• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

GD500 safe on 2 x CR123?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning to modify some KLx heads with the GD500. Main configuration will be 1 x CR123 (3 V) and 1 x 17670 (3.7 V).
On the Shoppe, I see that the maximum Vin for the GD500 is 5.4 Volt.
How that works with 2 x 123 (6 V)? Will that kill the converter, or make it work out of specs, or else?

Thanks

Anthony

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Anthony,

If you plan to occasionally use 2x123, get the SOB 500mA converter. You don't want to use 2x123 with a GD. You do lose a bit of efficiency, but that's what rechargeables are for! :) However, if getting that extra 10% or so of efficiency, then resolve yourself not to use 2x123 with this configuration. :shrug: Or buy both! :laughing:

john

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you...

I have Seouled all KL1 and KL3, with the necessary change in the optics. My next step is to Seoul some KL4s, since I like the spread of the beam... So I'm going to replace ths stock converter of the KL4 with a GD. I use the KL4 mainly with 17670 or RCR123 (The TW4, you may recall it...).

My question was: "What happen if, by mistake, I place two primary CR123 in the L4, with a GD converter?" Now with the stock converter borrowed from a KL1 (old gen III, 500 mA to LED) it works fine.

Anthony

Greg G

Enlightened
I asked Wayne this question a couple of months back when I considered putting a GD driver in a Surefire mod set up for 1x 18650. I was curious if 2 CR123's would also work in a pinch. He said he "didn't know". It might work, it might not. You don't know until you try, and if the board fries it's your baby. And even if the first board doesn't fry, it doesn't mean that the next one won't.

I ended with an SOB driver.

Last edited:

Ms_SS

Enlightened
The GD is a single cell driver. It will not work on 2 cells.