A new Novatac vs. the Arc LS... Any info on these?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I have a question about any info on these lights. Obviously Novatac's information (that I'm aware of) hasn't been released concerning a new light - maybe a 180... but, the Arc LS I know nothing about...

So...

Can someone explain what the Arc LS is going to be, and has anyone heard about Novatac's next offering? I'm holding off because I was going to get a Novatac 120P, but I'm enjoying my Fenix P2D Rebel 100 too much to "upgrade."

What's the latest news and did the Shot Show bring anything good along those lines?

From what I've seen, Surefire actually might be putting out something that's up my alley.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new LS is being discussed in the ARC forum, Peter has been giving updates there....to say that it is being discussed at length is an understatement :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Arc LS which really should be called the Arc PD doesn't use a Luxeon star (LS) and looks like a mini version of Don's PD.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
FWIW, I EDC the NovaTac and use it quite a bit at work, and at home, and while walking the dogs a.m. & p.m. The 120 setting rarely gets used, except for the occasional speedy driver that appears not to see me ... 120 lumens pointed directly at most any distracted driver will get their attention.

For bragging rights, 180 would be O.K. And if the 180 has longer run times at all the lower settings, that would be the reason I'd buy one (to go along with my two 120Ps).

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
For bragging rights, 180 would be O.K. And if the 180 has longer run times at all the lower settings, that would be the reason I'd buy one (to go along with my two 120Ps).

This is what I'm hoping for. Better run-times (regulation), maybe more features (accessories) and higher lumens.

Also, when people say that it is possible to make the Novatac perform how you want it to, is it then possible to mimic how my Fenix P2D Rebel 100 performs... or operates?

If I want momentary here, and constant on with half-click step-ups when I click it on, is that possible?

Thanks... and can someone give me a run-down real fast of the Arc LS? Will it be competitor to the Novatac?

-RC

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Momentary, yes.

Click on, yes.

Program it to come on at any of the levels you want, set 2nd level, set MAX level, set MIN level. Pretty easy:D

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Do not know anything about the Arc, i have a 120P and love it, I know there is someone who moded a 120 P to a 180P and it is supposed to have longer run times to boot!

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Do not know anything about the Arc, i have a 120P and love it, I know there is someone who moded a 120 P to a 180P and it is supposed to have longer run times to boot!

iTorch,

This isn't mean to sound snobby... but, who is that "someone?"

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Agreed. The SSC is an efficient emitter to begin with and uses a Cree board. So what's the details on it.

And - generally, going from 120 to 180 isn't a huge increase - would it be even noticeable?

-Steve

iTorch,

This isn't mean to sound snobby... but, who is that "someone?"

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
RE: ARC LS

There is, as previously mentioned, an overly extensive discussion of the ARC LS in the ARC portion of the forums. However, for a quick rundown (specs pulled from memory):

About 3" long, about 1" diameter
CR123 powered
Unknown LED / Unknown max lumens
A piston in place a traditional clicky (like the McGizmo PD): a kind of momentary switch: push gently, stage 1, push harder, stage 2, from off push hard and quick: stage 3. Release the piston, the light turns off.
Twisty bezel for latched on (stage 1, 2 or 3)
Each of the stages can be assigned one of several available brightness levels

Due sometime this year.
Price unknown at this time.

But, for really good details, see the Arc LS thread in the ARC forum.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ customisable emitters, i remember reading that they are unpotted because Peter knows that we love tinkering with out lights, and that it would be unrealistic to assume EVERYONE would buy upgardes directly from ARC..

Crenshaw