I want a sog powercut

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Haven't seen em in stock anywhere. The SOG website says coming 2008 and you can pre-order if you want to pay that much. Anybody seen em around? It seems everyone is more into LM and Gerbers in these parts, but I haven't seen any of them that has tools I'll use every day besides this one. I would use wire cutters/strippers every day if I had em, scissors and pliers, not so much. I like a lot of the other tools they have as well. Are there other multitools out there that have the same/similar options? Any advice or points in the right direction greatly appreciated.

g

Last edited:

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I have a brand new one in leather carry pouch, never used.
Make offer via PM..., I also have 5 Leatherman's and 2 Grebers.
I just never got around to using it, why I do not know since it is nicer and to me, better built.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been through a numbers of Leatherman, Gerber, Spyderco and SOG multi-tools and have always favored the SOG variants, of which the PowerLock V-Cutter in Black Oxide has always been my favorite. Though I would go with the standard finish if you plan to actually use the tool. Mine is more or less a shelf queen as I prefer the use of specific, dedicated tools to perform the task at hand.

Last edited:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
look under multitool.org, go to "forum", then "shot show 2008" then "SOG Powercut". Some good close-up pics and a mini review are there.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3667.0.html

Wow, thanks for the responses. I want it even more now. lol. I sent Wayne a pm, but now that I followed the rest of the thread I think what his is might be a powerlock. :( Any idea on when these'll make it to the open market? What's wrong with the black finish? I really like the black. I work on boats in salt water a LOT so I need something that won't rust out. I take very good care of my tools, but it's pretty harsh out there. Thanks again for the pics.

g

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone had a little black come off in his hand everytime he used his powerplier.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Like in the early days or recently? I was kinda figuring it was a black oxide or some sort of anodizing, I'd be bummed if it flaked off but normal wear and rubbing off wouldn't hurt my feelings. I think it'd look pretty good when it got worn in if it wore on the "working" areas. Still no word on the official release. Must... wait... longer. :)

g

spoonrobot

Enlightened
It was most likely powder residue from the finish process. My Blast and Charge had it and I assume most other black oxide tools do.

The best thing to do is scrub it down with some dish soap and a toothbrush and then put it in front of a heater or a/c vent to let it dry and then oil it, the residue will be all gone and the tool will wear very nicely through use.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I've seen that before. Most of my tools get covered in oil/grease/grime enough to see plenty of cleaning-relubing time so I'm sure it won't be an issue. Still looking.... If you guys notice one in an online store in stock, post up ;)

g

lightinsky

Enlightened
All I gotta say is WOW!
I have a leatherman new wave, victorinox x tool, leatherman core and just purchased the SOG powerlock EOD with v cutter. I compared the pliers wire cutting power to all my other tools noted above. The others needs 2 or 3 squeezes to cut a 1/4 inch electric wire. The SOG with new style plier head cut it 1 squeeze so smooth and effortlessly. I was simply amazed how much better this tool is then the others. While I like all my tools I got I know EDC the SOG I got at Lowes in case your wondering. Just a note:
The victorinox performed the worst since it's plier surface cutting area is so small in comparison to the SOG, Wave and Core. Victorinox should redo the pliers to have more cutting are for wires to fit.

Getting the SOG was the best thing I did even though I have been thinking about it for months I got one and am very glad I did.