Advice for a light for an EMT????

Mark G

Newly Enlightened
Brand new here- I appreciate the help in advance!

My brother is an EMT and he carries a cheap little mag lite- think he paid 12 bucks for it or so. His birthday is coming up and I am wondering what flashlight I could get him that would suit his needs and have good battery life. I carry an E2E (im not an emt) but I'm sure he'll need something with longer battery life. I won't say money is no object, but I'd really like to get him something nice- he has told me he has another gadget to use to check pupils and stuff like that... I'm not sure all the needs he might have for a light but thought there may be someone on here who could suggest something.

Thanks again for the opportunity to post my question!
Mark

Marduke

Flashaholic
Maybe two lights?

A penlight style light with forward clicky or momentary for stuff like checking pupils, and something to wear on the best with a little more power. The Streamlite sounds good, or just even a cheap $5 Energizer penlight from Target.

Sams Club has these, if you're a member, or you have a friend or family who is a member. They are even forward momentary and just a little bit bigger than the MiniMag. They fit the open top MiniMag holsters.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
What features did it have that made it appealing to an EMT?

Its a slim penlight with clip to attach to his shirt pocket, fairly low output for checking pupils but still enough light to use for walking into a dimly light building maybe 30 lumens or so.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4 and a penlight.

L4 for a wide area flood.
Penlight for checking pupils, etc.

He will be able to run the L4 on a rechargeable 17670 or two 123's.

Some additional reading on the same subject is here.

Last edited:

zven

Enlightened
Well, I'm certainly no EMT, and don't know what type of light would work best for someone in that profession, but the SureFire L2 comes to mind. Low mode for great, long runtime, and a high mode for whenever it's needed. And the UI is about the simplest ever. The only thing I still don't know, though, is whether flood or throw is more important for an EMT. If it's flood, then I say go for the L2.

Actually, come to think of it, the G2L (or any other light that can take the P60L, for that matter) is about the perfect all-around flashlight (in my opinion, of course). The hotspot is plenty bright, with decent throw, and the spill is very wide and very useful. Multi-mode lights may be a bit more flexible in some situations, but for a single-mode light, the G2L is about as versatile as you can get.

So in the end, the L2 may be a great light for an EMT, but upon further consideration, the G2L would perform extremely well, and is much more affordable. And on a personal note, in my own experience, the G2L has been a direct (and extremely substantial) upgrade from the Maglights that I used to use. So add a SF lanyard attachment, and I think the G2L (or 6PL) could be a great gift in this situation.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I would go with an E2L outdoorsman. It's about 55 lumens and stays that high for hours, with diminishing light there after, takes two cr123's. Or an L4, a wide area flood light that produces about 115 lumens for an hour 15 with diminishing light there after, takes two cr123's. Or an L1 which has two stages via a push a little for the low 10 lumen out put, or push a little harder for the 65 lumen output, takes one cr123. Or you could go with the L2 which uses the same kind of switch at the L1 but has a low of 10 and a High of 100 lumens, takes two cr123's.Heres specs and links to all four.

E2l: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24205/sesent/00

L4: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1071/sesent/00

L1: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1071/sesent/00

L2: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1141/sesent/00

-Evan

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L2 or L4 are good choices. I am an EMT, and I like the L2. I also carry an L1 24/7 and it sees a lot of use. Two levels are also very useful - one bright enough to see a lot with, one not so bright it's overpowering. But for checking pupil response and tissues, you want (or at least I want) incan since it does a better job of color rendering. And an incan penlight isn't quite as likely to hurt your victim's eyes as a 100 lumen LED :)

I use a Welch-Allyn incan penlight, but really most any decent penlight will do. Lots of the guys use those little disposables that the drug companies give away. A really good incan penlight is getting hard to come by. Pelican makes a few for not a stupidly large amount of money.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
EMT-B here, I love my Surefire 6PL... you can customize it to whatever you want. It's a nice light platform, add features you want easily without much hassle. Also, you could go for a G2L. Nice lights.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too long ago someone else had a thread like this -- seems that they were looking for a light for their wife/girlfriend who was an EMT. Some of the suggestions included lights with lanyards, lights that were easy & comfortable to grip, and lights that were dependable (duh!).

Some other considerations might include whether a thrower or flooder would be better, how simple or involved a user interface might be (for instance multiple levels vs. only one or two levels), and whether a clickie or twisty would be more user friendly.

