Fenix L0D Q4 Green Tint

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix L0D Q4 has a definite green tint. Several other people have noticed the same thing: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/187710

Now I don't claim to know much about the different emitters each light uses, however comparing the L0D to my Kai SSC AAA Buckle light I noticed the L0D has a lot more yellow (LED mount?) and green (circuit board?) visible then the Kai light. Could this be a factor in the difference in tint between the two lights?

In the pic the L0D is on the left.

I must admit it bugs me a little that the $15 light has a significantly smoother beam, whiter tint and higher brightness then the $45 light (not all of which is visible in the pic, but that's what I've found).

Last edited:

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
I have one on the way to me so I'll let you know when I get it. My Kai ssc aaa buckle is duff, goes out when tightend rite up and it flickers and goes out. Not happy with it at all hence why I've gone for Lod.

Rob

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that you already saw the pics I posted of my L0D Q4 vs. my SF 6PL. I too have wondered about the green on the circuit board. I personally think that the LED itself has a green tint to it but also feel that the green circuit board may cause the green outer ring.

web.jpg

Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Edit: Looking more at your picture, our comparison pics (Cree vs. SSC) look almost identical color-wise.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
Mine also has the greenish outer ring/shadow when I lay it on a white surface, like in the lateral pictures above. It is of no significance in actual use though, and I really hadn't noticed it, and still don't, in a frontal beamshot.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the warmer tint. The center spot is not green at all, and a great improvement from the bluish E1 which it replaces.

Kees

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit it bugs me a little that the $15 light has a significantly smoother beam, whiter tint and higher brightness then the $45 light (not all of which is visible in the pic, but that's what I've found).

Well my L2D has a greener tint than my Kai buckle as well, but it's only noticeable if I compare them directly. There's really no effect on real world use. I add my RB80 L2T/L1T into the mix, and suddenly the Kai light produces a cold and unwelcoming beam.

I think the smoother beam is just a characteristic of the Seoul emitter versus Cree emitter. You can smooth out a Cree beam with textured reflectors, but a Seoul can still go nicely with smooth in many cases.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you got a poor emitter. A while back I recieved a Fenix P3D that had a poor greenish tint to it and I was very disapponted - it seemed like the beam was weak. I received another P3D with same rank bin emitter and it was a very nice white that looked a whole lot brighter too (maybe because it was so white).

Sounds like emitter lottery.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Sounds like you got a poor emitter. A while back I recieved a Fenix P3D that had a poor greenish tint to it and I was very disapponted - it seemed like the beam was weak. I received another P3D with same rank bin emitter and it was a very nice white that looked a whole lot brighter too (maybe because it was so white).

Sounds like emitter lottery.

(To OP)
yes, Crees tend to lean toward green sometimes but my Lod is nice and white. SSC leds tend to be white or bluish and Rebels a little warmer/yellowish. it isn't uncommon for Crees to have a greenish/yellowish ring in the beam because of the design of the led die. If your Lod seems dimmer than it should be, thats a different story:shrug:

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies all, it starting to sound like I just have a poor emitter.

(To OP)
yes, Crees tend to lean toward green sometimes but my Lod is nice and white. SSC leds tend to be white or bluish and Rebels a little warmer/yellowish. it isn't uncommon for Crees to have a greenish/yellowish ring in the beam because of the design of the led die. If your Lod seems dimmer than it should be, thats a different story:shrug:

In a ceiling bounce test the L0D is definitely putting out less light then the Kai buckle light, when my understanding is they should be on par (and in fact others have found the L0D to put out significantly more light). Would reduced output plus a noticeable green tint warrant the seller offering a replacement?

lumenal

Enlightened
My LOD Q4 has a very slight lavender tint, no big deal though.

If you took 10 LODs, and turned them on at a white wall, you could very likely notice 10 different tints. Its just a fact of the tint lottery.

Unless the emitter is unusually heavily tinted one way or the other, comparing the tints among different lights only tends to exagerate the whiteness (or lack of ) among those lights.

In short - just use one light at a time, and then they'll all look white... :nana:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a ceiling bounce test the L0D is definitely putting out less light then the Kai buckle light, when my understanding is they should be on par (and in fact others have found the L0D to put out significantly more light). Would reduced output plus a noticeable green tint warrant the seller offering a replacement?

I don't have the L0D Q4 (75lm) but I have the P4 (50lm) and would say that the Kai is easily noticeably brighter, with both on freshly charged nimh. I would venture to guess that the L0D Q4 would only be significantly brighter than the Kai when run on a 10440 battery. The KD is an extremely bright light on a 1.2/1.5v, but the peak light range doesn't last very long.

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Got my Lod today same greenish ring outside of the main beam only noticable against a white wall or close up but still a bit annoying, I got a duff Kai ssc buckle light so the Lod is a breath of fresh air next to that.

Rob