How big is "too big" for EDC?

Raven

Enlightened
How big is \"too big\" for EDC?

I could have posted this in either of the main forums, but the light that prompted this post is an led.

Like a lot of cpf'ers I've been drooling over the, as yet to be released, streamlight twin task lights.

The two that really appeal to me, the 3aa xenon/3 led and the 3aa lux star, are both over 8 inches long.

I think the "is that a flash light in your pocket" joke actually applies in this case.

There's really no way to EDC either of those lights concealed, and I have to wonder why streamlight didn't decide to make a 2aa xenon/3 led instead of a 3aa.

At first I thought these new task lights would kill the bad boys and new beams, but since those are 2aa (and a tad shorter) I don't see the task lights replacing them.

I am curious though, at what point most cpf'ers decide a light is too large to EDC.

Raven

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
Re: How big is

My old 6D Maglight got a little too much attention stuffed in my pants. Now I just carry my ARC SLS. Not as impressive, but its easier to get around.

sakane

Newly Enlightened

I "EDC" the ARC-AAA and SureFire E1e/KL1. I also own the E2e but, found the E1e/KL1 to be about as large a flashlight I want to carry everyday.

Although I haven't bought one yet, I think the ARC-LSH_P would be the ideal SIZE and power (if it has the same brightness as the KL1) for an "EDC" light.

I also found you need a certain amount of light-power to be useful as an "EDC". While walking or searching, the ARC-AAA is only good for a few feet, while the E1e/KL1 is good for 15 feet. I also found, while fixing my toilet bowl float, the brighter E1e/KL1 (clipped to my baseball cap) was the only useful (bright) light.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i edc a brinkmann 3aa mod quite comfortably in most of my pants.

i think that is about the limit for me...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
sakane said:

Although I haven't bought one yet, I think the ARC-LSH_P would be the ideal SIZE and power

[/ QUOTE ]

It is....SERIOUSLY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The high-dome LS is VERY suitable for everyday tasks. Everything i have ever said about Luxeon Star LEDs not being bright eneogh, is wrong after owning one of these. Currently, i believe the ARC LSH-P is the only production flashlight that has the high-dome LSs. Not even the KL heads from Surefire has the high-domes. There IS that much difference between them.

I think you'll like the Arc LSH-P. I know i certainly do!

kz1000s1

Enlightened

For me a light is too big when you can notice that you are carrying it. My normal EDC is an ARC LS with the twist cap, and sometimes a Surefire L1. For me, anything bigger like my 6P needs a holster or pants with cargo pockets.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arc LS (high dome) with the 1x123 clickie is perfect for me. I have the KL1 with the E2e but that's the light that gets left behind at home. Sure it has uses around the house but the Arc is by far the light that gets EDC duty.

CM

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would agree with Dave. I dont have a Surefire 6P, but i do have a Surefire E2. And i would consider that close to the limit of acceptable EDC. Anything wider in girth, would probably get in the way. The E2 already gets in the way with some dress pants; I can't put my hand in my pockets as easily, at times.

I would also like to add that the Arc LS, while it is small and powerfull, it does lack a pocket clip. I personally think that an EDC light, like an EDC knife, should have a pocket clip. Items like these tend to be bigger than most of the other items we carry, with the exception of cellphones. The Arc AAA would be a PERFECT size for any EDC flashlight, but it's not bright enoegh for most EDC critereas. Having said that, the Arc LS just sits at the bottom of your pocket, with the rest of your "stuff". It gets hard to locate and it's hard to quickly "draw" when you need it most, especially in panic, high adrenaline, exictement, or when you just have too many things in your pockets. It also leaves a buldge wherever it sits in your pocket. It gets really annying with tight pants, especially when you walk or sit down. I want it secured.

With that in mind, the closest light, in terms of function, to the Arc LS would be the Surefire L1. (In my opinion of course...i don't have an L1) It's dedicated to LED technology, where the E1/KL1 is a hybrid, in a sense, and it doesn't have the dual-stages that the L1 has. And it has a pocket clip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pocket-clip are the way to go. Holsters have never really worked for me, because they are impractical for everday use, especially at school.

I hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reaper

Enlightened
Re: How big is \"too big\" for EDC?

Brinkmann 3AA would be maximum length for my belt carry. My usual EDC is rotated between a 2AA or 3AA Opalec but I just received my BB400 Q3L so now I have 3 choices.

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened

I EDC a LGI in my when I'm wearing pants with cargo pockets, which is most of the time. I like how it sticks out of the cargo pocket, making it easy to grab when I need it.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i EDC a C2 clipped in the front pocket of my jeans, and i don't notice it. i find that if the light is secured to somewhere on your hip (e.g. belt, holster, etc) whereby your legs don't hit the light when you walk, the bulk or size of the light becomes less noticeable and obstructive/intrusive. i hardly notice my C2, but i get irritated when my arc AAA starts hitting my leg from inside my pocket when i walk, ditto for loose change, handphone, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would think that correct EDC is what is needed/required on an everday basis. That will differ from person to person. So you end up with 2 EDCs: Personal and Work related.

My personal always on me, EDC, is currently a CMG Infinity Ultra. My current backup EDC is my white Arc LS w/2C pack attached.

Kiu

Enlightened

for a flashalolic, EDC may just carry but not use much on everyday basis. (like me, i just my E2e for a few mins everday) So, i just accept the size of E2e.
Certainly, if i really use it frequently everyday or use as work, i can accept bigger size like C3, M2 (with holster)

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like I can beat all of you. Recently, at night, I've been carrying my UBH w/M2-P90 in one of the lower side pockets on my pants...

Mark

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

I like to carry my EDC my the front pants pocket so I try to get the brightest small light I can get to fit in there comfortably. Currently I use an Arc LSH-P or an Arc Grey Kit (modified by ab with a Q3H LD) both with the twist pack. The Arc Grey is much brighter but the LSH-P is a little whiter so it depends on my mood which one to carry. Overall I think the Arc is perfect in size and function for me until something better comes out.

I've used an E2E for a while but it got uncomfortable sometimes.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

my E2e is prolly about as big as id like to carry everyday. this might change tho, when i get an M2+KL3

onelight

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif many of you guys may already use them,but a short lanyard 4" or 5" long on an LS pocket tool etc. makes them a lot simpler to retrieve from pocket or pouch. You can add a key ring to the off end and clip it to a key retainer on your belt and still carry the light in your pocket. With or without the key ring I like the lanyards. Hope this might help when you do not have a pocket clip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Maximum size EDC torch is a 2C

As your typical torchaholic, I alternate my EDC regularly partially to compare performances.
Generally when I'm motorcycling, I have at least one torch in my bike bag. Usually this is my cyan BT2. This torch lives in my denim jacket, too when I'm out and about. It is a bright little torch for its size with a smooth beam which I can negotiate some of the local unlit footpaths with easily.
At other times I've used Oranges & Lemons, a 2 yellow/2 Orange LED modfied 2AA torch.
The largest I used as an EDC was a 2C "Tangerine Dream" as it is cheap to run and has an extremely long battery life. It has been through a lot, and is now a bit battered and bruised, losing its lanyard and its lens is now a bit scratched. It is a torch that has seen active service in the workplace as a task light with the aid of a retort stand, and a couple of times as a power outage light.
When camping I tend to use and carry larger torches. If I get away this Easter I shall be trying out the Elektrolumens Cyan 5 watter!

Ralf

Enlightened
Re: Maximum size EDC torch is a 2C

I EDC'd an ARC AAA and a SF E2E,
but after I got an ARC LS1 with twist pack ...
Its the perfect EDC for me. And I am very happy
to got one with twist pack, fits perfect in
an watch pocket ...

Cheers
Ralf