7-LED Vista-Lite Bicycle Tail Light w/Pics

Illuminated

Enlightened
Since this is such a great bicycle tail light, I was compelled to show it here.

Seven (7) LED's, super-small and amazingly bright. Quality construction, waterproof, uses 2AAA's, and comes with an excellent quick-release bracket. Non-metallic bracket attaches securely to various tube diameters "hose clamp style", and features tilt angle adjustment for optimum visibility from the rear. The light itself has a belt/pocket clip for use w/o bracket if desired.

The light has two operating modes which are easily accessed via a rubber sealed button on the rear of the body. Steady Mode is *very* bright and Vista-Lite claims a 10-hour run time. Flashing Mode at 0.5 Hz [EDIT: approx. 4 flashes/sec ~ 240Hz] is an attention-getter and conserves power for supposedly 100 hours of run time.

Before I started using NiMH AAA's, I would get an entire season of use from one set of alkalines using mostly the flashing mode (??? hours). More recently I just swap-in fresh NiMH's every other ride (just to be safe) and run in steady mode for maximum visibility. Battery changes are easy though it requires removing (2) screws with a small phillips. Screws are machine thread (not self-tapping) and run in metal inserts inside the light. O-rings are used for protection from the elements.

Shown here next to an AA cell for size reference...

fc78078e.jpg

...and most common mounting method on the bike...

fc781b8f.jpg

...in operation as viewed from 20 feet...

fc7819e4.jpg

...and again from 80 feet.

fc781aca.jpg

Pics were taken in bright twilight conditions though they make it appear slightly lighter than it actually was.

Drivers I know have often commented on how visible this light is from considerable distances. I've been using this for several years and it has *never* let me down. I suppose I could even say that I trust my life to it when I'm on the bike at night...

The bottom line? Highly recommended by this user for the $15-$20 invested.

I only wish I lived in a more bike-friendly area... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

John

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Nice!
I use this one as well...very bright indeed...
I just wish it was more convenient to change the batteries (I use nimh, too!)

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a similar one (looks identical but is a little more rounded and has less mounting options) that I really like. These things are really bright and work great!

-Mike

Velcro

Enlightened
Cool! I've got a taillight from Smart® that looks very similar to the Vista and is pretty bright. However, I read somewhere that the Vista uses magnifying lenses for extra brightness. Is that true? If so, I just might have to get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I never thought about using NiMH's in my taillights. Do you get the same brightness as with alkalines?

Velcro

Illuminated

Enlightened
Velcro,

The Eclipse does seem to have some sort of lenses molded into the red cover. Can't say whether or not it's brighter on alkalines than on NiMHs because I don't have two to do a side-by-side comparison. I *can* say that either way it's so damn bright it's hard to look at.

I haven't compared all the LED tail lights that are out there - and I know that there are some new ones - but my neighbor owns a bike shop and these things are one of the smallest and brightest and easiest to mount that we've seen.

John

Velcro

Enlightened
Icebreak, look here:

Bike Nashbar ($14)

REI ($20)

Performance Bike ($15.99)

Note that I don't know those companies, I just found them while I was looking for a good Eclipse picture.

FWIW, I found a very nice close-up of the Eclipse dome here. You can see those lenses. What I also noticed it that all the LED's point in one direction? I don't really like that. I was hoping the magnified LED's took care of the rear and the other ones would produce visibility to the sides, because having LED's in two or (preferably) three independent directions is just way safer. Hmmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Velcro

Illuminated

Enlightened
I've purchased once or more from each of those companies without a problem.

Velcro, you are correct - all the LEDs point rearward for maximum visibility from the rear.

Note, however, that those vertical lines in the lens cover are actually sort of like prizms and work similar to a fresnel lens to throw *some* light at wider angles. Also note that the red lens cover wraps half-way around the body to allow more light from the sides. It' not a perfect solution to side-facing LED's, but it's not bad.

I suppose it might even be possible to bend one LED on each side *outward* to improve visibility from the sides, but I'm not sure if the circuit board/reflector assembly can be removed from the lens or not.

John

Velcro

Enlightened
Okay, you convinced me. I have to get one (like I don't have enough taillights already). Damn CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
Finding one will be tough though, as Vistalite products don't seem to be sold here.
Cateye and Smart dominate our bike shops. I'll look around anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Velcro

Illuminated

Enlightened
Sorry Velcro,

Didn't mean to twist your arm. But I *do* like mine.

