Pila IBC Charger Review

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since there are always so many questions about rechargable batteries and the appropriate chargers to charge them, I decided to post this mini review. I have asked a lot of questions myself lately which led me to this charger.

Model: PILA IBC CHARGER
Description: Pila Intelligent Li-ion Battery Charging System with 4 Stage Charging Process.
1) Automatic Analyzing Battery Status.
2) Quick Charge.
3) Slow Charge.
4) Standby mode, Trickle Charge. (EDIT:See first post below by SilverFox)
Specs: Charges both independent stations at 4.2 volts 600mah
Charging time listed at 3.5 hours -Approximate
( I would not recommend charging "any" battery rated below 600mah.)
Made In: China
By: Permalight ( Asia ) Co. LTD
Price Paid: 49.99 Plus Shipping

LET ME CLEARLY NOTE WHAT PILA STATES IN THEIR MANUAL AND DIRECTLY ON THE CHARGER, "FOR CHARGING PILA LI-ION BATTERIES ONLY".

Now having said that this charger is probably used more for 18650, R123, 14500, 17670, 17500, more than it is for Pila batteries, but, I take no responsibility on how it's used, I'm just reporting on how I have used it with great results.

Included in the (nice) Box: Battery holder ( Charging Station ) Xfmr with plug for 120V and I believe what is a Europe Plug. See Photo Below. Carry Bag, Manual, Two Spacers. I thought this was a nice package for the price.

20080205chargerpila0001cb7.jpg

The Charger has two lights for each of the two "Independent" Charging stations. A green led and a red led. Also included is a reset button for each station. More clear on the next picture.
The LEDs perform the following functions:
Green on and Red flashing: Battery Compartment Empty
Red on Green off: Battery Charging
Green on Red off: Battery Fully Charged
Green on and Red Flashing fast: Defective battery
RESET BUTTON Manual Explanation: "If batteries were used for a while but green LED's indicate battery is charged press reset to charge to 100%.
20080205chargerpila0004fr1.jpg

I charged one AW 14500 (750mah)and one Ultrafire 14500 (900mah) to start. The Ultrafire had a voltage of 3.65 to start and the AW was just received and had a starting voltage of 3.91. I wish I would have timed them but hindsight being what it is. The Ultrafire came off at 4.17 volts. The AW which was complete in around 30 minutes came off at 4.07. I placed it back in the charger and hit the reset button. 15 minutes later when the light turned green, it also came off at 4.17 volts. I can see the reset button is going to be a nice feature.
I charged another AW and Ultrafire and both of these came off the charger at 4.17v after the light turned green.
20080205chargerpila0003fd1.jpg

It is nice that the Pila Charger already came with spacers ( removed spacer at the bottom of the charger in above photo) These spacers worked perfect for charging 14500 batteries. I had also purchased a set of Aluminum ones but didn't need them. They would come in handy for charging R123's. I believe the two spacers together would be just about the right size. The spacers that come with the charger screw in and out easily.

Conclusion: I really like this charger. Considering my Ultrafire 139 quit working after two charges. This charger is definitely a step or two up from the 139 charger. I'm not sure why Pila is so insistant that you only charge their 300P, 300S, 600P, 600S batteries with this charger. It is obvious is does a really nice job on any 3.7V Li-ion battery with a true capacity larger than 600mah. Maybe others with more experience than me could shed some light on this.

Bill

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I also purchased this charger as part of a Pila package with a Gl2 light almost a year ago.

One thing is for sure is that it is very well made and even looks high quality. I tend to believe that there are some things worth paying a little more for and I think the Pila charger delivers. There is no "cheap" look or feel to it as compared to some things that are low priced and built with the low cost in mind. I am glad I paid a little extra for something I tend to keep and use for many years.

PS: I have only charged 1 Pila battery in this light and most of them are not Pila.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Like I said in the review the first charger I purchased went bad after only two uses. I just don't see that happening with this charger. It does have a better quality feel to it.

