Flashlight Recommendations

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Fenix makes a pretty good light and is a good choice for your first one. The Fenix store offers free shipping and David, who is a member here, offers great customer service. He and his store are highly recommended here. The best thing for long battery life as well better performance is to pick up some low self discharge NiMH rechargeables like Eneloops or Duracell low self discharge (alkalines are only OK in a pinch). The good thing about multi-mode lights is you can extend your battery life by selecting the appropriate light level for the task at hand. Good luck.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L1D-CE Q5 is a good product. It is also compatible with the L2D and P2D body so you can have a 2AA or 1 CR123 light. I'd suggest buying from Fenix Store because of their good service and they also have an 8% off coupon, "CPF8".

How much are you looking to spend? Because there might be lower priced lights that fit your needs(like the Jetbeam CL-E), or a higher priced light that might work better.

:welcome:

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow. this is the first "help me" thread I've seen where the OP suggests a really good light to start (that includes my threads) :) The L1D Q5 is definitely in the top 3 unmodded AAs prefered on this forum, and some like it best.

For $30 more you can get the Nitecore Defender Infinity. It is not necessarily better, just different. It has two adjustable modes and a well-hidden strobe feature. It is better as a tactical light because 1) body is kurled, providing better grip, and 2) it has a forward clicky tail switch (it has momentary-on in any mode). It certainly looks more solid than the Fenix, but actual reliability and quality is about on par with Fenix.

Also at $80 you can get a JETBeam JET-I PRO. I don't recomment this light, based on all the reviews I have read. It has amazingly inefficient medium and low modes, is a bit larger, and overall seems to be a bit quirky. The reason I mention it is that it is currently the brightest 1xAA light out, with barely more overall light, but around twice the throw, of its competition. It is said to be build very nicely, with some fancy touches (gold-plated spring, saphire crystal lens).

The NDI and Fenix seem about evenly balanced, so you should try to read some more about both before deciding between the two. If you buy the Fenix, Fenix Store is a great place to buy it, especially with the CPF discount. There are detailed reviews of the JETBeam and NDI here: http://www.lightreviews.info/reviews.html

Just an end note: there is also a flashlight called the Olight T15 Q5. It is very similar to the Fenix, but puts out a tiny bit less light for a slighter shorter amount of time in all modes. But some says its build quality is worth the difference.

Last edited:

Tabro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info everyone. After reviewing several comparisons, I went ahead and bought the L1D Q5 from fenix-store.com. Can't wait for it to get here!

Any ideas on average shipping times with fenix-store?

BigD64

Enlightened
You said you need the light for work. What type of work? CPF members, while you will get numerous different suggestions, will tailor their advice to your needs. A light needed for law enforcement will be very different the a light needed for computer repair. By giving more information you will be able to narrow your choices. But congrats on the L1D. you'll love it.