Electric lawnmower question

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I want a gas mower but the wife insists on either a rechargeable or corded electric model.

I've looked at the rechargeable model from Neuron and also the Black & Decker Lawn Hog. Neuron only lasts 45 min to 1 hour and it's heavy. I have no idea what it costs to replace the battery.

The B&D requires a cord and you always run the risk of running over it. They also make a rechargeable model but I don't know much about it.

I hate reading the self-serving testimonials on the respective sites and so I turn to my fellow CPF members to give me the honest scoop. Or are there other non-ICE mowers to consider? If it matters, I have 2500 sq ft of lawn.

Darell

Flashaholic
Jeff -

B00006RSIJ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Look no further than the B&D CMM1000. Rechargeable 24V. It'll have enough battery to do your lawn a couple times per charge (but you just leave it plugged in after you use it anyway, so it is always full). No cord, no gas, no oil changes, no air filters. It isn't silent, but I can talk on the phone while I mow. I love mine, and wouldn't think of going back. I'd rather have a push mower, but none of them would cut the grass high enough for my needs.

Brock

Flashaholic
I swear... Ok our little gasser push mower died so I was looking at electric ones. I was leaning towards the B&D 675, but also considering the B&D 175, both are on Ebay. So Darell I can't seem to find details on these units or even the 1000 for that matter. I know the 1000 is 24v, but I was wondering about the 675? It would be really cool if it were 12v since my battery bank is 1200amps at 12v. I could probably rig up a charger though since my array is 24v with a "Solar Boost 50" to charge and regulate it back to 12v.

I should add I use this small one to "edge" with, and a riding to do the majority. Our yard is about 150x200, I don't know what that is in acres?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Are any of these self-propelled? We were looking at Toro's last summer but mostly just window shopping as my dad was unemployed at the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Been working since January, all is well again) our lawn has a nasty curve though that's a royal PITA to do with a non-self propelled. There's also a sink hole that's all but impossible to groom anywhere near acceptable with a non-propelled walk behind.

The Toro's we're looking at are OHV models at least. Looked at Honda's but while they make some nice mowers I've read lots of negative things about the current models.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I had an electric lawnmower about two years ago. I forgot the model, but it was a Black and Decker. It really couldn't handle my lawn, and I only have about 2250 sq. ft. of grass. I went to an OHV Low Emissions gas mower and its much better. I can only imagine if my electric mower couldn't cut it, what a battery powered one would do...

Empath

Flashaholic
We use a Black and Decker electric. As long as you cut it before it gets a little high, it can manage it fine. Here in Oregon you might have several days of rain (the grass keeps growing in the winter here). By the time the rains stop, your grass is beyond the capability to cut it without going very slowly.

When we bought it, a problem developed requiring repair. No one other than Black and Decker service centers will touch it. There's no service center in the area, but fortunately the dealer we bought from exchanged it. So far, there's been no mechanical problems with the replacement.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an OOOOOLD electric mower, called a Wizard, Green body, white motor housing. It runs so quite that all you hear is the grass being cut. It still runs very well.

I have often wondered if a solar panel could be placed on top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Probably wouldn't work very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Guys. GUYS! CMM1000. Accept no substitute. This thing has more power than the (modern) 5.5hp gas unit that it replaced. Nothing slows it down. Though you aren't supposed to, I often find myself cutting grass that is not only too frigging long, but also wet. NO PROBLEM. It mulches like you wouldn't believe, and I hardly ever use the grass catcher that comes with it. Nobody has ever made a battery mower this good before. Certainly not B&D. I've seen the lower-end B&D's and there is simply no comparison. This is one case where you get what you pay for.

Oh, and as for deals: I haven't found any either. The fun part is that once a year, our air resources district does a trade-in. You provide them with a running gas mower, and they give you a CMM1000 for 50% of retail. I couldn't pass it up, even though my gasser was only about five years old. I was sick of the oil changes and shlepping gas. And when I realized that my mower was polluting more than my (gas) car - that was the last straw.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff said:
I want a gas mower but the wife insists on either a rechargeable or corded electric model.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I meant to say "kudos to your wife!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do yourself a favor and stay away from corded, and stay away from the cheaper battery electrics. Life is too short to have a crappy mower.

Empath

Flashaholic
I think the sod web worms pretty well took care of my lawn for this year. Until I got to wondering where my grass was going I didn't even know what they were. But I should be proud. I'm told they only go after the best of lawns.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I found a deal on the king o' the hill - CMM1000.

Amazon is selling it at 41% off MSRP plus free shipping. Before you start with a Pavlovian response, it retails for over $700!

It looks like the mac daddy of mowers!

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff said:
Amazon is selling it at 41% off MSRP plus free shipping. Before you start with a Pavlovian response, it retails for over $700!

[/ QUOTE ]
These sell for about $435 everywhere (mine is actually from Home Depot, where I got 50% off that price with my gas mower trade-in). I searched for a year and never found a deal on 'em. Also never found a better mower...

It IS the Mac, Daddy.

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
Life is too short to have a crappy mower

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the Toro window shopping to replace a K-Mart mower :barf:

K-Mart mower replaced an old nice mower that had just died, but aparently we were broke at the time...I don't remember, it was too long ago.

I don't think that we'll have to mow this summer, all the drought in Utah may lead to manditory dead lawns :-(

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
For all you So. Cal residents with a gas powered mower, the AQMD (Air Quality Management District (yet another California agency)) has a trade-in program for a new mower. I assume it's a B&D CMM1000 because they're talking about a B&D 24 volt cordless mower. You turn in a gas mower, give them $150... voila a new cordless mower.

AQMD mower

P.S. Sorry Darell, but you also have to show proof of residency.

Darell

Flashaholic
Heck, don't feel bad for me - I got pretty much the same deal from my air quality district. And yes, I had to show residency too, of course. Great tip - I hope some can take advantage. Anybody in CA should look into this program as many air districts now offer something similar.

Here is the telling part from your link:
[ QUOTE ]
Modeled after highly successful programs in Sacramento, San Diego and the Bay Area, AQMD will offer consumers the opportunity to purchase a $449 Black & Decker 24-volt,

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in the Sacramento air district... and the mower is for SURE the CMM1000.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, and you guys are supposed to be gadget junkies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Husqvarna automatic mower is the only way to go!!!

NiMH batteries. Heads back to charging station when it needs to. Mows in a random pattern so your lawn doesn't develop lines. etc. etc etc.

9803-019_190x300.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
The Husqvarna Auto Mower is a battery-powered, computer-controlled lawn mower that automatically mows the lawn by itself. A perimeter wire which defines the Auto Mower's mowing area, is buried or stapled to the ground. It is truly the ultimate in reliability and convenience and keeps your lawn looking manicured every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem that strikes me about it is that the larger wheels are in the back pushing the mower (I think they are, anyway). That makes me wonder whether the smaller front ones would get caught in the bumpies of the lawn. Or maybe those willing to shell out for this (I actually have no idea how much it cost) don't have lawns that are bumpy like mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Link works great Peter. $1500 without shipping or installation. Makes the B&D look CHEAP! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pretty cool, but it would be a PITA on my crazy lawn I'm afraid.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 12V Black and Decker mower a couple of years ago for my mother's small lawn based on a good review in Consumer Reports magazine. I don't think the 24V was available at that time. I used it once and it seemed to work great. She is very happy with it. The 24V version is probably even better. I have seen the 12V version available still for less money than the 24V, so if your budget is a concern that may be an option also.

Saaby

Flashaholic
So just to make sure...there is no such thing as a self propelled electric right?