UCL Lens in ROP Mod

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told when asking some questions about a Mag85 mod I'm working on that I need to use a Borofloat lens and not a UCL lens due the heat.

Unfortunately, I already ordered a UCL lens from Lighthound. Since the ROP mod has somewhat less output than the Mag85 mod, can I safely use the UCL lens in this mod - 6aa>2D ROP Hi, or do I need to get a Borofloat lens for this as well?

Also - does anyone know that output (lumen) differences between these two mods? Is the Mag85 significantly brighter than the ROP mod?

jugg2

Enlightened
I believe that until you get into really high powered mods, the UCL is fine. I went with borafloat, since it is supposed to resist physical shock better (like drops and stuff).

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that until you get into really high powered mods, the UCL is fine. I went with borafloat, since it is supposed to resist physical shock better (like drops and stuff).
Very good to know, thanks. Has anyone else here used the UCL with their ROP? It'll be great if it holds up since I should get a few more lumens out the front with it.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good to know, thanks. Has anyone else here used the UCL with their ROP? It'll be great if it holds up since I should get a few more lumens out the front with it.

I am using a UCL in my ROP right now. I took the boro out to use in an upcoming Mag85 build. I have had no problems with the UCL.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a ucl in my mag85 without any problems.
Wow, I thought the heat from the Mag85 would be too much for it. Have you had the Mag85 on for an extended period of time with the UCL (10+ minutes)? Also, have you had an instance where the light was cold from being in the car or outside, and then turned it on? This was the other concern I had with using my UCL lens.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run several >30min continuous runs of my ROP-Hi with UCL, with no apparent damage/problems.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know I can use my UCL in my ROP - thanks for the replies!