Flashaholic new to knives.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I finally made it over here from the flashlight side of CPF. I guess I've been avoiding it here because I knew if I came over I would start buying knives.
A few weeks ago I was in a store and an employee was opening a box for me. He pulled out a folder and opened it one handed and I thought to myself I always wanted to do that. I've carried a leatherman micra for a while and it has served my cutting needs but it is a hassle to access the knife qucikly and of course it is very small. I used to carry a SAK for years but it fell out of favour for me because it did not lock and I could not open it one handed. Anyways, after seeing the guy in the store I decided to buy a folder to see if I would like carrying one. I went to a store and bought a Gerber L.S.T. II and I was hooked as soon as I started carrying it. After a visit here I bought a Syderco Byrd Meadowlark and a Byrd Starling from Lighthound and now I think I am going to get a Mini Griptilian. Oh brother here I go again...:broke:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I'm a big fan of the AXIS lock mechanism that BM uses on many of its knives. IMHO, there's no easier/safer mechanism when used one-handed. That being said, there are certainly other great mechanisms... I just think the AXIS excels in ease and safety. You can't go wrong with a Grip...get one. Also be sure to take a look at the Doug Ritter variants here.

- Chris

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the AXIS lock mechanism that BM uses on many of its knives. IMHO, there's no easier/safer mechanism when used one-handed. That being said, there are certainly other great mechanisms... I just think the AXIS excels in ease and safety. You can't go wrong with a Grip...get one. Also be sure to take a look at the Doug Ritter variants here.

- Chris

Thanks for the input Chris!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out le baron, they have a pretty good in store selection and price is very decent for a canadian dealer.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_access_sp08/index.htm scroll down to outdoor section and look for knives.

I was told by others benchmade treat their canadian dealer like crap, so most stopped carry benchmade. Duno if it's true but kinda explains why they are very hard to find here.

tussery

Enlightened
The Mini-Grip is a good smallish knife. I keep mine on hand as my secondary knife my main knife is a Mini-Ruckus. I have the D2 version offered through Cabela's. I would have gotten the Doug Ritter version but I don't care for the shape of the blade. The Axis lock is one of the best lock systems for single handed use IMO.

cutlerylover

Banned
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many fun nice usefull knives out there to buy, lol, so little money to spend, hang on to that wallet friend your in for a ride! LOL...

J!m

Newly Enlightened
I have a Benchmade with the D2 combination serrated/straight blade and I love it.

This alloy is supposedly just shy of ceramic in it's hardness, and I believe it.

I have a nice Kershaw with "assisted Opening" that I got at Wal-Mart of all places that has a super-smooth action. BUT the blade kept going dull on me.

Te Benchmade is not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion...

Here's a photo of the Benchmade...
EECD5380.jpg

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
+1 to Benchmade's AXIS system - I have a Mini-Grip and a Sequel, and LOVE both of them. I bought a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza a while back, and just plain didn't like it in comparison to my other two EDC knives! :shrug: :duck: While it was solid as a tank and as well-built as I've ever seen, the AXIS just kicks too much rear for ease of use! :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:
john

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for everyone's input. I find at the moment I like to pocket carry my knife so I am looking at blades less than 3 inches. Any other knives with comparable quality in the same price range and size as the Minigrip?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for everyone's input. I find at the moment I like to pocket carry my knife so I am looking at blades less than 3 inches. Any other knives with comparable quality in the same price range and size as the Minigrip?
Spyderco Native -- strong lockback, better steel than the Minigrip, better ergos and similar size. Price is even lower... However, everybody should own at least one folder with the Axis Lock. Mine is a 710, one heck of a knife. I had to pass on the Grip because of the too small size and the plastic feeling. That's my only gripe with it.

cutlerylover

Banned
I had to pass on the Grip because of the too small size and the plastic feeling. That's my only gripe with it.

the "plastic" handle is a big turn off to many people, althoguh I do not midn it at all, I can udnerstand why people dislike it, its too bad really, cause any version of the grip is a good work knife...

P.S. if you get a native get the S30V version...worth the extra few bucks!

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
A Spyderco Delica might also work for you. It's one of their all-time best sellers, for good reason. Spyderco's quality is excellent, and they stand behind their products. I broke -- through my own stupidity -- the plastic clip off an old style Delica, and they replaced it -- FREE -- with a steel clip. They even did a great job installing the new clip on my knife.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Spyderco Delica might also work for you. It's one of their all-time best sellers, for good reason. Spyderco's quality is excellent, and they stand behind their products. I broke -- through my own stupidity -- the plastic clip off an old style Delica, and they replaced it -- FREE -- with a steel clip. They even did a great job installing the new clip on my knife.

Regards,
Dirty Bob
Knife Works has the limited ZDP-189 Delica for a great price.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Axis lock. I carry a BM 960 in D2 steel. My wife carries a very small Lone Wolf Presto also with an Axis lock but it's not a one hand opener.
I want to get a BM Rukus. It's a huge folder.