Good Quality Inflatable Air Mattress ?

Amonra

Enlightened
Ive had a few air mattresses and although they are comfortable every one i had ended up deflating during the night with no apparent leak and me and my gf always end up sleeping on hard rocky floor. And all were too small for me. im 6ft2 tall.

So now im on a quest to find a suitable size heavy duty air mattress that can take a beating and does not deflate.

Any recommendations for a good air mattress or any other equally comfortable alternative ?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ~$30 Coleman air mattress dies after about six months. At least mine did. It was sitting on top of a regular old mattress, so it wasn't rough use. The inflator was great though ;)

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
It's For camping purposes

If you are camper and not tent camping, the AeroBeds are great - my wife's family has gotten a lot of use out of the several that they all own. In fact, my wife lately has been spending quite a few nights at her sisters since it's close to her new job - she gets the AeroBed.

If you are tent camping, the self inflating quality brands can be very comfortable and long lasting (mine tends to leak a tiny bit over a full night).

Good Luck!

Amonra

Enlightened
It's for tent camping.
I dont need it to be self inflating, besides most self inflating beds ive seen work with 120V AC which are useless when camping.
i have a rechargeable pump for that.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
For tent camping and/or backpacking the Therm-a-Rest mattresses are great. They are truly self inflating - no batteries or power needed at all. I prefer the thicker ones, then you have extra height to play with as far as not inflating it fully leaving you with a softer, but still inflated, mattress. They are designed to keep you warm, insulated from the cold ground. There are other brands out now, but I've no first hand experience with other brands. Campmoor or REI would be a good place to get them, as they generally only sell good stuff. Get a stuff sack if it doesn't come with it.

Amonra

Enlightened
i dont quite get how those thermarest mattresses work. are they foam or air beds ? how do they inflate ? why are they so expensive ? they seem a little thin for airbeds, how comfortable are they ? what is meant by the R value ?
i tried their website but not much info there

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
been using thermrest inflatable pads for a number years. Camprest is the largest and what I use for Boy scout camping trips. where weight is not a concern.

for real back packing trips, I'll switch to a lighter version thermarest. alway carry a patch kit, as they can and will develop leaks.

those wavy foam pads may not be as comfortable, but they can't leak! but if you're camping in rocky conditions, a thermarest will float out rocks. hard to beat for comfort.

how they work is thermarest are a foam filled air mattress.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ditto, ditto, ditto on the Therm-a-Rest pads!! I've used them in Alaska on snow & ice, used them in Arizona in the desert, used them on hardwood floors...all I can say is :thumbsup: !!

Keeps me insulated from the cold, feels like a mattress to me. I wouldn't go backpacking/camping without mine!! While I let mine self-inflate, I do puff in a bit of extra air for a firmer pad.

HOWEVER, nothing wrong with a good Aerobed either, but they're more of an "extra bed" for the house IMHO.

Last edited:

Amonra

Enlightened
Thermal insulation is not that much of an issue for me. I live in Malta and it is generally good weather here. it almost never goes below 10 deg Celcius in the winter.
I am more concerned with being comfortable and with having a compact (when deflated) mattress. weight is not a big issue either.
I am currently using a 3 inch thick x 72 inch long x 48 inch wide (for 2 persons) open cell foam mattress which is comfortable but bulky.

So im guessing the best option is to go for an inflatable as it is comfortable and compact. but i have not yet found one that does not leak. every one i had leaked during the first night. I dont know if it is because of the valve or the material itself lets some air through as there never seemed to be a hole even though they pierce quite quickly.
When i was a kid we used to have air mattresses made of rubber impregnated canvas similar to the material used in dinghys and those could take a beating without leaking.

I still don't quite understand the thermarest concept though, correct me if im wrong:

thermarest mattresses are basically an air mattress with foam inside.
they are self inflatable because the foam is compressed when packed, letting out the air. when unpacked the foam "expands" sucking air in and the valve keeps the air inside.
an advantage would be that if it leaks you still have the foam but why not just have foam ?

Blacklight

Enlightened
Thermal insulation is not that much of an issue for me. I live in Malta and it is generally good weather here. it almost never goes below 10 deg Celcius in the winter.
I am more concerned with being comfortable and with having a compact (when deflated) mattress. weight is not a big issue either.
I am currently using a 3 inch thick x 72 inch long x 48 inch wide (for 2 persons) open cell foam mattress which is comfortable but bulky.

So im guessing the best option is to go for an inflatable as it is comfortable and compact. but i have not yet found one that does not leak. every one i had leaked during the first night. I dont know if it is because of the valve or the material itself lets some air through as there never seemed to be a hole even though they pierce quite quickly.
When i was a kid we used to have air mattresses made of rubber impregnated canvas similar to the material used in dinghys and those could take a beating without leaking.

I still don't quite understand the thermarest concept though, correct me if im wrong:

they are self inflatable because the foam is compressed when packed, letting out the air. when unpacked the foam "expands" sucking air in and the valve keeps the air inside.
an advantage would be that if it leaks you still have the foam but why not just have foam ?

I don't really have anything to do with the Airbeds at Coleman, but I can tell you they have an airtight guaranty. I have been in the factory where they are made, and every single one has a 24 hour leak test. They are also a thicker guage of vinyl than most airbeds.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...So im guessing the best option is to go for an inflatable as it is comfortable and compact. but i have not yet found one that does not leak.

That's why Thermarests are not cheap. They are made to take the abuse of camping and not leak.

You got it. You open the valve to let air in. When the foam expands and fills with air [5 min is usually fine] you close the valve. Depending on how firm you want it you can add air by blowing. When it has self-filled fully, one big breath is all it would take to fill it to the max, you are not there puffing and puffing. As I mentioned, I like it softer, so I usually don't add any air, but I do unroll it and let it breath for 15 min or so while I'm setting up. If it did leak, you wouldn't have much comfort and minimal thermal protection. Even though you camp in mild weather, if you are a little cold in the morning, a Thrermarest will add to your comfort. It is a time-tested and proven product.