How to deal with ANTI WAR PROTESTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us will encounter "Peace Activists" who will try and convince us that we must refrain from retaliating against the ones who terrorized us all on September 11, 2001, and those who support terror.

These activists may be alone or in a gathering.....most of us don't know how to react to them. When you come upon one of these people, or one of their rallies, here are the proper rules of etiquette:

1. Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a conversation if necessary and look very interested in their ideas. They will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who did this to us, we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian.

2. In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the nose.

3. When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and they may try to hit you, so be careful.

4. Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them if they are really committed to a nonviolent approach to undeserved attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying.

5. Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are correct.

6. As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much harder. Square in the nose.

7. Repeat steps 2-5 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot realizes how stupid of an argument he/she is making.

8. There is no difference in an individual attacking an unsuspecting victim or a group of terrorists attacking a nation of people. It is unacceptable and must be dealt with. Perhaps at a high cost.

We owe our military a huge debt for what they are about to do for us and our children. We must support them and our leaders at times like these. We have no choice. We either strike back, VERY HARD, or we will keep getting hit in the nose.

Lesson over, class dismissed.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

when i saw the subject line, i said to myself "punch them in the face..."

seriously, once of the few things i can't stand is ignorance and stupidity, and that is just about the only reason to protest this war. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

it really bothers me that these idiots were gathering, and not only were some of them being rowdy, they were blocking the streets, and taking away the police, that could be better used elsewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beter be careful doing this- they are starting to carry "molotov covtails" in their "quest for peace".

They might burn you up literally instead of figuratively.

And the police might not help- after all, it is just "free speech"....

Just as the police lieutenant up in the northern part of my state said while watching "peace activists" vandalizing a house that SecDef Rumsfeld owns up near Taos; He refused to take action against these criminals, on the basis that vandalism and tresspass against Republicans are actually allowed under the First Ammendment. (That's not exactly what he said, but I'm pretty sure that's what was thinking.)
---------------------------------------------------------

Look, I doubt that TKL or any of the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif responders are really advocating assault on peaceful protesters as long as they obey the law, and respect other people's rights. It is just an exercise in logic that is so simple that even most of the more mentally challenged protesters could grasp.

And that thing TKL posted isn't anything new; I remember something almost identical to it back in the late 60s circulating around my R.O.T.C. classes.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, they might just do the sensible law abiding thing and call the police who will arrest you. This is still a peaceful thing and will most likely result in a criminal conviction since you will committing battery in front of a group of witnesses.

In this way, you might learn that there are in fact other approaches available instead of just striking back and some of them might very well be more effective.

Just something to think about,
Pat

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
TKL, thanks!

I believe and maybe I'm just misguided, that many, many of these protesters are at least semi-pro players in the protest league. Kind of a "Tell me what we're protesting if it make you feel better, cuz it don't matter to me" deal. These people get whipped into a frenzy and do all sorts of foolish things. I also believe the majority of antiwar protestors believe in what they are doing but can find themselves caught up in the moment and can do things they will later regret. We should look at the root of a specific protest, the sponsor for lack of a better term and determine which group or organization is really driving the bus. We then report that x-group is holding an anti-war protest. This would give us a better understanding and perspective of the protesters and their agenda.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad you guys liked it, i can't take credit for the words though, my brother emailed it to me. where he got it, i don't know.

diesel dave, i think you are right my friend.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
tkl...and all this time I've had it wrong! I stand corrected and now am prepared to deal with them! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Good points Dave.
I have to admit I laughed when I read it, but I still don't think that's the right thing to do.

If I knew for a fact that a certain protestor or protestors were true agitators, politically motivated with a desire to harm our country then a heavy-booted kick might not be inappropriate. But I have to believe that some of these folks, perhaps many of them, are sincerely motivated, if in my view misguided Americans who honestly feel differently than we do and are excercising the right to (peacefully) demonstrate their views. Unfortunately it can be hard to tell the misguided from the "semi-pros".

I was uncomfortably close to the action on 9/11, but even if is were proven beyond doubt that Saddamn had nothing to do with the attack I would still be for our invasion, though I've had some pretty heated arguments with colleagues about this.

Since that horrible day only two things have gotten me really angry: the attack itself, after the fear and shock had lessened, and the statement: "I'm really ashamed to be an American" which I've heard used all too frequently in the last few days. A good friend used that phrase today and I was surprised at the uprush of fury that I felt. I just told her that, "We don't agree on this", and excused myself before I said something I would be sorry for later.

Brightnorm

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Brightnorm, I think you've given me an answer to the question asked in the post. I'm going to buy a flag to put on the car. I'm pretty sure you know the one I mean...the pretty one, with the red and white stripes, and those cute little white stars on the blue field.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
Brightnorm, I think you've given me an answer to the question asked in the post. I'm going to buy a flag to put on the car. I'm pretty sure you know the one I mean...the pretty one, with the red and white stripes, and those cute little white stars on the blue field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,

That is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I don't think of myself as overly emotional, but would you believe I got a lump in my throat reading your post?

Brightnorm

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Punch a peace protestor in the nose.... could it be extended to ministers of religion?! Since most religions preach peace and tolerance, etc.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if you you get away with punching a peace protester in the nose, where will it stop???

Next you nasty conservatives would want to be punching other kinds of ignorant fools in the nose.

The world wouldn't be safe for the ignorant any more. People would have to either smarten up or go around with bloody noses all the time. That just wouldn't be fair.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
of course...we can't just beat the stupid people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif that would be descriminatory... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
......you might learn that there are in fact other approaches available instead of just striking back and some of them might very well be more effective.....

[/ QUOTE ]

No arguement from me on this statement, I just thought it is kind of ironic that the "avatar" of the person who posted it is a graphic of a guy throwing a punch!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, a large part of the protesters are the professionals. I hate everything so I am going to try and mess it up type of people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to consider this:

Is every war protestor the same as the next?

I suppose it is comfortable to find a quote from one, and then assume that all are the same.

You might consider that some of the people in this protest are not opposed to all war...just this particular war. My mother is one that is opposed to ALL war and says that WAR is NEVER the answer. I've never agreed with that. War definitely settled the issue with Hitler and stopped the Nazi program of systematically killing the jews.

On the other hand, we killed a LOT of people in VietNam...and didn't accomplish anything. My brother fought in VietNam and I honor his service to our country. But I believe that it was a war we should not have fought.

There are those that simply disagree with the Bush strategy of attacking Iraq when it was Al Queda that attacked us on 9-11. Yes, I know that Bush has claimed all sorts of stretched "facts" to show a link to Al Queda. Even the recent Al Queda video tape was trotted out to "prove" that the two are linked. On that very same tape, AL Queda condemmed Saddam. Al Queda wants to impose a fundamentalist muslim gov't. Saddam is a secular gov't that Al Queda opposes.

I'm proud that there are Americans that have taken an oath of honor to defend our country and our constitution. I totally support our troops. However, they must rely on the rest of us not in uniform to figure out what is the best course in which to use our military. Not even the generals in all of the armed forces agree on every tactic or every strategy.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfen said:...large part of the protesters are the professionals.

I don't know where you have been to meet the protestors that you claim to know all about. I live in Iowa. My wife has attended several protests against this war. I have met many of the folks in that protest and talked to them. They are all locals. They have jobs here in Iowa. A few are students, most are older than that.

Maybe in some of the big cities there are "professional trouble makers" in these protests, but...it is not what is happening here in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.