New Alu Proto >Orb

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave: Guys. I am working on a new RCR2 / CR2 Aluminum light whose internal components are identical to the Alu Raw. I wanted to add more shape to the Raw which you can see I have done below.
The proto is 10mm to long & the drawings submitted to the CNC shop reflect this. So a production model will be 10mm shorter than what you see here.
Total length will be the same as the last Alu Raw we sold 57mm long. Diameter is a little bigger @ 22mm (The Widest point) Going down to 19mm towards the front.
There will be the option of H3 Locators in the doughnut end of the light with lanyard attachment also.
There will be a milled logo & I may add some detail to the body yet.
It is a twisty two stage (15 Low 160 High) Cree XR-E Min Q5.
There are double O rings on the battery holder & a O ring Lens end.
The metal work for this new design is more expensive than the last Alu Raw which I did plan on superseding with this new light? Its looking like I should be able to retail the new design @ £45 (Not Firm Yet) with Nano charger & PRCR2. Locators would be the usual £6 each.
To sum up it could be the new Alu Raw? Or maybe the Alu Raw will live on?
There will be a 100 of Raw NS/Ti style made from Alu in March, These will have the milled Logo Raw Al, & will be the Lightest Raw Series made to date.
Photos below of the new Proto light.
100_4560.jpg

100_4563.jpg

100_4569.jpg

100_4570.jpg

Image above shows the actual length compared to a Wee Ti.

100_4571.jpg

Feedback is appreciated as always :thanks:

Last edited:

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Alu Proto

Ah HA! THAT'S why my Wee hasn't shipped yet (just kidding Rob).
I really like this design, very much. I'll have to start selling some stuff and beefing up my PayPal account now...

greenLED

Flashaholic

Yeah, sleek-looking!

Could some "lines" be milled into the tailcap to aid in operation? Maybe similar lines along the body?

Keychain hole?

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

Smoooooth! Any room in there for a simple reg?

- Chris

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, sleek-looking!

Could some "lines" be milled into the tailcap to aid in operation? Maybe similar lines along the body?

Keychain hole?

There is something very appealing about that ring shaped twisty. Like the Lord of the Rings ring. I can just see it engraved with script around the outer diameter.

That is a very small light. Is it larger than the raw?

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only saw the first picture while I was reading the lines and thought it wouldn´t be my cup of tea since I really like the straight design of all the other RAW lights..... But then I scrolled down and saw picture #2 and #3 and I have to say the switch really makes a difference! With a milled logo, tritium slot and maybe some detail additions to the body this will be one good looking bugger!

Can´t wait to put my order in for the RAW Al!

Eric

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dig it. Like the new tailcap, and body design. Could it be possible to fit an aftermarket .55" board in there??

pauly

Newly Enlightened

Nice one Buddy! looks like the Orb turned inside out, hope you caught the bunnys mate!

iconoclast

Enlightened

Looks like it could be the perfect sidekick to the Al Orb. It'll be interesting to see a pic of the two together, and see how closely the concave curvature of the orb meets up with the convex curves of this.
I like the tail ring. It could make for some interesting holster options too.
Can't wait to see as the details are fleshed out.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was going to start a "what's new Rob" thread soon, now you beat me to it.

Great looking light. Really stands out from the crowd/usual suspects, which is why your lights are so popular.

As above, it would be nice to have a pic with the new next to a current Raw Al to compare like for like.

So Rob anything else up your sleeves for 2008??:poke:

dulridge

Enlightened

Me want, me want!

When and where can I buy one?

Credit card and Paypal ready. Don't want/need another Nano, or any more RCR2s so whatever it costs, let me send you some money. Sell me some sort of belt pouch with it while you are at it to make me completely happy.

X Racer

Enlightened

I started a thread about these recently and was eagerly awaiting them. I'm not feeling the new design though. I was hoping for something more like the NS design... This design looks slippery to me, and the reflector is smaller than it should be in a light with this width...

I am however very interetsed in the NS/Ti style ones you mentioned. Will those be slightly larger and use the CR2 format or will they be 14250 based like the NS ?

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice indeed, Rob.

Count me in whenever.

I had been wondering what happened to all your curves since the ORB and not to mention the Fliklite.

Will this be water resistant like your other curvy lights? I presume the neck is where you attach the lanyard.

May it happen before the year's out. :party:

Be lucky...

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thanks: for the encouraging feedback. You guys have reminded me we all have certain style. I like the words that have been used here:
Very different from the norm.
sleek looking light!
good looking bugger! :crackup:
convex curves
Really stands out
Me want, me want!
unique

Do not worry I will keep a level head with any praise. It is all inspiring. :thanks:

To answer a few questions.
greenLED
Keychain hole?

There will be the option of H3 Locators in the doughnut end of the light with lanyard attachment also.
There will be a milled logo & I may add some detail to the body yet.

Gimpy00Wang Smoooooth! Any room in there for a simple reg?

There should be room. I will be keeping Two Stage.

Data There is something very appealing about that ring shaped twisty. Like the Lord of the Rings ring. I can just see it engraved with script around the outer diameter. :thanks: :thumbsup:

That is a very small light. Is it larger than the raw?

The Production model will be the same length as the raw. I will put up some more comparison shots later.

Cuso I dig it. Like the new tailcap, and body design. Could it be possible to fit an aftermarket .55" board in there??

Probably. The Twisty is very sturdy & smooth.

Pauly Nice one Buddy! looks like the Orb turned inside out, hope you caught the bunnys mate!

Yes :thanks: Bud. Buns all safe Ta!

iconoclast. More photos to follow. :thanks:

Essexman So Rob anything else up your sleeves for 2008??
Yes I hope to bring many new & current ideas to production this year.

dulridge When and where can I buy one?
Lummi Around Late March early April :thumbsup:

X Racer: Understood, The Raw series are all about keeping the size down to the minimal. This new light flaunts added style.

Russianesq unique:
Best sum up of what I attempt to do. :thanks:

Nyctophiliac
I had been wondering what happened to all your curves since the ORB and not to mention the Fliklite.

Mee Too :thinking:

Will this be water resistant like your other curvy lights? I presume the neck is where you attach the lanyard.

Yes water resistant & the lanyard attachment will be a hole in the doughnut along with the locators. Think Wee.

BIG :thanks: again for a nice start, Some more comparison photos to follow.

EKU

Newly Enlightened

The light looks surprisingly different than expected - that's really good. :twothumbs

Can't wait to see more photos!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the look of it and may well get one but I'd rather have the same sort of design change to an NS.

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Rob: I like the new design- different but attractive. I believe it will actually look even better with some markings on it.

One question: will it still be possible to order one with a "high" output level that allows for at least an hour runtime? E.g., 80 or 100 lms.? I would be interested in at least one purchase, and probably more in the future, if that is possible. Thanks for addressing my question!

Latest posts