• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Built a Mule LE today

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I had originally planned to wait for the GDuP converter from the Shoppe. But that beautiful (engine-less) Mule EN sitting on my desk was calling.

My Aleph LE kit and GD750 converter arrived today. I had a Q5 from a previous group buy.

Using Don's LE assembly instructions, I actually got the thing built, wired and potted. And the best part...it works! Took about 1.5 hours.

It's a great little light! Even put in a GITD boot with trimmed post for a nice, easy click.

Being a nearly complete novice, I really appreciate that Don and others have taken the time to document their techniques. It would not have otherwise been possible to figure this out.

:twothumbs

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Now, when are you getting a lathe?

I thought mind-reading was prohibited on these forums?

Seriously, I was just looking at "Learn to Lathe" video DVD's. You gave me a great laugh and scared me at the same time.

.....I'm not sure I want to know what comes next.

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I thought mind-reading was prohibited on these forums?

Seriously, I was just looking at "Learn to Lathe" video DVD's. You gave me a great laugh and scared me at the same time.

.....I'm not sure I want to know what comes next.

Mind reading as a telepathic/esp type thing is, but I just shined a bright light at your head and it illuminated what you were thinking...and as for what comes next well, you already know that don't you?

More money more money more money (spent that is) lol :wave:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What!!?? no pictures?? Did you use an aleph kit with E-screw or the XR can?? Did you raise the emmiter via the Shop XR emmiter board?? I want to build my own Cree engine but Don's tutorial covers Lux engine build up... Ive never seen any pictures of an actual Cree build.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Did you use an aleph kit with E-screw or the XR can?? Did you raise the emmiter via the Shop XR emmiter board?? I want to build my own Cree engine but Don's tutorial covers Lux engine build up... Ive never seen any pictures of an actual Cree build.

I just used the E-screw kit and jury rigged the lux board. I am so new at this, I didn't know I should use the XR can and board. BTW, I find that knowing what to order is nearly as difficult as how to build it. Since there is no reflector to focus, I figured that just getting the emitter on there would do for this attempt.

Anyway, I never said it was pretty....just that it worked. I was tempted to say I loaned my camera to a friend. But hey, I've been on CPF long enough that I can take a public "stoning". So, here:

LE_1.jpg

[above] Those ugly little bent bare wires are "legs" that connect the emitter to the board pads. I give myself one point for not getting solder on the LED ring.

LE_2.jpg

[above] I had to solder a small brass washer on the anode, since no amount of solder "blob" would raise it enough to make battery contact. Works fine.

LE_3.jpg

[above] Need to center the masking ring. Have a glow ring coming from Sgt. LED.

LE_4.jpg

[above] Proof - even an idiot can light an LED

The good news is that for the price of another can, converter and emitter - I can go back and do it more correctly. Also, if you ever see this LE on B/S/T - you have been warned!:duck:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it looks great man!! Good Job!! How the thermal?? It is transfering heat well? You should feel it in the head of the flashlight... Other than that , you did a great job, it looks pro to me.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
How the thermal?? It is transfering heat well? You should feel it in the head of the flashlight.

Cuso - It transfers heat very well. There is a nice blob of Arctic Alumina epoxy behind the Cree. Yes, the head gets nice and warm with prolonged use.

Ctechlite - I put a wrap of Kapton tape around the LED ring before soldering to keep wires / solder from bonding to the ring.

Thanks guys!