Why I can't wait for my HDS Twisty...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
... so that I can dump my NovaTac 120p in a drawer and forget about it for a while.

Last night I dropped my 120p a very short distance of maybe a foot or two onto a ceramic tile floor while the light was on. I padded the drop with my foot, so it wasn't even a direct hit. It was still lit when I picked it up, so I didn't think anything of it. However, when I double-clicked to go to secondary, it leveled up once for each press. So tried to double-click/hold to lower the level back down. This didn't produce any predictable results. So I turned the light off, waited a few moments and fired it up again. Same sporadic behavior.

A soft reset restored things, but still... That's not the type of behavior I want from my primary EDC light. What's more, I'm pretty sure that my secondary setting is changing levels on its own. I'm always bumping it up a few levels, and yet I never seem to reach max...

My conclusion... NovaTac blows. I would contact support but I imagine the response will be something to the effect of "send it in and we'll see what we can find, but some ridiculous sporadic behavior is normal..." :shakehead

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the Novatac was incredibly rugged. They even had a sample that they let people throw as hard as they could against a brick wall. Or wasn't that the P-model?
Anyway, your light works now? And if it doesnt, why not just send it in? Is Novatacs warranty really that bad?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That was an hds that Henry would let people through against a wall he called it pummel "i think thats spelled wrong"

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway, your light works now? And if it doesnt, why not just send it in? Is Novatacs warranty really that bad?

Glitchy behavior under ideal conditions makes you wonder if you can depend on the light when your butt's on the line. This isn't the first time a NovaTac has freaked out on me. My 85p did it a couple of times as well.

I've contacted NovaTac about the flickering of my 120p and was essentially told 'that's the way it is, you can send it back but we probably won't do anything'. If they are unable to reproduce this glitchy behavior, the only thing I have to show for it is 3 weeks without my $150 light and shipping to their office. :thumbsdow

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would contact support but I imagine the response will be something to the effect of "send it in and we'll see what we can find, but some ridiculous sporadic behavior is normal..." :shakehead
I understand that you are upset, but why not give NovaTac customer service a chance to respond? They might surprise you, and since it sounds like you aren't happy now, what have you got lose?

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Lobo,

The HDS products - the EDC Ultimate and the EDC Basic - are entirely different from the NovaTac products. Different electronics, different software, different many other things.

Thermal Guy is correct, Pummeled was an HDS EDC Ultimate.

Henry.

Supernam

Enlightened
Slightly off topic, but will HDS reproduce the EDC line again? Or were these rights given up after making the Novatac deal?

magic_elf

Banned
I think its not fair comparing the upcoming HDS Twisty and the NovaTac 120P(roblematic?) behaviour.
The Twisty doesn't have the programmable UI like the 120P

The 120T and regular 120 on the other hand both have 3 levels like the Twisty, and these models DO NOT have the blinking problem.

All these people comparing the blinking problem of the NovaTac P-series as being an issue to the reliability of the yet unreleased HDS Twisty is plain silly to me.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I think its not fair comparing the upcoming HDS Twisty and the NovaTac 120P(roblematic?) behaviour.
The Twisty doesn't have the programmable UI like the 120P

The 120T and regular 120 on the other hand both have 3 levels like the Twisty, and these models DO NOT have the blinking problem.

All these people comparing the blinking problem of the NovaTac P-series as being an issue to the reliability of the yet unreleased HDS Twisty is plain silly to me.

please do some research before you post, the novatac 120p is alot more delicate than the old HDS that its based on, remember "pummeled" was a HDS ultimate series which is a clickie that is fully programmable, and built like a brick $hit house.

magic_elf

Banned
Exactly what I meant, the 120P is different from the HDS Twisty which is why comparing them is silly.
Comparing the 120 or 120T to the Twisty would be more apt.

I didn't say anything about the "pummeled" at all.
So what exactly are u trying to say mossyoak? I think you didn't understand my post :p

Btw, do you even have a "pummeled" and test if it blinks ramping down from high to lowest level just like the 120P?
Or are your comments on its quality based only on stuff you've read?

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I have owned a HDS U60XRGT which so happened to be bombproof, I dropped, kicked, and beat the hell out of it, and it never had even the slightest of a hickup. and comparing peoples reviews of the novatac, I dont plan on ever owning a novatac, they seem a great deal more flimsy and fragile than my old HDS.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic_elf, I'm not interested in what you think I should or should not compare, nor does it matter if someone who has been here for less than a month thinks my comparison is "silly". I had two HDS EDC's, a Basic 42XRGT and an Ultimate 60GT. I regret selling either of them. Through use, though, I learned that neither of them ever displayed this type of behavior. What's more, while I agree that the Twisty is, as yet, untested, Henry's work has always been reliable and I have no reason to believe that the Twisty will be any exception to that. NovaTac seems to have rushed some things, then got upset when Henry told them they had to fix it, so they parted ways.

*last sentence is complete speculation*

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic_elf, I'm not interested in what you think I should or should not compare, nor does it matter if someone who has been here for less than a month thinks my comparison is "silly". I had two HDS EDC's, a Basic 42XRGT and an Ultimate 60GT. I regret selling either of them. Through use, though, I learned that neither of them ever displayed this type of behavior. What's more, while I agree that the Twisty is, as yet, untested, Henry's work has always been reliable and I have no reason to believe that the Twisty will be any exception to that. NovaTac seems to have rushed some things, then got upset when Henry told them they had to fix it, so they parted ways.

*last sentence is complete speculation*

OK, Valpo - relax. He hasn't been around all that long, and doing research on this forum is a pain in the a** with the miserable search engine we have and the people who insist on putting their light collection in their sig, thus mucking up search results with false hits. Besides, you have to know what to look for in the first place! There is a steep learning curve here.

For the record, I wasn't all that satisfied with my Novatac 85P. Not because it was flaky (I never dropped it to find out) or for poor output or anything like that. It was overly finicky and complex - I'm an L1 kind of guy. I also can't wait for the Twistie to come out, if it ever does. So far it's been pretty much the definition of vaporware, with delay after delay - I finally pulled my preorder. But I have the money set aside so when it finally DOES start shipping, I'm on it.

Last edited:

magic_elf

Banned
Yikes, what's with the super hostile and defensive people here? (sure glad this isn't a gun or knife forum.)

Alright Vapor_Hawkeye, I guess because I'm new here means I can't be perceptive :) so sorry about that.

I iz teh noobz :D