Mail Plane Missing at Sea off Kauai

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last week a small twin turboprop aircraft crashed off the coast of Kauai. The pilot and plane went missing at sea. This company had a contract to carry insured, certified, and express mail between the islands. Normally, i would disregard this tragedy as part of being saturated with bad news that comes with progress. This time i was expecting an Express package from Canada. Similar packages arrived in the mainland USA days earlier. Being Express mail i was expecting it last week. As the days went by i felt perhaps my package was on that plane. What are the chances:confused::shrug:

The plane sank in deep water but cargo was salvaged. What will happen to the salvaged mail is unknown.

Online articles from local "Garden Island" newspaper:
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2008/01/15/news/news01.txt
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2008/01/16/news/news02.txt

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
what was lost, among other things, was this:

ele2yz5.jpg

:mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry:

Let's have a moment of silence.....

:( WP

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, the Post Office was contacted.

But all they said was:

"Can't talk right now. We're playing with this Really Cool Flashlight we just found !"

:devil:
_

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm interested to know how the devil did this sucker crash and why theres no flight officer with him?:shakehead

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Cargo salvaged? What will they do with the salvaged cargo... destroy it? Won't they dry it out and try to get it to it's destination if any writing remains on any item? Seems very odd not to even try :thumbsdow

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do eventually get that HID Ellie don't throw away the packaging. Air crash mail covers are sought after by hard core stamp collectors.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thoughts here...

So far my postmaster has no clue :shakehead what's going on. Just to say for the sender to file a claim:sigh: Don't ever remember it happening before so i wonder if the Hawaii postal dept. has a clue either:shrug:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bummer!! I actually caught the news about the crash on a rare TV viewing the other night but they didn't say anything about it being a mail carrier. I was under the impression that there was just the pilot and no indication of any problem until after the fact.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kauai has been having their share of helicopter crashes but this is the first small plane crash. These are those twin prop planes that i believe are used as air ambulances between the islands.

Maui had a bad crash couple years back where an air ambulance crashed at the Maui BMW dealership.

I was under the impression that mail was carried in freight jet aircraft at night. Learned something new. Hope the FAA inspects these aircraft better.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Latest unofficial word from my postmaster is that everything recovered from the crash site (not much as most is underwater in very deep water) is evidence as the exact cause of the crash is not yet determined and probably won't be as the plane is unrecoverable.

Pilot was a young guy. Very unfortunate. Postal Dept. probably goes with the cheapest bidder and this small company probably got the bid to carry mail between the islands. Very small twin engine aircraft. One pilot. Like helicopters hope the guy don't suffer something while flying.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
So... even if, by chance, the light were in amongst that little portion they salvaged... it is being held as evidence? Indefinitely? :faint:
So... right down to the soggy postcards and credit card bills... all being kept for evidence huh? Keep us informed as this unfolds... incredible.

Illum

Flashaholic
So... even if, by chance, the light were in amongst that little portion they salvaged... it is being held as evidence? Indefinitely? :faint:
So... right down to the soggy postcards and credit card bills... all being kept for evidence huh? Keep us informed as this unfolds... incredible.

its not the most efficient...but its the most thorough in terms of evidence security :rolleyes: