M@gMods.......

Trappnguns

Newly Enlightened
Ok, So I have been looking around here for a while. Now I get to ask a bunch of questions that everyone else already has.

Here is the background: I have 2 2dM@gs, 1 2cM@g, and one 4DM@g.

I have done a fairly simple mod so far: KPR112 with 2x18650's in a 2dM@g. Definitely not a keeper, but I like a few of the concepts.

18650 pcb protected li-ions. Would be nice if that was all I needed... Good capacity, compact size, etc... I am sure you already know.

PR Bulbs: easy, cheap, lots of them.

Drop ins: Borofloat/UCL lenses, reflectors, bi-pin sockets, drivers.

The issues: Which one to do!!! Here are the criteria:

Li-ions (protected, as I have kids). What will fit in what!?!? I am looking for runtime and brightness, bulb life is not as important as long as I can go a while between battery charges. I have 2 Tenergy 18650's with the TL-100 charger. Did I waste my money there?

Brightness and runtime: I don't need the Brightest, Bestist, SuperDooper Wonderlight. (though I do want it). I want minimum an hour runtime with a couple hundred Lumen. The ROP mods looked pretty good as far as that goes.

Tough: I could care less about being pretty, I can sandblast and Duracoat if necessary. I want it to be a [email protected]w it around, drop it, dunk it.....whatever as long as it works when I pick it up.

Here are my thoughts so far: 2c ROP(lo) and 2d ROP(hi)........thats all so far. I might get the Incan driver and the AW cells for the 2c and go all out with that one. The rest will only get a lense, reflector, bi-pin socket if necessary, and batteries. What is the best bang for the buck.

D-cell: Saw the 14500 battery holder, no boring necessary, I like that...New AW D and C cells, they look good.

Bulbs are going to need to be selected based on battery I am assuming...

Here are a few more random questions:

Kaidomain has reflectors, So does FM. Price is way different.....Why? Bi-pin holders also? Do I go with borofloat or UCL? I am thinking borofloat for the toughness.

Sorry about the lack of direction in the post...Didn't know where too start (or finish.....)

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROP is a 7.2 volt bulb, output about 500 torch lumens. With a bipin to Pr adapter socket and then a Phillips 5761 bulb you can jump to almost 900 torch lumens. That would full fill your "I don't need the Brightest, Bestist, SuperDooper Wonderlight. (though I do want it). " But the run times you are looking at here woul be about 30 minutes. With an AW driver, AW C batteries and the 5761 you can have a 2C light pusing about 854 torch lumens running for 28 minutes or so. I have posted a tail cap mod that will allow you do do this without a spacer sleave. With the 2D you can get 6 powerex AA inside for 7.2 volts and 2.7 Ah cpacity. About the same output as the 2C I described. ROP are just drop in mods. In all mods if you improve the switch wiring or use AW's driver you will reduce resisgtance an get more light out. Tail cap improvements are also recomended on any mod you do. Switch and Tail cap mods are very easy, several post on them exist for tutorials.
Most 18650s cannot handle the amps of the 5761. Batteryspace unprotected 2600mAh ones will but you have to work with the unprotected cell to be safe. Regular lithium ion batteries fall short on the 2c, c for capacity rule. That is the load cannot be more than 2x the capacity of the battery pack. The 5761 draws 5.43 amps in the hor wire. Depending on what you choose to power a 5761 you may need soft start. An addition of a seventy cent NTC will give you that. The ROP I believe handles the mods well without soft starts.
So many ways to go here, it is hard to decide. I hope a few ideas here get your ideas primed. Good luck.

BTW- bipin to pr sockets allow you to put bipin bulbs into a lights standard PR socket. But you should reword that switch anyway to reduce the resistance. There are not too many PR bulbs that can give you a lot of light to mod for that is why bi pin bulbs are used.

Last edited: