• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Atwood LunaSol!

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
dear lord, don't give me any ideas! I wouldn' mind getting mine done in simpleAlTiN(sp?) though! thanks for the link!

Mayo

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice it's missing a clip screw and the remaining one not anodized:shrug: Also, a disclaimer to not do any more splash:mecry:

My wife would love this one:D

greenLED

Flashaholic
Very cool. There are pics somewhere of a couple of Don's own custom anodized Ti PD's too. I remember him showing off one at SHOT a couple of years back - stunning colors.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
I noticed it was missing a screw as well. I figure one of them was damaged in disassembly or something. Aren't those stainless steel screws? I don't believe they can be anodized.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It might just be a rather loose assambly of the freshly colored parts without any internals.
Teh screws are usually ti for the McLuxIII-Ti-Series.
bernie

iconoclast

Enlightened
I believe it was just the shell, and the clip was probably only assembled enough to take the pictures. There was mention of having to send it back to don for the insides to be built. I imagine the electrically charged chemical bath used for anodizing wouldn't do nice things to the electronics, lens, etc. :laughing:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The screws are Ti. Yes, this is an empty shell. All the rest of these are assembled to the point of just needing the little black magic converter and away they would go... At this point, this special LunaSol of color may get out of the shop along with the plain flavored others.

At one point, I wanted to shoot a short video of dunking a fully functioning Ti PD or sister light in the anodize bath and show it getting colored while on. The point of this would be to show that all exposed metal is Ti and that which isn't, is safe behind seals. I don't have a video camera so it never happened. I have one phone that can shoot video but it is hardly worth the effort and you need to catch the action the first time..... Besides, such an exercise would reek of marketing hype I think. One might respond with "So what?" :)

In the past, I have received "all titanium" items and when subjected to the anodize bath it became obvious that some parts were not Ti. :green: Any other metal immediately sets off to bubbling like crazy in the bath and it can impede the Ti from even starting to oxidize (color) as the electrical path is focused on the other metal.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screws are Ti. Yes, this is an empty shell. All the rest of these are assembled to the point of just needing the little black magic converter and away they would go... At this point, this special LunaSol of color may get out of the shop along with the plain flavored others.

A TI-dyed Lunasol would be SO COOL! :takeit::takeit:...

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the correction Mr. M! I should have realized that the hardware would be Titanium. I know you are a ...is "purist" the correct (complimentary) term?

I love the idea of a "live" anodizing demo! That's the kind of thinking that drives the innovation at the McGizmo works. :)