Inova lights and water....

tsx

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a couple of inova flashlights and I really wanted to know how they where in wet conditions, I mailed Inovalights and got the following answer:

Hello,

All INOVA lights are 'water resistant', meaning they are not 'water proof'. These lights can handle moisture, as well as contact with water, but they cannot be submerged for long periods of time. For example, the light may withstand falling into a puddle, but we do not recommend taking them diving or using them underwater. Doing this would void the limited lifetime warranty.

I hope this answers your questions, please don't hesitate to contact me should you need further assistance.

So after reading this story I took a couple of my inova's for a spin:

INOVA 2007 T4 125 lumen

I took my New 2007 Inova T4 125 Lumen out in the pouring rain and dropt it 2 times in a puddle that was deep enough to just submerge the light and took it out of the puddle just seconds I dropped it ( first time I counted 5 seconds and the second time 3 seconds) so the light was submerged for just a couple of seconds. And after I got home there was water on the battery and the switch was also a bit wet and the worse: between the reflector and the lens. The size of the drop of water was as big as the led. It took me several days of trying different techniques to remove the water and the one that worked was taking the switch and the charging connectors pushing the contacts that connect the other side of the switch to the head down by putting a pin in it and hold it in place with the tail cap screwed on and putting the light in front of a blow dryer with max heat for about 4 hours!

INOVA 2007 T3 100 lumen and the INOVA 2005 T3 85 lumen

This one I tested home in my bath tub, I took a nice bath and gave the T3 also nice test.

The bath tub is about 20 inch deep that makes it around 50 cm I kept it under water on the bottom for about 30 minutes and turned the light on and of during the test. After it came out I screwed the tail cap off and inspected it thoroughly. There was not a single drop of water anywhere. I would qualify the light to IPX-6 and will test it soon to the IPX-7 and after that try the IPX-8 standard.

Ask me if you have any questions about this story would like me to test anything else or want to know what the IPX scale is.

INOVA X1 2006 and 2007

Results are the same as the T3 do not do this with the a loose cap if you do your light will take on water!

Warning

If you are planning to do the same tests please check if the tailcap of your flashlights is tightened!

Inova should really consider to make their lights waterproof like many others manufacturers, like surefire!

Last edited:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
any chance you got to test the x5?

Sounds like cool tests, I for one appreciate you putting your lights and money on the line to test this!

Phil

phil000

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like cool tests, I for one appreciate you putting your lights and money on the line to test this!

Phil

Stainz

Enlightened
Pardon me, but I am new to these parts... However, I am quite fond of my Inova X1s and X5... they were in my lap last night watching NCIS - and taking turns, during commercials so my wife's viewing of Mark Harmon was unimpeded, comparing their respective ability to illuminate dark areas of my bookcases. I am just not so sure of bathing with them...

I nearly foorgot... how is the X1's, '06 and '07 (2 W) versions, in wet conditions?

Stainz

tsx

Newly Enlightened

Phil

I don't have an x5 but i will order soon one to test it i will post the results here :grin2:

Last edited:

tsx

Newly Enlightened
Pardon me, but I am new to these parts... However, I am quite fond of my Inova X1s and X5... they were in my lap last night watching NCIS - and taking turns, during commercials so my wife's viewing of Mark Harmon was unimpeded, comparing their respective ability to illuminate dark areas of my bookcases. I am just not so sure of bathing with them...

I nearly foorgot... how is the X1's, '06 and '07 (2 W) versions, in wet conditions?

Stainz

The X1 '06 and '07 are the same in wet conditions to be submerged they must be turned on ( i tested them with the inova T3 results are the same)

Last edited:

BillD

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2006 T-4, and before I bought it I read that this light is less waterproof than other Inova lights due to the charging port. It is very similar to the Pelican 7060, which is also not listed as waterproof on the Pelican website. I would actually like to see some realistic tests of water resistance for lights from various manufacturers, as I would bet that some of them might not do as well as others.

Thanks for doing this test. As a result of your findings, I'll be very careful with my T-4 in the rain.