Magnetic mount FM antenna?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I really don't feel like dropping my fender off to replace my antenna (Firebird) I've been hunting for a magnetically mounted FM antenna. Can anybody point me in the right direction? All the parts stores have standard replacements; but like I said that would require me to pull my fender (and thus my hood and front clip) to remove my old power antenna.

Would my CB antenna work? I'm sure I could adapt the BNC connection to audio antenna, but I don't know how well it would tune to those frequencies...

macforsale

Enlightened
CB should work OK for local AM/FM reception. The length is for the transmit side to maximize the low power out. Not that it don't have some improvement on reception, but with the high power of your local radio station you can't tell.

spock

Enlightened
buck91, if you are using a base loaded(coil on bottom)antenna, most of them have a shunt to ground rated at 50 ohms for the transmitter to be properly loaded. the screw end on the coax is called a pl259. an ohm meter from the center pin to the threaded side(ground)will show as a short. it should work if you only make contact with the pin inside the pl259 coax end. do not use an adapter from the pl259 to the automotive(plug in)antenna cable going to the radio. this might in effect short out your car radio antenna input socket to ground.
info for magnetic antenna only. a base loaded trunk mount(clamp/screws)may have the shunt grounded to the metal lid of the trunk.