Novatac emitter upgrade time !

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
I asked the question way back whether an emitter upgrade was viable for the Novatac... The general answer from most sources was 'no' but has this changed yet?

I would be happy with a 10% to 20% increase in output but as my current Novatac has a pink :ohgeez:tint then even less is fine by me.

And maybe the best source for it as well? ;)

Thanks everyone...

manoloco

Enlightened
look for whc posts about swapping for another ssc p4, uswoh seems to make sense since it looks like you want as neutral a white as possible, contact photonfanatic, he has a thread on the dealers corner, with a lot of emitters, specially luxeons and ssc p4´s.

according to whc he gained a noticeable amount in output, he also offered service to do this, although he doesnt anymore.

also you can contact milky if you dont want to do it yourself, i have seen him do a 2xRebel 100 mod on an HDS U60 and TIR optic novatac.

if you want a more noticeable difference without modding the light too much then you should maybe wait for "V" bin seouls.

i am very interested in your results, my light flickers in the lowest levels, if yours does too, can you let us know if the emitter swap improved this condition?, there are reasons to think it could improve it but not definitely fix it.

thanks!

Novatacs seem easy to swap emitters for, the heatsink is anodized which isolates, and the p4 for another p4 is a sure fit. get some arctic silver 5 to improve thermal transfer too.

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
I've thought about having Milky upgrade my emitter and swap my reflector to a smoothie...but i think i'm gonna wait a few months and see what new emitters come out.

gostanova

Newly Enlightened
When I got mine back from whc it was putting out 157 lumens out the front!!
per integrating sphere!
Be aware that any such mods will VOID your warranty!

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
will keep you all updated on my progress about the flickering... Mine did flicker a few times but I cannot get it to do it anymore... I guess you have tried all the usual fixes? :eek:

a uswoh it is for me then... :thumbsup:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be happy with a 10% to 20% increase in output but as my current Novatac has a pink tint...
Note a 10% to 20% increase would not be easily visible. Each step increase in the Novatac/HDS output is about 40% greater, yet it's visually only slightly brighter. This is due to the human eye's logarithmic sensitivity.

A 20% increase would be 1/2 of that, and 10% would be 1/4 of that.

If you want a different tint, then changing emitters might help.

Milkyspit modified my HDS U60 with an SSC P4 emitter, it works fine and outputs about 120 lumens now. Don't know if he or others can modify the Novatac.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Note a 10% to 20% increase would not be easily visible. Each step increase in the Novatac/HDS output is about 40% greater, yet it's visually only slightly brighter. This is due to the human eye's logarithmic sensitivity.

To be honest, I needed a reason to justify getting a better tint... an increase in output is just a bonus. :thumbsup:

WHC - PM sent

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My settings are 10,60,120 (and .12). 10 gets used a bunch, 60 some, 120 now & then. I'd want 200 or more for the next step up, and the newest SSC P7 should provide that when NovaTac brings the 'next' model out.