Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beastmaster's X80 LED Lamp Assembly - version 1

Default Beastmaster's X80 LED Lamp Assembly - version 1

Hi guys!

This is the official sales thread for the X80 LED Lamp Assembly, version 1.

I will be modifying this specific page for listing out the sales of this particular item.

Starting off - the specifications and particular pros and cons of this lamp assembly. I will be providing full disclosure on what it can and cannot do, along with minor fitting issues.

Specifications of the lamp assembly:

LED: Cree Q5
    Emitter Lumens: ~200 Lumens. If you factor in a 65% efficiency factor, that is roughly 130 lumens through the front, making this drop in about the same as the original X80 incandescent lamp assembly.
    Reflector - orange peel texture. This texture gives it a decent combination of spill and flood. The throw is about the same as the incandescent X80, and it gives way more flood than the original incan lamp assembly.

Known compatibility -
    This drop in has been tested with a SureFire 8X and 8NX.

Thanks to Nein166, I've gotten an 8NX for testing. Thanks to Nein166 for his help!

Known Fitting issues -
    Because of the strange size of the inside diameter of the 8X and 8AX heads, there will be some fitting issues where the lens/bezel combination will screw down but not all the way. This will lead to some weather resistance issues. To combat this, a roll of teflon tape plus an exterior O-Ring will be provided to cover the gap and return some of the weather resistance to the flashlight.

The reflector is slighly smaller than the bezel head lens diameter. It relies on the head's interior ring (8X/8AX) or centering nubs (8NX) to center the reflector.

If you have an 8NX, the unit will screw down past the o-ring, so weather resistance is not a factor. You have an increased gap by 1/16th of an inch versus the stock lamp assembly.

Pricing -
    There are two levels of pricing - if you have a donor (and preferably dead) X80 lamp assembly, or not.

If you have a donor X80 lamp assembly (that is complete with the springs), the cost is $50 USD plus actual cost of shipping via USPS Priority. Most times, shipping will be roughly 5 bucks. You will need to ship me the lamp assembly. You will get your incan lamp assembly back sans the negative contact spring (which will be transferred to the new LED lamp assembly).

If you do NOT have a donor X80 lamp assembly, a new X80 will be purchased and will be sacrificed for the negative contact spring. The cost of the unit will be $78 plus actual cost of shipping via USPS Priority.

Availability - I will NOT take pre-orders. Instead, I will be doing something similar to what Gene Malkoff is doing, but a bit more CPF friendly for starters.

I will be building these up 10 at a time. I have some spring inventory to begin with and I will be getting some reflector and pill components. As the components come in, I will then be making them and posting it's availability here on this page. Eventually, I will likely be selling the lamp assembly through my side business, but for now, CPF is the only place to get it.

Each lamp assembly takes me about 1 evening to build, including fitting to an 8X and an 8NX as a sample unit. Each unit is hand fitted...hence the time it takes to build one.

The next page will show pictures and beam shots.

-------reserved space for positions-------
    BATCH 1
    Unit 1 - Offshoreracr (packed, built and ready to go)
    Unit 2 - Nein166 (assembly built)
    Unit 3 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 4 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 5 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 6 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 7 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 8 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 9 - Waiting for parts
    Unit 10 - Waiting for parts
    Last edited by Beastmaster; 02-21-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Updated with pics and pricing.
    Laser Products/SF 6P/3P/9Z (w/LED), SF 6P/G2/Z2 (w/LED), SF 8X/LED, SF E1e/E2e/E1B, SF/Aleph/VG KL4/TLS, TW4, K2-Shorty, Novatac 120P, PentagonLight MOLLE, & SL PT1L Home of the BMX80 LED Assembly

Default Re: Beastmaster's X80 LED Lamp Assembly

Sweet!

Default Re: Beastmaster's X80 LED Lamp Assembly - version 1

Okay - here's the pics.

1) Lamp assembly comparisons

2) Gap without o-rings

3) Centered assembly - note that it's not the same diameter as the head.

4) Head with O-rings. Final unit will use a single o-ring rather than dual.