The other thread shouldn't be too hard to search.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If he doesn't mind the modes(pretty easy to use actually, click is always on or off), the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 would be great. Low is similar in output to the Minimag. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

The Lumapower LM31 is a good simple 1 AA choice.

There are also cheaper lights on sites like Dealextreme (go for the ones getting good reviews in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section). Maybe an AA one as an backup?

Maybe a flashlight together with rechargeable batteries will also be good?

Few questions:

Size?
Output?
Price?
Batteries?
Beam pattern?

:welcome:

Mark G

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions- I'm learning a lot.

I really like the idea of the variable power flashlights. The Fenix l2d-ce q5 looks just about ideal but it seems pretty cheap for all it touts- i guess im used to surefire, which are more expensive. If you think the quality of the Fenix is good, then I'll probably go that route.

Thanks everyone for suggestions- I might get another light for myself, I am catching the collecting bug just looking through all the specs!

bagman

Enlightened
If your brother has anyway of ataching a clip to his uniform I would sugest a Pentagon MOLLE light as one of many :D

I have one of these on my stab vest and it gives excellent close area light.

Mark G

Newly Enlightened
Bagman I'll check- I've seen those lights and thought they would be useful.

thanks,

bagman

Enlightened
Bagman I'll check- I've seen those lights and thought they would be useful.

thanks,

Mine replaced a Peli VB3 which is a good little light but the MOLLE is much, much better.

I dont know what US EMT uniforms are like but I have mine mounted on my epalette (SP??) loops so its at right angles to the ground.

dougie

Enlightened
I've been a paramedic for nearly 22 years and used loads of different types of flashlights over this period. One thing I've learned is that no one light does it all. Anything you carry will be a compromise. Size is very important and IMHO penlights are not much use outside of a primary care or hospital environment.

The criteria I place on a light suitable for the majority of work I do is:

1) Something that is small enough to be always with you.

2) Something that you can quickly access when you need it.

3) The light can/should be able to be placed in between your teeth should the situation require a third hand which you haven't got!

4) Reliability. Crucial for my role. If you need light and it fails you, you loose valuable time which you usually need.

5) The light should be able to be cleaned with various chemicals to prevent contamination. *This is often overlooked by flashlight fans*

6) The above obviously means that at a minimum the light is water resistant.

7) Cost: Most EMT's and paramedics usually have to buy their own personal equipment and therefore anything ultra expensive and which is liable to damage or loss at work has to be as reasonably priced as possible.

Taking all of the above into account the light which I most favour now is a G2L holstered in a V70. I have been using a G2 for a while now but the G2L is an absolutely brilliant light for the job I do. YMMV!

Doug

FsTop

Enlightened
Just to make the decision a little more complicated, a post some time ago by a physician pointed out that LEDs do a lousy job on color fidelity, compared to incandescents, and that being able to easily assess the color of a throat inflammation, for example, was an important criteria.

In that particular case, the Dr. was using a Welch-Alyn penlight, as mentioned above.

It takes $14 bulb replacements, AAAA batteries, and isn't much of a light by our usual criteria, but it's what a lot of docs carry.

Here are some other choices for penlights:
http://www.allheart.com/penlights.html

dougie

Enlightened
As I said the use of a penlight or other such light source is ideal for those who have the luxury of working in primary care environments.

I work in both primary care and emergency medicine and in the field. The use of LED and incandescent light has been the subject of much debate about which type of light provides the best illumination and allowing the clinician to discern accurate tissue color.

From my perspective I feel that the arguement for or against the use of LED's is more a matter of a personal choice. I cannot ever recall problems using a LED v incandescent light interfering in an accurate diagnosis.
Remember that LED's are often used as light sources in some of the newer medical examination devices.

When the proverbial 's**t hits the fan' failure isn't an option whether it is skills or equipment or both. The price of failure is either the patient's welfare or that their life is put at risk.

I have often had to improvise or adapt to make an allowance for things not going to plan but equipment failure is a very unwelcome problem.

In a car wreck and before firefighters arrive on scene to provide scene lighting it is often you and a couple of lights that make an enormous difference to seeing what you are dealing with.

As I said earlier I'm talking from the perspective of being there and doing the job and personal experience is a good tutor.

Doug