Anyone else have an Asus EEE PC laptop? *PICS*

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if any one else has the Asus EEE PC mini laptop. Here are a few pics of mine.

IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
How are you liking it? I've toyed with the idea of getting one but my main concern is the screen resolution is too low for lots of web sites these days. If I'm going to make that sacrifice just to have a small device, I might as well get something REALLY small, like a Nokia N810. I've also considered getting an OLPC though those are clunkier. I have an old Thinkpad x40 which is about 3 pounds (EEE is 2 pounds) and it has a 12 inch XGA screen and full sized keyboard and a 60gb hard drive, so it's much more powerful and not that much less portable. The EEE still has its attractions.

I hope you didn't get the 2gb Surf model. The other models are apparently much easier to upgrade.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like it and I am having a hard time keeping it away from the wife. I use it quite often and I have taken a liking to Linux. It seems like todays laptops are getting bigger and bigger and this thing is perfect for just sitting on the couch sufring the net.

The screen is small but it is suprisinginly easy to read and renders most webpages quite well including all video formats. Mine is the 4G surf and the memory does come out if I wanted to upgrade to 1GB. For what I do 512 is pleanty.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about getting one, but the price has gone up from projected. For $100 more I can get an actual laptop that's much more powerful, so I'm holding off now.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im on vacations right now and typing this on a asus eee, I upgraded the ram to 2gb and installed XP, Im using it at 800x600 (panning) and can't be happier. Also bought a 16gb sdhc card for extra storage. IMO the only drawback is the small keyboard, otherwise its a great subnotebook at a great price.

Pablo

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my black Asus EEE 4G as well this past week. Absolutely loving it. I honestly can't be happier. As PEU said, its a small keyboard. Much smaller than what I was expecting. However I have already gotten better at typing without looking at the keyboard since I got it.

I plan to get rid of the stock OS and install the special form of Xunbuntu, eeeXubuntu, this week. Stock OS isn't as bad as I was expecting. From the images, it just looked too kiddy to me. But turned out it was all that bad. If you kick it over to the "advanced" desktop mode, you get a very XP feel to it.

The size of this thing just amazes me. And so useful. I would never have the use of a full size laptop. I have my desktop that I can't live without and do most everything on it. I just wanted a simple, VERY portable laptop and this certainly fits the bill.
-C

labrat

Enlightened
Im on vacations right now and typing this on a asus eee, I upgraded the ram to 2gb and installed XP, Im using it at 800x600 (panning) and can't be happier. Also bought a 16gb sdhc card for extra storage. IMO the only drawback is the small keyboard, otherwise its a great subnotebook at a great price.

Pablo

This is a PC for portable use, works like a charm!
Have the same configuration, and the keyboard is just perfect for my fingers, even if I have fairly large hands!
It is not so small though, when compared to another really portable computer, the OQO:

Last edited:

bpool21

Newly Enlightened
I've thought about getting one from time to time just to play with but I already have a Fujitsu p1120 which is pretty close to the same thing just 4 or 5 years older... I dont think I could stand downgrading the screen size to a 800x480 7", I have the same size with my carputer using the double din area and it is a PITA to use with windows if I need to access file system or change a ini file but I also dont have a stylus - I built it for my wife to use as a music keg and GPS mainly... funny how a few years later this stuff is available at walmart.​

The p1120 is a slow beast when using unmolested XP Pro but still small and touchscreen using the crusoe processor like the OQO but at only 800mhz. I'm sure if I ran linux, it would be considerably faster.
I was looking around for something to use on the road for viewing my CAD drawing pictures of the facilities I service without having to reduce quality and waste ink with printing. I use to use my Dell X300 for this purpose because of its size and portability, I could actually stick it inside my plastic clipboard with all my documents but its rather hard to use while inside the van and the thin LCD cover plastics worry me.​

I am too worried about breaking the screen on the OQO to get one, I have a Pocket PC and have already replaced the screen once in the past two years, but really want one :D I'm not positive on the options of the 02 model but that is the 01 right?​

Do you feel that you can justify the price of the Asus considering its basically a prototype test device? Does it feel pretty stable and stay fairly cool under load?​

P1120 vs Asus EEE
2041970677_904b861eff.jpg

ecache79

Newly Enlightened
funny you should ask! got up this morning and my grown up kids had taken over all the available pcs so i grabbed my trusty eeepc and am typing this as i relax in my recliner in the living room. :) i got mine mostly for travel, we camp a lot. I got tired of always calling home to have someone check the weather or find directions to the best barbecue joint. the keyboard is small but i love it. a friend saw mine and immediately went out to buy one for himself for the same reasons. for the price these are hard to beat. i have the 4g surf model and it does just fine.

ken

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
I bought one a few months back and I ended up selling it.

I was attracted to the form factor, and it turned out to be wonderful in that regard, I loved the tiny power adapter. I could just throw it in my bag and take it anywhere, great for college. the screen was better than I expected too
I uninstalled the original xandros OS and tried Lepord which ran way too slow, windows xp used too much resources, and I settled on ubuntu.
went everywhere with me, lots of functionality in a tiny form factor, who would have thought something that tiny could have all the necessary I/O ports when most ultraportable laptops costing $200+ cant fit them

sold it because the screen was just too small for my liking, while I could browse the web in a pinch it wasn't comfortable to do so. writing more than a page was torturous
The other reasons I decided I didnt like it were that I couldn't load much media on it causing me to shuffle through flashdrive when I wanted to watch a movie in between classes.
while I enjoyed how it weighed very little in my bag it felt very cheap to me, I was constantly worried that the plastic case would break in my bag with my books. seems like at least the bit around the screen could be metal
the biggest turnoff for me was the keyboard, I couldnt get anything done on it as I was always hitting too many keys. I wasnt a big fan of the throw on the keys, it wasnt satisfying to type on. (I have to admit my bias against all laptop keyboards here though so take this one with some salt)

overall if I wasnt a student and needed a laptop for casual use: checking CPF on the couch, looking up recipes in the kitchen, a traveling aid, portable movie viewing (with the use of USB flash sticks), or other "around the home" uses, I would grab one of these in an instant.

as a student it has less value

Latest posts