Just out of curiosity what batteries are you charging and at what voltage do they come off. ( if you know )

Thanks

Bill

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these from Flashlightz for $36.65 plus shipping. Should arrive any day now. Thanks for the review and nice job neighbor. It looks like a well made charger and at this price, it's hard to beat. It should serve me well.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Ultrafire 18650 unprotected cells, a 17650 Ultrafire unprotected cell (that I run in my Fenix P3D), AW 14500 protected cells, some generic RCR123 unprotected cells (that do not get use now and will probably go by by), and of course the Pila 18650 protected cell. I think they typically charge to 4.1 - 4.2 but I have not paid a whole lot of attention. I will look the next charge time.

I prefer to use name brand protected cells. I never leave the charger unattended when charging any cells though. I would like to limit the different types of batteries also.

In regards to the Pila statement: I remember reading somewhere about Pila changing their batteries and the protection circuit when they also switched to the new charger. There was something about how the charger handled reseting the protection circuit on their batteries once it was tripped. So maybe this has something to do with the recommendation.

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
adamlau, I will keep an eye out for the quirks you list in your referenced post. When you say it resets, what do you mean. Does it stop the other battery from charging?

Regulator, It is interesting that Pila recommends you remove the batteries and unplug the charger once charging is complete. I just bought a 4 station eneloop charger and 12 eneloops. They state you can leave the battery charger plugged in and the batteries in the charger. I realize it is two different technologies, Li-ion vs Nimh, but I guess not even the manufacturers feel comfortable with Li-ion batteries yet. It is interesting that the Pila is listed as a trickle charger. I usually associate a trickle charger with a charger you leave plugged in and the batteries installed all the time to keep them fresh until you need them. I don't know how you would use this charger as a trickle charger if you remove the batteries once their fully charged? I'm still learning but there seems to be some discrepancies to say the least. It is no wonder noob's (including myself) get so overwhelmed at first.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

Pila needs to come out of the dark ages with their terminology.

They incorrectly refer to the CV stage of the CC/CV Li-Ion charging algorithm as a "trickle" charge. Li-Ion cells can not tolerate a trickle charge without damaging the cell.

Someday, their marketing department may talk to the engineering department and get it right...

By the way, if you leave your Eneloop cells to trickle charge for an extended period of time, you will ruin them.

Tom

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Bill,

Pila needs to come out of the dark ages with their terminology.

They incorrectly refer to the CV stage of the CC/CV Li-Ion charging algorithm as a "trickle" charge. Li-Ion cells can not tolerate a trickle charge without damaging the cell.

Someday, their marketing department may talk to the engineering department and get it right...

By the way, if you leave your Eneloop cells to trickle charge for an extended period of time, you will ruin them.

Tom

It is nice to know that we have knowledgable (and precious) resources here like you Tom. I can only imagine the testing/reading/studying you've done over the years. Sorry, didn't mean to get mushy on you.
I'm learning that's for sure; and I'll admit it, I always have fun in the process of learning anything, especially techno stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the eneloop. I didn't plan to leave them in the charger at all, but you never know I may have. Good Tip!

Just my own belief. I don't believe on leaving any battery charger unattended. I had a good friend burn half his house down on a unattended hand tool battery charger.

Thanks Tom,

Bill

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Unfortunately I don't speak french so I can't understand everything.
There is not so much to understand: Accueil opens the Shop, then you select "chargers" and voila! Payment is via PP. Should be no problem. Shipping is ~8 Euro.

d1dd1

Enlightened
I can't see any prices on their homepage :thinking:

Hopefully they will ship to Germany

grinsekatz

Newly Enlightened
I can't see any prices on their homepage :thinking:

Hopefully they will ship to Germany

As CandleFranky already wrote "Accueil opens the Shop" then you see the prices.
I would like to understand what they wrote under "conditions".
Some products have quite interesting prices.

Alex

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can some one give me a conversion table here for the Pila batteries?
300s = 123; 300P = ?; 600S = 18650??; 600P = ??. I'd like to take advantage of "free" shipping but need to come up to the $100 for that offer and would consider some Pila batteries to make the difference-----or should I get two chargers and auto adaptors???? Decisions, decisions!!

Finally, will this charger charge 10180 Lion cells (90ma) although the literature states nothing that small? Anyone have an idea on this?
Karl

Last edited: