Heath Ledger dies of overdose in New York

Haz

Enlightened
heard news that Heath Ledger has died today, i was looking forward to see him as the Joker in Batman.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23095463-2,00.html

HEATH Ledger has died of an apparent drug overdose.

The 28-year-old Perth-born actor's body was found in his apartment in New York.
The New York Post said his apartment was strewn with pills, adding that it was unclear whether the death was intentional.
The celebrity website TMZ said Ledger was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3.35pm New York time (7.35am AEDT).
According to the Associated Press, Ledger's body was discovered by his housekeeper who came to tell him his masseuse had arrived for an appointment.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime.

Ledger has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams. He was set to play the Joker in the upcoming Batman film The Dark Knight.:candle:

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very sad. I enjoyed many of the films he was in. My wife and I watch Knight's Tale every time it's on cable. What a tragic and pointless death. Sadly, this happens many times a day to many other fine people all around the world. :(

Greta

Flashaholic
I sent my daughter a text message telling her the news. Her reply, "Haha, that's so 3 hours ago Mom!"... then my son called to tell me he was on his way home from school... so I told him and he said he already knew. I asked him how he found out... he said he found out in detention... :ironic:

I'm always the last to know stuff... :(

This is such a shame.... :shakehead

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I sent my daughter a text message telling her the news. Her reply, "Haha, that's so 3 hours ago Mom!"...
For some reason, I was in stitches first time I read that. :crackup: Now I just have to find an opportune time to use that line with my own mother. :D

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Monster's Ball, Heath is a depressed prison guard who shoots and kills himself in front of his father and grandfather.

It seemed like good acting, but maybe not as much acting as was believed. . .

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
firstly i want to apologise to Sasha for starting that new thread..:ohgeez:

Its just so sad, but scarily enough, they said he was taking sleeping pills because his mind was going into overdrive from playing the joker. Its almost as if the joker came to life and killed him. In a sense. Damn,heath ledger's joker must be one psychotic monster...all the more i cant wait to see dark knight. RIP Heath..

Crenshaw

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know the name, but I recalled the face from 10 Things I Hate About You. The guy had the right stuff to be an actor.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Why trash this guy in topic title when there is no cause of death yet established? TMZ.com now that is an authoritative source!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why trash this guy in topic title when there is no cause of death yet established?

I have not heard that the COD has been established either. It's really a shame considering that he seemed to be really going somewhere. He's been in some decent movies, and getting to play a major character in the next Batman movie was a good sign.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
His death is very tragic, I don't suspect suicide at all. I do however suspect a "cocktail" of pharmaceutical drugs is what killed him. Especially Ambien which has a proven record of bizarre effects in people. He was probably just taking his regular meds and since he was having sleeping problems probably took a little extra Ambien or one of the others and it was enough to kill. 28 year olds don't generally die of heart problems or strokes etc, it happens but it is rare. Cause of death may never be known, the circles around Hollywood have a track record of occurences of death in younger people, although Heath didn't live there at the time. Very sad.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
I live in the Southern California area. Although that I am not in the entertainment industry, I am in contact with and have dear friends that are whom have had direct observations of this young man's social habits.

Heath apparently had an active social lifestyle that included the frequent use of recreational substances and alcohol.

He was also suffering from pneumonia just prior to his death and had trouble sleeping likely due to the constituent pharmaceuticals that he was using to help sustain a brutal film shooting work schedule.

He was ill, exhausted, and abusive to his body.

It is a small wonder that he passed.

RIP Heath Ledger.