Flashlights On Airplanes

BruiseLee

Enlightened
With airport security at an all time high, I was wondering what experiences people have had at airports regarding their flashlights. I would think something like an Arc AAA would be fine, a 3 D-cell Maglite would be a no-no.

But, what about inbetween lights like a Surefire 6P or a Streamlight Scorpion? Or even a Surefire E2E? The last time I flew, the security personnel made me break the 1" nail file off my $1.50 pair of nail clippers! I can't imagine any situation where those would be a good weapon; I would much rather use my hands.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the biggest flashlight you've been able to carry on an airplane since 9-11?

Bruise

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I carried an ARC AAA, Scorpion and a filled with ice water Camelbak on a plane last fall. I also had 3 sets of batteries for each. I mention the Camelbak because I have one that's black and looks rather tactical (the Transformer) and thought for sure I would get a ration of grief. I had the Scorpion inside the pack with the extra batteries. I went to Canada with it. I also had my cell phone and two GMRS radios in the pack.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did an international flight from San Diego, CA to Manila, Philippines, with a stop over in San Fransisco and Hawaii, with similar equipment as DieselDave, minus the GMRS radios.

I carried the following.
Camelbak with water
Surefire E2 and Turquoise Arc AAA on person
Lambda Illuminator, Arc SLS with all battery packs, Princeton Tec Attitude, spare alkaline AA, AAA, and Lithium 123 spares.
CD player and digital camera.

I wasn't stopped even once on my way to the Philippines for a random check, and the screeners NEVER EVER looked at me with suspicion. I kept an eye on the screeners and they weren't lazy, they were attentive to detail, so i know they saw my equipment.
This was all in August of 2002. I don't know what the thread level was at, i think it was at yellow...or was it orange? I don't remember. Anyway, it was smooth sailing. Except for one MINOR incedent on the way back.

One of the metal dector screeners saw me put my E2 and Arc AAA in the pass-through basket, and he pulled me aside to question the lights. He told me to "please open" the flashlight...and i did. I guess he smelled the lithium batteries as i opened them, and he asked me if the device emitted any gasses. I said "...just a very little, it's normal. You can keep the batteries if it's going to be a problem." He said that it would be okay and let me go on my way. The security in the Philippines is a LOT tighter than in the US...from my experiences. Maybe because they don't have the technology that we do, they need more human resource to do the security checks.

Anyway, you shouldn't have any problems with small flashlights.

avusblue

Enlightened
I just flew on Monday and Wednesday this week, and airport security seemed definitely higher on both ends of the trip. However, my trusty Arc AAA (worn around my neck) and E2e/KL1 (in my bag) caused no scrutiny. Bring 'em! Especially if staying in a high rise hotel.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew from Tokyo to Seoul, South Korea and back again last week, and had no problems.
In my carry-on I had an E2e, Arc AAA, and an LS modified E1e, with spare batteries for all. None of these generated any interest whatsoever.

The security check at Incheon airport in South Korea for the return flight was worthy of note - when going through the metal detector, all passengers had to take off their shoes, put them in a basket which went through x-ray, and walk through the metal detector in a supplied pair of slippers. Overcoats or heavy coats also had to be taken off and put through the x-ray..
The sensitivity of their metal detector seemed to be set fairly high as well - my wristwatch(titanium alloy) and my belt buckle were sufficient to set it off, although I've gone through numerous other airport detectors with the same items and without a peep.

Also interesting was the fact that they did not ask me to remove the battery pack from my laptop PC and send it through the x-ray separately - something which I've seen done regularly in other countries.

Graham

Reaper

Enlightened
Left for a trip to Hong Kong not too long ago from SFO. My keyring Infinity plus my shoulder bag with 1-3AA Opalec, 1-LGI, 1 ARC AAA clipped to zipper pull, 1 Eternalight, enough batteries for 2 complete changes. Security checker, after turning on the lights one by one, wants to know why so many lights? Laughs when I tell him I live in Ca. with earthquakes and power outages. Wait till next trip, I'm also adding my new BB400 Q3L also. Leaving Hong Kong, no one checks or cares.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I have traveled several times out of Denver and never had a problem (I usually carry a Streamlight Scorpion and a photon microlight in carry one, since this was before my arc arrived). Mostly recently was a trip to London, which passed with no problems.

One thing you should know is that while I have never had a problem with lights, when traveling back from Mexico they will not allow you to have any spare batteries (and if you do the "impound" them). Maybe we should start a similar policy and get jobs at airport security if we ever get low on batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I ever flew again (or attempted to), and got hassled by the Idiots, I would remind them that everything is a weapon, and the physical body represents 48 weapons. You have to confiscate ALL of the weapons.

