'04 Chevy Silverado fogs - replacement bulb recommendations?

randy_the_hack

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

Found this resource last night... incredible! Anyway, I'm interested in brightening up the lights on my truck. I'm currently thinking about HIR's for the high/low beams - not as dicey as HID's, longer lasting (or so I've heard) than Silverstars (and no blue tint), and there's no wiring changes required. Oh... also, I can do this upgrade for about a hundred bucks for both highs and lows... I'm not interested in dumping a ton of money into this project. Found the bulbs I'm thinking about here: http://www.hirheadlights.com/

I'd be interested in thoughts regarding this plan of action. :thinking:

Anyway, the real question I have is what to do with the fogs. I burned out a fog light tonight, so it's prime time to replace 'em. I'd like to put something in as bright as possible/practical, but with something I'd hope to be able to pick up locally at a parts house. I'd thought about HIR's, but I've read that the bulbs run pretty hot - perhaps too hot for the factory fog assemblies. Again, I'm interested in doing this on a budget. A buddy recommended HID's, but I'm just not interested in spending that much.

I'd be very interested to hear any recommendations y'all might have. Many thanks in advance! :wave:

Randy

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
HIRs work well in those headlamps as long as they're aimed correctly. If you're going to buy HIRs, shop around for price, and make sure you're getting genuine Toshiba ones and not knockoffs.

That's a 9145 bulb (45w, 850 lumens) in those fog lamps. You can probably get away with installing a 9155 bulb (55w, 1050 lumens) instead, but you'll be producing significantly more glare and backscatter. HIR bulbs or 9005 bulbs would not be a wise choice (dangerous levels of glare). Most people have unrealistic expectations from their fog lamps and use them inappropriately; see here. So-called "HID kits" in halogen-bulb lamps do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yeah, the base keying is a little different, but easily adaptible. Candlepower also has them in stock. You're right about thoughtless/ill-advised bulb swaps like 9005 in place of 9006 or 9005 into fog lamps, etc.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
I have an '04 Silverado. The best high/low upgrade I found was a new wiring harness. The stock wiring harness skimps on the thickness of the wires. The voltage drop causes dimmer output. With the wiring harness upgrade, the bulbs (stock or "upgraded") will get the proper voltage. This increase in voltage (over stock) will give you added brightness.

I use a harness from Kennedy Diesel http://www.kennedydiesel.com/
I also run off road trucks and use a similar product on my Toyotas. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml