Newbie just finished building M@G Cree (5 cree)

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
After gathering alot of informations from CPF i finally build my own, for first timer like me this turns into an extremely difficult mod but at the end i finally made it. One thing for sure, it was WORTH IT!!!
this thing is really really bright :nana: . Time spent: 5 hours :)

LED: Using 5 Cree Q2 driven @1A.
Reflector : DX 17mm Reflector, dremeled to fit
Heatsink: Multisink by download
Power: 14 Sanyo 2700.
Window: still using plastic window.

upyJ4ny.jpg

oFo09ru.jpg

m99MqTJ.jpg

Entire room lights up source only from the MagCree.

am i officially a flashaholic now? :)

Thanks.

UPDATE:

A whole setup moved to 3D body + Maxflex Driver and Modified Mag switch to work with Maxflex switch input.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Newbie just finished M@G Cree (5 cree)

very nice :twothumbs now get the ucl

and what reflectors you using ,it looks like it has threads as if pulled from other lights

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast

very nice :twothumbs now get the ucl

and what reflectors you using ,it looks like it has threads as if pulled from other lights

Reflector is actually from DealExtreme its 18.5mm in diameter i am in budget and they are cheap, i have to dremel it just to make it fits because i want 5 cree inside...I have several Smooth reflectors and planing to have alternating OP-SMO-OP reflector for better throw. I will dremel the thread later so the reflector will sits even better....

I have second MagHotwire project running side by side with MagCree project, i ordered UCL and boro lens for both project but still not arrived :)

BTW. that avatar looks really cool, 8 Cree??? that must be crazy!! any advice on building one?

Thanks...

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that is quite amazing for a first time modder. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with us.

sawlight

Enlightened

Wow, that is quite amazing for a first time modder. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with us.

NO DOUBT!!!!!! Well done!!!!!:welcome:

When can I send you mine?

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
rizky_p said:
After gathering alot of informations from CPF i finally build my own, for first timer like me this turns into an extremely difficult mod but at the end i finally made it. One thing for sure, it was WORTH IT!!!
this thing is really really bright :nana: . Time spent: 5 hours :)

LED: Using 5 Cree Q2 driven @1A.
Reflector : DX 17mm Reflector, dremeled to fit
Heatsink: Multisink by download
Power: 14 Sanyo 2700.
Window: still using plastic window.
Just cheap and perfect!, Could You please post some outdoor beamshots, i would like to see how theese DX reflectors perform.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for nice words :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Basically i dont have much money to make this mod "perfect" the first time. I was planning to add proper boost regulator for the next stage. Currently it is just a simple and plain wirewound ceramic resistor, i know this 5W resistor is overkill but this is the only one i can get around the house that matched the required ohm value. When freshly charged all 14 Sanyos and 1 ohm resistor will give exactly 1.2A to LEDs and give ample room when the voltage drops further and i know it will drop fairly quickly as the battery sag to its normal working range this is a problem with resistor. But so far i'm quite satisfied with the performance despite using only a resistor and no noticeable drop in brightness even after 10 minutes of uses(on and off of course). Using it for just 15 second the head feels warm.
Sorry no driver inside :) at least at the moment...

this is how i connect the switch to the head. Again simple and cheap.
DSCN6368.jpg

DSCN6369.jpg

this is my battery pack :crazy: i know it is ugly. Notice the two plugs, one for charger and one to connect to the Maglite. Since the resistor is budled with the pack i have to make two seperate connector each for different purpose. One before the resistor(charging) and one after the resistor(to maglite). I will buy a smaller size resistor and put the resistor behind the Heatsink or in Mag Head to make thing simple :) but that is another story..
I have to cut mag tail spring about 1.5 turn so the tailcap can screw in nicely. The negative cabel from the battery is pressed between tail spring and tailbody to make contact. And the positive is directly soldered to Positive spring at the switch and the cable is running along the battery tube and ended at the rear tube opening.
DSCN6366-1.jpg

battery pack partly inside the tube. The tube is slightly bored otherwise all 4 sanyos across will not fit inside.
DSCN6370-1.jpg

Ok Now Beamshots...:whistle:
I only have WF-400 Q2 at the moment it is bright light with good throw to giveyou at least a comparative review as how bright this MagCree is...Camera settings are the same for each place so comparation can be made. White balance was set to Daylight...I have set EV to lower than default to give similar brightness to normal eye.

First WF-400
WF-400.jpg

MagCree
MagCreeQ2x5.jpg

WF-400
DSCN6405.jpg

MagCree
DSCN6398.jpg

Thanks, hopes you enjoys it as much as i do...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing!!

How did you solder the cells end to end like that?
How do you "aim" the emitters... is it very sensitive to how on-axis they are?

Nice work

DM51

Flashaholic
That is good work! Excellent pics, too.

I'm going to move this thread to 'Homemade & Modified', as the regulars there will definitely want to see it.

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
Wow, very cool project. Thanks for the pics and details. I've only begun with trying hotwire mods , so this is neat to see. You did good !

Vbeez

Enlightened
Very impressive ! Oh..no, I have to spend more money on leds again.....
Would you let me see that BRIGHT light ?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing!!

How did you solder the cells end to end like that?
How do you "aim" the emitters... is it very sensitive to how on-axis they are?

Nice work

From my experience, you want the emitters parallel, which is also the easiest angle to accomplish. I did a 7-cree spotlight with p60 dropins and just epoxied the dropins to the spotlight's window. Outside of two feet, the spots spread out and blend into one.