5) Beam shot against the wall

6) Shot down my usual test area - the side of the house "alleyway"

Laser Products/SF 6P/3P/9Z (w/LED), SF 6P/G2/Z2 (w/LED), SF 8X/LED, SF E1e/E2e/E1B, SF/Aleph/VG KL4/TLS, TW4, K2-Shorty, Novatac 120P, PentagonLight MOLLE, & SL PT1L Home of the BMX80 LED Assembly

Unenlightened

Looks good.........great job on this. Nice to finally have an alternative LA for the old 8X series.

Fred

Okay - Some final pics. I found an o-ring to use and I'm including a shot of what you get with the kit.

cant see pics......

My goof, I guess. It's back now.

-Steve

Steve,
    How bright is this LED assembly vs the standard X80 incan bulb? I may have missed it but do you have comparison pics between the two down the "beam test alley"?

Quote Originally Posted by NotRegulated View Post
    Steve,
    How bright is this LED assembly vs the standard X80 incan bulb? I may have missed it but do you have comparison pics between the two down the "beam test alley"?
    Duh. Dumb me. Gee - you'd think I'd do that. But I didn't.

I'll take a shot of it tonight and post it up.

-Steve

Not dumb, just totally immersed into the X80 LED project.

Okay - comparison shots between incan X80 and LED X80.

First up - Incan X80

Next - LED X80

-Steve

Great shots.

The LED doesn't look brighter than the incan, just whiter.
    The LED doesn't seem to have any more throw than the incan either.
    All of what you said in the first post.

I guess the main advantage is longer runtime, less susceptible to breakage when dropped, more flood and a LED solution for a light with little or no options for upgrading. Even if the other factors stay the same, just the more flood alone is a valuable option for LE work.
    Last edited by NotRegulated; 02-16-2008 at 11:41 AM.

You get way more flood and slightly more throw. One of the issues that i have with taking digital pics is that shutting off auto-white-balance actually affects exposure. Leaving it on screws with color. So I get a no win situation.

Very interesting. I'm more of an incan guy but I might try this for my 8NX. Whats the difference in run time? Have you tried it with a nimh stick?

Quote Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
    Very interesting. I'm more of an incan guy but I might try this for my 8NX. Whats the difference in run time? Have you tried it with a nimh stick?
    I don't have an NiMH stick - only NiCad's - in fact, I'm swimming in B90's - I have 7 of them.

Run time is about 2x of "Useful" light compared to the X80. I get about 45 minutes of really bright light, then it drops down to about P60L levels, and then I get a quick ramp down from there.

I have two challenges - hence why it's still an early version 1.

a) The pill fits. The reflector has to be fitted. It still leaves a 0.148 inch gap on my 8X, requiring me to include the pictured external o-ring to help weatherproof it.

b) The reflector is smaller than the X80 in diameter, but it provides more spill/flood and about the same (slightly more IMHO) throw. If I'm able to find a usable reflector that can fit the pill I've got and give me more flood and equal throw - we will have a winner.

So - I've ordered the supplies for the first batch of ten, sans the X80's springs. Of the 10 I'm creating for the first batch, Offshoreracr and Nein166 have first dibs on the first two as beta units because they've both donated to the creation of this lamp assembly - so I'll have 8 available in the first batch when I get the reflectors and the remaining pills in.

-Steve

I will be able to test this unit out on a 3300mAh NiMH stick.
    Actually its all I have to test it with as my B90s are no more.
    But I have my own LED LA and a X80 to compare it with.

BM - I should get the parts in the mail later today.
    Last edited by nein166; 02-18-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Hi there

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    I will be able to test this unit out on a 3300mAh NiMH stick.
    Actually its all I have to test it with as my B90s are no more.
    But I have my own LED LA and a X80 to compare it with.

BM - I should get the parts in the mail later today.
    I want to thank you for getting this to me. I also found out that I had to grind down a bit more to fit the 8NX series Nitrolon units.

There is a good thing though for those who have the Nitrolon units - no o-ring is needed. The gap is 1/16th more than with a stock X80....so if you have a Nitrolon based unit - it's ready to go straight off the bat.

Nein166- your reflector came in, so I fitted it and it's ready to go.