Upon closer inspection I did notice a couple of things-

First, it would be difficult to remove the circuit board from the front lens as the threaded metal screw inserts are knurled and work like rivets to secure the board assembly to the lens. I'm not sure whether they're pressed in or what, but they seem to be in there plenty tight.

Secondly, my previous comment about the possibility of bending the LED leads to increase sideward visibility was in err because you can't get to them without removing the circuit board & inserts. Also, the LED's are seated flat against the board.

Velcro, since you made me think more about side visibility, I did take a closer look at that aspect.

The Vista-Lite does have some visibility from the sides and even from towards the front, but it's mostly the illuminated "wrap-around" lens that you see.

I decided to add some red reflective tape to the black part of the body, wrapping around from the sides to the back of the light. A hobby knife was used to trim the tape cleanly along the double-curved sides where the lens meets the body.

That reflective tape rocks! I've even put it on my helmet, aong other things. The thing is though, is that it only works when viewed from nearly the same point as a light source (such as from behind headlights). Won't help much at twilight when drivers don't use their lights (they can see just fine - what's the problem?).

Velcro, any idea what shipping from Ohio, USA to your locale might run? I'd be willing to do so if there's no better alternative.

John

Velcro

Enlightened
John, my excuses for not responding to your post a little faster. I had some computer problems.

Your offer is very kind and I'll keep it in mind. I'm going to take a final look around first to see what I can come up with. I thought about sending an email to Vista to ask if they have a dealer here, but noticed they don't have a contact adres on the site. I'll have to try their NZ or AU duplicate site.

As for twisting my arm, I don't mind at all. I got this thing for taillights. Don't know why. Friends and family often ask me what I'm doing with so many taillights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Velcro

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I have used the vista and it is a great light.. I prefer the planet bike 7 led tail light.. I do a lot of night riding and like the fact that the 7 led's are not all facing backwards.. They have 7 Super-bright LEDs aimed 5 ways for 220 degrees of visibility.. Kinda of a nice thing. There is a seller on ebay who sells them for under $10.00 plus shipping.. It is the model BRT - 7..

http://www.planetbike.com/rearlights.html#

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just bought one of these things off ebay, so we'll soon know how well it does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Crap! What has CPF done? I don't even own or use a bicycle, and I still bought a taillight!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very, very cool! Looks likes it's easy to install, use, and maintain. I think I'll get one of these!

Illuminated

Enlightened
Craig,

I think there are many uses for a long-running pocket-sized LED flasher besides biking. I've even used them for trail markers in areas where I wasn't worried about someone scarfing it up. I probably should buy the cheapies for that, though.

Have fun!

John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm sure I'll find *some way* to put this on my electric Rascal wheelchair/scooter thingie, though the mounting location & method may turn out to be a bit unorthodox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I probably wouldn't use it as a trail marker, regardless if somebody is likely to rip it off or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Craig,

Try a velcro or a neoprene strap, and clip the light onto that, maybe?

Rad Shak has that super-duper self-adhesive unisex (both parts are the same) plastic velcro-like stuff that could probably mount a ceiling fan - that might work also.

Actually I was referring to the time I used my blinky-light as a "hole" marker on the path between my house and my neighbor's, so I guess I really can't call it a "trail". Kept me from finding that hole the hard way, though...

John

Velcro

Enlightened
I just found out Vistalite was bought by Bell a couple of years ago, I'm going to email them.

FWIW, those Planet lights are actually made by Smart. I've got the 7 LED model too, it's very nice ( link ). I like how the entire dome lights up, instead of just 7 independent hotspots. Wish they made an AA version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Velcro,

Thanks for the links - looks interesting. How's the waterproofness on the 7-LED model? Also, I didn't see the battery type listed - what's it use?

BTW, the headlights shown on the lower right corner of the Smart "New Item" page are also sold by Planet Bike, who calls them "Alias" or something like that. I think they use MR11C lamps, and the SC model has some sort of "digital" circuit, but I haven't determined whether it's regulated or not.

Some of the other self-contained headlights on that page look kind of interesting, also...

John