NiMH vs. Li-ion

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
New to the rechargeable world here, want to see if I'm understanding this right. All other things being equal, NiMH AA-sized rechargeables have longer runtimes than alkaline or lithium AAs. And yet, Li-Ion's in R123 size say, have less runtime than lithium 123 primaries? Am I getting this right? Thanks!

Fird

Enlightened
It used to be that alkalines would outlast rechargeables (in the NiCd days), but technology has improved and thus the capacity of our AA sized secondary cells is now higher, while their internal resistance is lower - therefore they can deliver more current without too much 'voltage-sag.' I would imagine that lithium chemistry could improve a bit and we'll see lithium secondaries outlasting the primaries by a long time. That said, I have no experience with lithium primaries at 3.0v vs lithium secondaries. I'd never ever use a primary cell where a secondary one provides better performance price-wise. Surefire has their act together when they refuse to support secondary cells, they want to sell you their batteries at $3.50 an hour to run your light.. good idea, for them!

You'd have to calculate watt-hours. Remember that Li-ions are 3.7v, multiply that by say 600 mah for a typical RCR123 and you get 2.22 watt-hours. (the attraction is the form-factor, it takes 5 AA nimh's to get to 6v, and 2 CR123 primaries!)

For calculations let's go with a pretty serious 2000mah Nimh, at 1.2v, and you'll get 2.4 watt hours, slightly more than your lithium RCR123, but at a much lower voltage you'll have to draw more current, or have more cells.

My personal favorite which I just got my first light for (and LOVE the form-factor), is the 18650, a completely different size class, but at 2200mah for a good 18650, and 3.7v working voltage, you get 8.14 watt-hours :-D.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you consider the size of a 3xAAA battery holder such as are used in so many consumer LED lights, you can easily put an 18500 in there and get more capacity than 3 AAA alkalines or NiMH's. If they made something like a 22500 that would actually fill that space, it would likely have 50% more capacity still.

Marduke

Flashaholic
New to the rechargeable world here, want to see if I'm understanding this right. All other things being equal, NiMH AA-sized rechargeables have longer runtimes than alkaline or lithium AAs. And yet, Li-Ion's in R123 size say, have less runtime than lithium 123 primaries? Am I getting this right? Thanks!

Lithium AA's like Energizer's e2 L91's are king of the mountain, outperforming both NiMH and alkalines in every category except price.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium AA's like Energizer's e2 L91's are king of the mountain, outperforming both NiMH and alkalines in every category except price.
Maybe not at high loads though. Rechargeable AA's usually last much longer in digital cameras than Energizer lithiums.

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
My personal favorite which I just got my first light for (and LOVE the form-factor), is the 18650, a completely different size class, but at 2200mah for a good 18650, and 3.7v working voltage, you get 8.14 watt-hours :-D.

I agree :)
18650 is the clear winner - just the right form factor, and a lot of energy
(remember you need more then 3 RCR123 to get the energy of one 18650).

Besides you can draw a much higher current from the 18650...

:tinfoil:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Maybe not at high loads though. Rechargeable AA's usually last much longer in digital cameras than Energizer lithiums.

Generally it's the other way around. L91's usually outperform NiMH in both total capacity, and capacity under high load.