why are replacement lamps such a big deal (unless you break the lamp). Do small battery powered lanterns underdrive and damage the lamps?

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
Oooh, a SLA-rechargeable 15W lantern! Order placed. I'll report back here after recieving and trying this combo.

The runtime should go from 6/9hrs (hi/lo) to 3.5+/5.5 or so, I'm thinking.

I wonder how much difference there is between the stock 11W and the 15W. Fluoro lanterns come in 7, 8, 9, 11 and 15W ratings; how much light difference is there? I will only have an Energizer folding lantern of 8W (2x4) to compare against. You know, now that I think of it, if fluoro lamps are rated in the thousands of hours, why are replacement lamps such a big deal (unless you break the lamp). Do small battery powered lanterns underdrive and damage the lamps?

No, the bulbs should last for 2000-3000 hours

daveman

Enlightened
Blacklight, any word on emitter upgrades for Coleman's exponent line? I've been waiting for a while.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blacklight, any comment on the percieved brightness levels between the various wattage fluoro lamps available? Also, what happens when a Coleman fluoro lantern is on "low"? If the tube isn't underdriven when on high, is it on low? Could you explain? I've also seen a few posts stating that there isn't too much difference between the two. Part of the reason for my question is what would be the differnece in brightness and runtime in the Retro Rechargeable: The 11W on high w/ 6hr runtime, or the 15W on low w/5.5hr runtime (approx)?

daveman

Enlightened
Which product, some are in now.
I'm refering to the 3xcr123 and 4xAA exponent lamps. They came out with P4 XR-Es in them and I'm curious when Coleman will put a higher binned emitter (Q4 or Q5) in them. Thanks.

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
No, the bulbs should last for 2000-3000 hours

Quick question...I thought running the CFL lights down to "dead" on their batteries -killed- the cfl's they used.

I'm only going on "way past experience" from the 80's and 90's....but is it still true that running the batts down to the lower voltages really kills the bulb? I remember replacing the bulb every couple of sets back in the day...but they were lanterns (not coleman) that I had drained down to almost dead. Is this still true?

Just wondering...bought the grand-rents one of the 8 cell non-rechargables at xmas.

Blacklight

Enlightened
I'm refering to the 3xcr123 and 4xAA exponent lamps. They came out with P4 XR-Es in them and I'm curious when Coleman will put a higher binned emitter (Q4 or Q5) in them. Thanks.

As a running change next orders will have Q2's, and then after June production will have Q3's, there just aren't enough Q4 or Q% yet to support any meaningful runs.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Quick question...I thought running the CFL lights down to "dead" on their batteries -killed- the cfl's they used.

I'm only going on "way past experience" from the 80's and 90's....but is it still true that running the batts down to the lower voltages really kills the bulb? I remember replacing the bulb every couple of sets back in the day...but they were lanterns (not coleman) that I had drained down to almost dead. Is this still true?

Just wondering...bought the grand-rents one of the 8 cell non-rechargables at xmas.

Potential over time it can cause darkening of the bulbs, but we don't see it happen much with units we have tested

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, thread hijack!

:nana:

Back to the Retro Lantern....

Blacklight, any info on these questions? Just got my lantern, and will try the 15W bulb replacing the 11W stocker tonight.

Blacklight, any comment on the percieved brightness levels between the various wattage fluoro lamps available? Also, what happens when a Coleman fluoro lantern is on "low"? If the tube isn't underdriven when on high, is it on low? Could you explain? I've also seen a few posts stating that there isn't too much difference between the two. Part of the reason for my question is what would be the differnece in brightness and runtime in the Retro Rechargeable: The 11W on high w/ 6hr runtime, or the 15W on low w/5.5hr runtime (approx)?

:sssh:

daveman

Enlightened
As a running change next orders will have Q2's, and then after June production will have Q3's, there just aren't enough Q4 or Q% yet to support any meaningful runs.
Thanks for the update, Blacklight. You'll definitely want to start a thread to let the forum know when the upgrades are out.

Sorry Phaserburn :nana:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob, daveman.

Well, the 15W does fit and work nicely in the Retro in place of the stock 11W. Seems like quite a nice upgrade, if prolonged runtime isn't your goal.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyi, the nightlight on this lantern is actually a 12V/.15A incan bulb (screw base) behind an amber lens. It's brighter by far than the amber led on many other lanterns. Good for kids, where the single led often isn't enough to get them comfortable, especially if you've been using the 15W, 400lu fluoro.