More than 160 lumens?

Tachylyte

Newly Enlightened
I know 160 lumens is incredibly bright and very impressive for such small units but surely this will increase sometime in 2008? Anyone know if Rob has given any indication as to when we're likely to see an LE upgrade in any of the Raw line? I'm sure there is a huge amount of work that Rob has to do when a new emitter becomes available in bringing it into the product line-up.

Incidentally, is there a danger that the small Li-ion batteries the Raw Ns/Wee line uses won't handle the next generation of LEDs quite as well? [I don't know much about it but I've heard the forward voltage of the Q5 Cree (or was it the R2 bin?) is higher than before – will this have efficiency/runtime implications?]

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the first batch of the Q5s had a high forward voltage, but Cree have tweaked it to be a little lower now. Advancements in efficiency will not require greater current, so I do not see the cell having a problem.

Also, if a significantly better emitter emerges, you can buy the PCBs from Rob and mount you own emitter for £10, or buy a whole new light engine for only £17.