Alkaline Battery Switched its polarity

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I had relatively new set of 4 x AAA CVS alkaline in TI-89 calculator. My son complained that the calculator shut off on him suddenly after warning the battery symbol. The batteries have been in the calculator for no more than a month.

The three batteries showed 1.35V but one of the battery is now showing negative 0.96V I was actually able to put the battery upside down in KD buckle and it actually lit up for a fraction of second.

Has anybody seen a situation like this ?

- Vikas

Brlux

Enlightened
It sounds like the one cell was nearly completely dead to start with and it in effect was charged backwards by the other 3 cells. Alks can be recharged slightly but it is not a good or safe idea, It was like putting the one dead cell in a charger backwards. It seems to have accepted a vary small reverse polarity charge.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I had relatively new set of 4 x AAA CVS alkaline in TI-89 calculator. My son complained that the calculator shut off on him suddenly after warning the battery symbol. The batteries have been in the calculator for no more than a month.

The three batteries showed 1.35V but one of the battery is now showing negative 0.96V I was actually able to put the battery upside down in KD buckle and it actually lit up for a fraction of second.

Has anybody seen a situation like this ?

- Vikas
Yes negative cell reversal happens quite frequently even in NiMh and other chemistries. You must always use fresh alkalines or cells with similar state of charge, similar brands, common batches, etc. The theory is that one of the cells may discharge to zero before the others do, then the other cells in the series will drive a negative voltage into the dead cell. Stuff like that will lead to leakage in alkalines and major problems in lithiums-ions.

sawlight

Enlightened
I needed some batteries for the camera a week ago. Stopped at a gas station on the way to get them. They were Durracells, but in an unbranded package. Out of dates I am assuming. The forst package I was given one of the batteries already had leaked and was covered on the bottom with white fluff!!! I asked for another package. That one seemed to work. But yeah, it's not an uncommon thing to get a bad batch anymore!!!

hopkins

Enlightened
Hi Vikas
Seems that calculator really drains batteries fast. Maybe sell it
and buy a solar powered one. No batteries needed! Save money
on batteries and the horror of dead batteries at school during a test!

Hopkins

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Hi Vikas
Seems that calculator really drains batteries fast. Maybe sell it
and buy a solar powered one. No batteries needed! Save money
on batteries and the horror of dead batteries at school during a test!

Hopkins

The Ti89 is a graphing calculator, I don't know of any solar powered calculators at this time.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only remember one cell I've seen that had a negative voltage, an alkaline button cell. And FWIW just recently I saw my first button cell that had popped open - I presume because it was reverse charged.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those big programmable graphing calculators like the TI-89 are power hungry beasts. 4xAAA alkalines provide far more power than a small solar cell can produce.