How much does the Raw Ti weigh?

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
Just out of interest can anyone tell me how much the Raw Ti weighs?

I'm into ultralight backpacking and was wondering whether I'll ever be able to justify getting a Raw Ti for backpacking use. I have a Raw Ns but that is a bit heavy at nearly 50g. Is the Raw Ti significantly lighter?

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
...yes I know that it is sacrilege to consider using such a nice light for such things!
I think I'm just looking for more ways of justifying to myself that I legitimately need a Raw Ti.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...yes I know that it is sacrilege to consider using such a nice light for such things!

It is not sacriledge at all - this flashlight is not a shelf queen, it is designed to be used, especially since it is rechargable. Also, it is about as reliable as flashlights can get, great for when your life depends on it.

Now to weight. I have the Raw Ti, but not the means to measure it. However, the Raw NS weighs 40 grams, the Wee NS weighs 20 grams and the Wee Ti weighs 12 grams.

If I take that information into account, the Raw Ti weighs approximately 24 grams.

Definitely worth saving 16 grams of weight! Just think of your poor back! :caution:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachylyte, Rob is going to do a run of aluminium Raw Al flashlights in march. Not to be confused with the Orb Raw, which also aluminium. The Raw Al has the same shape, size and functionality of the Raw TI/NS, but is billed to be the lightest weight yet. I estimate it will weight less than 20 grams. If you have time to wait, this may be a good choice. Should be less money than the Ti too.

Leamington Spa eh? It's a small world. I'm currently writing this from Southam.

Mike

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
Southam eh.. the beam from my Raw Ns could probably reach you from here!

I considered the original Raw for backpacking but understood that it lacked the o-rings of the Raw Ns series so wouldn't be sufficiently water resistant.

Now, if Rob made sure the new alu Raw was watertight then I'd definitely buy one if there was a significant weight saving over the Raw Ns. For backpacking I ended up buying a Fenix L0D which is about 28g I think including a lithium AAA cell. I like the L0D very much but it started to flicker disconcertingly last time was using it halfway up a mountain in Wales and haven't yet found out the cause (seems fine now, but I have lost some confidence in it). I like the simplicity of the 2-stage twisty on the Raw Ns/Raw – none of this mucking around with 6 different modes.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new Raw Al will have O-rings at the glass, and at the threads, just like the Raw NS/Ti, so it will be 'dunkable'. It should be ideal for what you want from it.

So the choice is, Al or Ti???

As for the L0D-CE, it is a very useful flashlight, but not a 'bet-your-life' light. That's why I bought my girlfriend a Wee NS 80 to supplement the Fenix on her keyring.

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Mike, but I'm confused now! Are we talking about the convex/slightly bulbous new Raw Alu prototype Rob recently announced or is there going to be an aluminium (sorry, aluminum for the non-UK people) version of the Raw Ns? i.e. precisely same design but as the Raw Ns but made of aluminium? This would be lighter than the Raw Ti – I don't mind a few scratches if the weight is kept low.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is going to be both. There is that Orb Raw that we already have, which is aluminium, there is a curvy prototype that Rob is proposing in his thread and then there is a limited run of 100 Raw Al flashlights, which are identical to the Raw NS, albeit in aluminium.

X Racer

Enlightened
Yep, I think snagging one of those Raw AL lights will be the perfect answer for you. Cheaper than the Ti, and the same size as the Ti/Ns which will be super light weight. I think Rob said it will be the lightest Raw to date...

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachylyte,

Rob cannot yet say exactly when the Raw Al flashlights will be available, so 'sometime in March' is still the best estimate.

I do however have an indication of the price. Rob estimates £50 to £55, so about the same as a Raw NS.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Chief Marketing Officer Mike :thumbsup:
:crackup:

To confirm What Mike has said:
Weight with battery is 31Grams or in Old money just over 1oz.
Without battery 21 Grams or 0.76oz.

The Raw Al should be about 25 Grams with battery.