• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

KX2 and McE2S? OK?

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I just got a KX2 yesterday and wanted to know if I can use my McE2S with it safely? My McE2S is 22 Ohms. Thank for the help.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got strong strobing on low (only notice it up close), didn't get this with old KL1 head with same body and switch. I don't remember what resistance the McE2S had.

Sigbjoern

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with a KX2 on li-ion quite a bit recently. It appears to be a straight buck driver. Once the supply voltage drops below the Vf plus some overhead, it goes into straight direct drive. Since the working voltage of a single li-ion cell is awfully close to this point, it spends a lot of time there (in DD).

If you can figure out how much resistance you need to drop the supply voltage into direct drive territory, you might be able to get it to work. However, I found that with mine even when you are down to ~3.6 volts it's still pulling about 10 mA from the cell. It's actually fairly bright at this level, but the output is beginning to flicker.

I have a bad feeling that this circuit just doesn't run well at all at the low current levels you would need to achieve a satisfyingly dim level of output.