Are old X5's worth anything...

climbinglife

Newly Enlightened
I have an original Silver X5 with the twisty and with blue Led's. I also have the newer Black X5 with the push button tailcap...

Just curious if these are worth anything...

Bolek

Enlightened
I just recived one today and I like it. An unprotected 18650 from a laptop batteries pac fit in it, and as it taks 44mA it will run for 50 hours for free !!!:nana:

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
In Canada, the lowest I've seen a new X5 (CS leds, HA-bk or natural) for $36.

IF you can find them, they're usually $ 40-60 up here.

I got the latest version in black here for my birthday, don't think I'd ever sell it.

Illum

Flashaholic
X5s run about $40 here...:whistle:
Personally I wouldn't sell my old lights unless I really needed the money, after awhile you get attached to them, dim or not dim:thumbsup:

I started searching info on the X5 online about a year ago...looked up on lighthound and found some X5s that needed a new home. when it finally came I was appalled by the size... [I mean gee...its bigger than my...um..nevermind] its small...very small:nana:

the first few weeks was in a state of nurture...in the following month, the beating began. up to today it has rolled on asphalt, swam in mud, fell into the drainage ditch leading out of a cesspool :green: at a farm, stolen then returned, kicked around and flipped across fences with dogs on one side and concrete on the other...by some kids who can't catch a golfball with baseball gloves, unconvinced that its "unbreakable"

lets see...up to this year its drained ~20 sets of near dead cr123as from surefire incans...batteries removed, locked on and thrown in with the laundry. It had the privilege of becoming dad's work light for awhile where it sat in the same pocket he used to store finishing nails...[dad's not to impressed with most of my lights, especially lithium based]:devil:

Other than a bit of dents on the bezel, tailcap, and some damage on the body the light works awfully well, except now the rubber boot seems about to be worn through [kind of a soft mushy feeling] so for now its twist on operations only:eek:oo:

generic808

Enlightened
Inova X5

Sorry to start this new thread because I'm sure this question has been asked many times before; unfortunately, most times I use the search function, I get this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 128 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/candlepowerforums.com/httpdocs/vb/search.php on line 1050

Just wondering how the Inova X5 compares to other lights in it's class? I've been reading up a lot and it seems that DX lights seem to be a favorite "affordable" light on these boards. Is it worth the cost or would my money be better spent buying two different lights from DX? Opinions?

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Inova X5

generic808, I'm going to merge your thread into another one that is currently running on the subject of old X5s.

DM51

Flashaholic

Incidentally, to search for "Inova X5", do not include "Inova" in the search as it is too commonly-used.

"X5" by itself is more specific, but being a 2-character word, the search function will not recognise it. You therefore need to add the asterisk (*) wildcard and type in X5*, which will bring up results.

Welcome to CPF!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wondering how the Inova X5 compares to other lights in it's class? I've been reading up a lot and it seems that DX lights seem to be a favorite "affordable" light on these boards. Is it worth the cost or would my money be better spent buying two different lights from DX? Opinions?

Please correct if I'm wrong. I'm assuming that when you refer to the X5's "class", you mean other 2x123a lights. In this case, it's not a very fair comparison. Most manufacturers these days lean toward getting as much light out of those two cells as possible. The X5 is a long runtime light. It won't impress the first time you turn it on because it won't seem all that bright. It's not until the 100th time you turn it on (with the same cells) that you say "wow, that's a lot of light!" Under low light conditions, it's output on dead cells is perfect for around the house and outdoor navigation. If that seems to be what you need a light for, it'll be perfect.

Illum

Flashaholic
Typically we refer to X5 class lights to be lights that uses 5 5mm LEDs...most DX lights I have seen uses single die emitters [luxeon, CREE, Seoul] and cluster LEDs. there isn't much to choose from thats similar to the X5

if your "class" represents cell count...well gee, half of surefires stock wuld be in the same class:crazy:

thunderlight

Enlightened
In terms of categorizing a class of flashlights to which the X5 belongs, I think of a lamp. By lamp, I don't mean that the light is tethered to a power cord, I mean that the X5 light pattern is closest to a lamp in flashlight form. By flashlight form, I mean that it is still directional, as opposed to 360 degree lanterns, but it provides a wide surround of light locally, while still providing some directionality.

It is still an outstanding product because of its efficiency, durability, and general quality. Many of the newer lights seem to be designed for a certain combination of brightness and throw. This is not what the X5 is all about.

It is also a wonderful example of machine art, comparable to the best designs of the machine age / art deco period. It is an icon. OTOH, I wish that Inova would make a one cell 123 version of the X5 with the latest 5 mm leds.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
dx lights are nice if you're only looking at output.

X5 is the light that will also be substituted as tank rounds when world war 3 breaks out.

My x5 is my emergency night light, it's black w/ blue leds (ugly beam but whatever) and has some blue tritium attached at the tail.

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
...and has some blue tritium attached at the tail.

Phil,

You can't make a statement like that and not post a pic!!!

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone who put a trit on an Inova...would love to see it.

I bought my X5 (black, white led, 2nd gen) here from a member. This is basically my EDC light, except for some off days now when I carry its little brother the X1. As far as I'm concerned, the X5 is one of the best "general" flashlights out there. No fear of it running out of juice with normal use, and enough light to get almost any task done.

That said, it won't blind an assailant, or light up something 100 yards away across a field...but it wasn't designed to do such things!

Eric

Illum

Flashaholic
its not so much as you can't put tritium on inovas...just where would you put them so they are not protruding.

did you mill your tailcap?