Actually, since I normally fly via oneway ticket, I would be arrested as a terrorist at the ticket counter. When I fly somewhere, I am moving there. It is called the SSI method of travel: One Way.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew to New Orleans and back over Christmas with photons and an Inova X5T and was only pulled aside on the flight back, for a bag check. The screener didn't know what the X5 was and when I told him it was just an LED flashlight he just asked me to activate it to show him and that's all. I think it's a good thing that at least they are cautious about material they aren't sure about and I cooperated cheerfully. The many times I have taken lights in carry on they have never had a problem with my lights just occasional curiousity.

Just be sure you don't carry on any obvious Impact devices (TID's etc...) They are training screeners to recognize most impact weapons and some are just obvious as to their use.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened
I still have my Mag Solitaire on my keyring, and I also had a red laser(you know, tiny thing operated by 3 button cells). They confiscated the laser in Heathrow airport. Oh well.

jack32088

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
what about the batonlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the TSA lists kuboton as a prohibited device, I would not risk trying to pass with a batonlite, especially since it has the word baton on the barrel.

Back in FEB, I had a Photon, ARC-AAA, 2AA Maglight, 6P, 6Z, and one of Mr Bulk's mini-LGI's. The mini-LGI was the only thing that caused any interest at all. (It was in my coat pocket. Also in the coat were my keys, cell phone, and a laser pointer / pen, which were all ignored.) I overheard two of the screeners trying to decide if they were looking at batteries, so maybe the three cells in a triangle is not something they are used to seeing? Had all the same gear on the return, and noone cared.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got on board with my E2, scorpion, eternalight, lightwave 2000. Photon, ARC, Innova and a rage, with no problems, they got interested in the Eternalight, but it was only curiosity.

OTOH my father got confiscated about 20 AA batteries he carries arround for his talkabouts, because in Acapulco there is a restriction regarding batteries, they must be inside the equipment they power, they got it on paper, so beware.

HTH
Alex

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
To be truly sure of getting your torch on an aeroplane:

1) Make sure that it is as "torch-like" as possible. An Eternalight Raven or even one of my EMPOWERTORCH BT1's could appear as something unfamiliar on an Xray machine, and might lead to a baggage search.

2) Metal in torches carried on the person will set off the metal detectors in airport security areas. RyanAir have a great idea... place all metal objects in your carry-on bag and send that through the machine.

3) Avoid the use of torches with inverters in them on board an aeroplane in flight, as this could interfere with the aeroplane's avionics.

4) Some airlines do not allow the carrying of "live" electrical equipment aboard aeroplanes, either in the hold or hand luggage. Flying with an empty torch is the safest thing to do.

5) Large torches could be construed as a weapon and may be not allowed in hand luggage. A large metal torch will show up very starkly on the x ray machine and will promote a baggage search, Put large torches in the hold luggage.

Size15's

Flashaholic
3) Avoid the use of torches with inverters in them on board an aeroplane in flight, as this could interfere with the aeroplane's avionics.

Like cell/mobile phones interfer with aeroplane systems!
Yeah right!
It's just because your cell phone passes through the cells so fast that if lots of people on planes at takeoff and landing were using them, the cells near the airport would over-load and jam up.

I carried a full range of SureFires from WeaponLights to L1 when I went to SHOT 2003. You know what? One guy wanted to check my Super SabreLite because he thought it could be used as a weapon. The SureFire M6 wasn't even looked at!

They won't let you take tweezers though...

It's a joke.

Al

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
4) Avoid telling the security guard that your light is called a "WeaponLight", "SureFire", "Sabre", "Stinger", "Tiger", "Surge", "Scorpian" etc as the names are much more dangerous than the device...

highlandsun

Enlightened
There are documented cases of cellphones, laptops, and walkmen interfering with aircraft avionics. It's no joke, and you really don't want to see anyone running thru the cabin looking for the offending item as the cockpit instrument panels all go dead. Particularly not during landing or takeoff.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
4) Avoid telling the security guard that your light is called a "WeaponLight", "SureFire", "Sabre", "Stinger", "Tiger", "Surge", "Scorpian" etc as the names are much more dangerous than the device...

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO - very true. I can see it all now...

"...oh that? That's just my SureFire modified weaponlight, along with a few Stingers for backup. I also have a couple M4 Devastator's in my luggage - need to see those too?"

Soon to be followed by a mass of security personel and the following /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronics of an inverter in a torch are so minor that I can't honestly see any issue with taking it on a plane - even if there was concern, the usual "don't use it during takeoff or landing" would apply.

Most airlines allow electronic devices like laptop computers etc to be used during flight, so I can't see that carrying a torch which uses an inverter (not even being actively used, at that) would be a problem.

Graham

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was told by a pilot that modern aeroplanes are not troubled by consumer grade electronics.

But then again it was in the same conversation as this

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif