Help me choose a new knife

IcantC

Enlightened
Hey guys looking up to get a new EDC knife... Had a few questions... I was looking at purchasing one of the following, or at least 2 of them... I was looking at the Bocom Subcom, Spyderco Delica and the Benchmade Griptilian.

I need one with a serrated and I guess another with a smooth blade is ok.

Now a few Q's for you guys...
1) Serrated vs smooth, which one of those are better with a serrated/smooth edge?
2) Are all the above choices folders(I know Bocom Subcom is)?
3) Are all the above reliable and dependable?(For LE use) Or any recommendations in same price for LE backup use?

Also been reading how to sharpen them, what's easiest way to sharpen the smooth and serrated one?

Thanks!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For all practical purposes, a serrated edge is nothing more than sharpened saw-teeth. (Speaking from experience here). For cutting through ropes and seatbelts, they work better than a smooth or plain-edged knife. For everything else, a plain edge is better.

Yes, the Boker Subcom, Spyderco Delica, and Benchmade Griptilian are all folders.

I'm not an LEO, so I can't comment on how useful they would be for your line of work. I can tell you that all three are very dependable knives that can tackle any sort of job you'd expect from a folder with a lock. And yes, I own variations of all three knives. The Boker Subcom was designed by Chad Los Banos, a Corrections Officer. I can tell you one thing, Chad isn't some geek who sits at a desk; trying to design the latest tacti-cool knife for mall ninjas. The Subcom looks bigger than it is, because it is wide and flat. The handle will accomedate only two fingers. But the wide design still gives you a good grip. The current model Delica and a full-size Griptilian can accomedate all 4 fingers.

For $30, the Subcom is the least expensive out of the three. The blade steel isn't junk either. It's AUS-8. Very rust-resistant, good edge-holding characteristics, and easier to sharpen than the exotic steels out there.

Spyderco Sharpmaker or a dedicated Serrated edge sharpener works best on that type of edge. Sharpmaker works well on plain-edged knives too. But I recommend getting a diamond hone from DMT for plain-edged knives.

Valolammas

Enlightened
What Monocrom said, he knows his knives. I don't have any of the listed models, so I'll just touch upon this in a general way:
1) Serrated vs smooth, which one of those are better with a serrated/smooth edge?

If you really actually need a serrated blade, go for a fully serrated one. Combo edges are a waste of steel.

If you just want a "general purpose" knife, get a plain edge. It will do everything a serrated one does and a whole lot more. Such as making a clean, straight cut, for a start. You'll just have to keep it properly sharp (but it's a lot easier to sharpen).

EDIT: :ohgeez:Oh, I see you were going to get both a SE and a PE. That's a good plan, nevermind what I said.

Last edited:

BobG

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the two previous posts. You might want to look at the Boker subclaw which is the subcom with a recurve blade or the wharncliff style subcom. You can see pics on Boker site. For small, I also like the microtech Mouse lite (440c steel) which is also around 30 dollars. The mouse also comes in S30V steel but that is more than double the price.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Regarding sharpening...it's part science and part art, but THIS article is one of the best I've ever found. It's a pretty long read, but very much worth it.

- Chris

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the boker, but to small for law enforcement use. Have you looked at the kabar tdi knife. otherwise I would go with a spyderco delica,endura, or police model. They are thin and light and offer trainer models.

But then again knives are a personal thing try them all out and see which one feels best for you.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plain edge for EDC, if you want a serrated get a hawkbill shaped like spyderco harpy or tasman salt.