Help me identify this strange multi tool with ruler/saw blade

Cydonia

Enlightened
An early Gerber Leatherman precurser? Or rip off clone? All it says in the way of markings is "KC professional No. 95121 Stainless Steel". I googled that to try and find some reference to it or diagram sheet. Nothing turned up.

The wavy edge to the ruler... not a saw... so what is it meant for?
Smooth rounded "comb" like serrated edges - not sharp at all.

I've wondered about this since I bought the multi tool back in the 90's, used, from a friend who didn't want it anymore. (why didn't I ask then what the ruler thing was for?) How about I file the edges of this thing down to make a primitive type saw blade - at least that may make it useful for something ;) I might be able to appreciate it if I knew what its original intended function was.

:wtf:

Ruler-Saw.jpg

Ruler-Saw2.jpg

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The blade isn't a saw blade. It is a fish scaler. There were also knives made with one knife blade and a second blade for scaling fish.

Marko

Newly Enlightened
Yep, Hoghead is right; it is indeed a fish scaler - with saw You could slit Your fingers. Have You got a picture of the whole multi tool? With pliers?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Fish scaler?! I'm speechless....really. :faint:
I would never have guessed. Thank you Hoghead.

As it stands now I'm tossing this multitool back into the tool box since I've no use whatsoever for it.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum... I seem to have forgotten about the Multitool section...

Full picture, yes, here:
(Early 90's Gerber or a clone?)

Ruler-Saw3.jpg

sawlight

Enlightened
Nothing about it says Gerber to me!!! Looks like the early Leatherman's. Might have been the company that Leatherman bought out to get it all started. Might have been the original Leatherman company even?
Back in the 80's and early 90's fish scalers were very common on knives and multi tools. I always found them useless. I have yet to see one work worth a hoot!!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leatherman ripoffs have been around a long time and this looks like one of them. I remember seeing them in the mid to late 80's even. Like Beamhead says it's basically a clone of the first style of Leatherman - but to my eye certain cuts on it make it look lower quality than the real Leatherman.

Last edited:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
The fish scaler is a dead giveaway that it is an off-brand multi. I can't think of any major production tool that has/had a fish scaler on it.

The philips driver is another hint, Chinese drivers are soft and nebulous looking.

"Stainless Steel" is another one.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Well, I guess it is a junk rip off... :D I'm laughing because I only paid $5 for it. Fish scaler indeed! well, thanks guys for solving the mystery!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a cheap imported plier with a blade in one handle and a scaler/hook disgorger (the notch in the end of the scaler) in the other back in the 60's. It was really junk, but was available for a couple of years or so.