-Steve

I may be mistaken but I believe the X 80 has an equivalent in wolf eyes d36 available from pts lights I've been looking for a used 8nx to try just this with lithium ion batteries but finances are pretty bad for me

The Wolf Eyes D36 module has a reflector size of 36mm, which is roughly 1.44 inches.

The X80 module has a outer lip diameter of 1.173 inches (30mm), and a inner lip diameter that flares out to 1.08 inches.

So it won't fit.

And, the D36 has to have a spring for the negative contact fitted to the lamp assembly anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    I may be mistaken but I believe the X 80 has an equivalent in wolf eyes d36 available from pts lights I've been looking for a used 8nx to try just this with lithium ion batteries but finances are pretty bad for me
    I'll confirm the D36 won't fit, it is too large. I tried the "fit" test some time ago. The D26's bezel is smaller than the X80 and the D36 is larger. I don't know of any other production lamp assembly with the X80's dimensions.

More pics - this time with the 8NX.

well there goes another good idea

Got the BMX80 and when I get to work I'll start charging up my batteries for reviewing.

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    Got the BMX80 and when I get to work I'll start charging up my batteries for reviewing.
    Nein166,

Thanks for reviewing it! I do have one minor thing - I zoned out on the fact that you have an 8AX and not an 8NX. So - I owe you an o-ring that I have depicted in one of my prior posts (the blackish solid one).

It'll go out in the mail today.

With that being said - my next batch of reflectors are coming in, so once they hit, I'm ready to go from there.

-Steve

I'm interested in seeing the review in the 8NX. I already have a working but well used stock X80 lamp standing by to sacrifice to the Beastmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by NotRegulated View Post
    I'm interested in seeing the review in the 8NX. I already have a working but well used stock X80 lamp standing by to sacrifice to the Beastmaster.
    NotRegulated - you have a PM. I have an offer for you.

I also have some feedback from my beta testers. I have a minor mod (thanks Nein166 and Offshoreracr!) that makes it fit even better.

As soon as I get done with dinner, I'll post some new pics.

-Steve

Okay - thanks to feedback from my two beta testers so far (Nein166 and Offshoreracr), I've improved things slightly to where the fit is far better.

It did, unfortunately, require me to modify the reflector a bit. However, now the reflector fits in deeper and I'm able to seal the bezel past the o-ring in the 8NX and the 8X.

My original beta units were a two piece design - the pill fit into the head, then the reflector went in, then the bezel screwed everything down. Now - it's a one piece design.

I have one minor test (heat related) to perform. Then I have one more beta to give out and get feedback on.

Pricing still should be the same. I did have to get some more grinding bits to work with so I could do some increased fitting.

Here's some more pics. Some of them are similar views.

-Steve

My initial report. The BMX80 wins against the X80 in brightness and runtime. I'm running the BMX80 in the 8AX.
    It is effective to 50' very good hotspot and good sidespill.
    With the X80 aimed at a point on the wall I turned the BMX80 on the same point.
    Result - I can't make out the X80 except in the ring of cree.

Batteries used are made up of these Sub-C cells and the B90 Harness wrapped in Kapton Tape.

I got 80 minutes runtime on the X80
    At the battery 2.2A at 4v forward
    And at the end 1.2A at 2.1v

I got 4 hours high output on the BMX80. Its still running and I need to go to bed soon.
    I'm thinking we have a buck boost driver here with a max Amp in.
    It got rather hot then dropped in output.
    At the battery its pulling 920ma on a fresh battery with 4v
    And 130ma on a battery run for 5 hours down to 2.5v under load

Luxmeter readings will follow with beamshots.

I'd like to take lux readings on the BMX80, X80, X80-LED, Downboy917 w/ USVOI in Aleph1, and a Surefire 6P
    I chose the 6P because most of us know what it looks like.
    And the Aleph1 w/DB917 SSC because its similar in output to the BMX80 and uses the same reflector as my X80-LED (McR-27)

Any thoughts?

I know I'd like to see comparative beamshots myself. It's the only way to know (for me) that the module can compete with others of similar capacity.

-Steve