Travelling light x tools

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I suppose posting this on the knives forum is more apropriate (if not, I ask the mods to please move it to the right place).

So... here is the thing: I'm a minimalist kind of guy. In such way that my main EDC, for example, is just a Victorinox Swisscard Lite and a Photon Freedom (2008 one).

Lately, I've been trying to learn how to travel light. I'm getting there!
But I've been wondering this: those of you who travel only with a carry-on luggage, what do you do about your tools/knives?

I feel naked if I don't have any of my EDC itens on me! But I also don't want to check anything, as it goes against the principle of travelling light. :sigh:

Help me out, guys! :)

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
You don't have many options, these days.

I've successfully traveled with nail clippers (clippers only, no nail file in them), pens and pencils and non-aggressive looking flashlights (Mini MagLite on one occasion, Inova T1 on others).

You may be able to carry some other tools, but I'm always afraid of having my prize tools confiscated, so I tend to leave them home.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on the road again for most of February (sigh).

I'll pack any tools/blades in an otter box, stored in a bag that I check in. I'll carry a flashlight (Fenix lately, as I don't want to take a chance on having an expensive light confiscated by an overly eager TSA employee) and a couple of cells in a Surefire spares carrier in my carry-on bag.

That's about it. :mad:

ankhbr

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'll try to mail them to myself, if I really feel like having them with me in my destination.
At least the non-expensive ones, as they might get "lost"... :)