Nitecore DI "Hidden Mode"

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading up on some of the problems that some folks have been having with their DI's up to this point, and while it is a little dis-heartening to read some of the "woes", I'm happy to report that mine seems to be working fine up to this point. I run it strictly on AW protected 14500 cells. Two nights ago while cleaning and lubing my DI, I stumbled upon what I consider to be a "hidden mode". I found that if I push the tail switch in just enough to get the light to come on, it will come on as it's supposed to; but after being on for only about two seconds it will start to slowly flash like a signal beacon. If I go directly from just slightly pushed in until it starts to flash to constant-on (full click), the light will continue to flash in this manner until I turn it off. From off, if I push the tail switch in further for temporary light, the flashing will not occur. Here's how mine works:

From max output mode (bezel tightened):

slight push...light comes on; hold for two seconds...light begins to flash slowly; full click from this "mode"...light stays constantly in slow flash mode.

If I don't wish to access this "mode", from the off position, I simply push the tail switch in a little further (but not enough to click into constant-on), and the light comes on in temporary mode as it's supposed to.

Note: once the light is activated in this slow-flash mode to constant-on, rapid strobe cannot be accessed until the light has been turned off and turned on again. Also, the slow-flash on mine cannot be accessed from the user-selectable mode (bezel loosened).

I know that what I've stumbled on is probably nothing more than a "glitch" in my tail switch, and some may view it technically as a flaw in my light; but I've actually found it to be an extra "mode" that to me simply increases the usefulness of what was already an EXCELLENT EDC light! I don't know if all Nitecore DI's do this, but I'm actually a little tickled that mine does...it sorta makes it unique!

PJD

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sweat! As a side note, I just tried it with a lithium primary AA cell (Energizer), and it doesn't work. In fact, if I push my switch in just enough to get the light to come on with a lithium AA cell, the light just comes on dimly and flickers until the switch is pushed in far enough to get a good contact. What I'm thinking is that with a LIon cell, when the switch is pushed in just enough to make the light come on, the contact isn't sufficient enough for full power, which in turn makes the processor "think" it's low voltage, and the subsequent slow-flash "mode" is nothing more than the low-voltage warning. In any regard, it still works as a "hidden mode" as far as I'm concerned...and like I said before, just adds to the light's utility!

PJD

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tried with a 14500 LiIon, and still nothing. I guess it depends on the internal resistance of the switch, which seems variable inbetween different lights...

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did it the first time I tried it after reading your post, but I have not been able to duplicate it again?
shrug.gif

Go Figure.

Edit: If I take the battery out and place it back in I can duplicate it. (14500 battery )

Bill

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't work on NiMH in mine.

Nice find though :clap:

x2.

I'm using Eneloops. Though I think I found a hidden mode on the user defined mode where the light will stay off even though its clicked on. Okay that isn't very special haha.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2.

I'm using Eneloops. Though I think I found a hidden mode on the user defined mode where the light will stay off even though its clicked on. Okay that isn't very special haha.

LOL
crackup.gif
Yea I've got that hidden mode too sometimes.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
This isn't a hidden mode. It's been discussed in the main NDI thread in the Manufacturer's forum. The slow flashing is built-in to the NDI and it indicates a low voltage warning. You're simply activating the low voltage warning because your last button press wasn't firm enough.

See this link for an example of this phenomenon: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showpost.php?p=2108582&postcount=1702

Somewhere in that huge thread, this info about the low voltage warning being triggered by a too soft button press was actually confirmed by Edgetac. Yes, battery type and length has something to do with it as well, in regards as to how easy it is to get this behavior to trigger.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is sorta the only 'problem' I've seen with mine. Using a light press on the button for momentary causes the light to flicker.... sometimes. Other times not. I can't get it to do it. I've only used NiMh.

I've thought about trying to 'force' some deoxit into the switch somehow, maybe down the sides of the button looks to be the best way but not sure if it would help or hurt something else. Once you do it there's not getting it back out. :ironic:

Sounds like tho that everyone has this slight contact issue so at least I know I don't have a bad switch. It just seems to be characteristic.