Whoa!! is this safe?!

jinx626

Enlightened
I gave 2 Fenix P1CE to my dad and my gf. Here is thing that makes me wary. Everytime I open the head to replace the batteries, I smell something weird. The best I can discribe the smell is... like gas. I smell it when changing tenergy and surefire batteries. Well I only change it twice and both times I smell the gas... They don't use the flashlight much nor do they use it more than 5-10 min per use. Is that normal?

Jinx

piney12

Newly Enlightened
What you smell is "Flashahol". That is what we CPF ers
call it anyway.

All lithium batteries do this and it is normal. I would not make a habit of sniffing it, however.

piney12

jinx626

Enlightened
What you smell is "Flashahol". That is what we CPF ers
call it anyway.

All lithium batteries do this and it is normal. I would not make a habit of sniffing it, however.

piney12

Why? I heard its good for you health! I didn't mean to smell it, I didn't know it give out the "flashahol" smell. It was my first time changing CR123 on their flashlight.

Illum

Flashaholic
don't worry so much on lithiums going :poof: if you buy from known brands...but if you smell something like tangerines or juicyfruit gum, then you should be worried:candle:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the CR123A's I've ever used have had that smell.
- A box of 10 old mitsubishi cells I got cheaply from ebay (expiry 2008)
- The panasonics that came in my T1
- The SF123A that came in my L1

I don't think it means there is any problem with the cells. I've only ever used 2 lith AA's which are sitting in my old nikon digital camera. I'm wary of putting lith AA's in lights.

Last edited:

jinx626

Enlightened

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Yes the LiFePo4 has a smaller capacity (rated at 500mah) than the regular Li-ions. 500mah may sound little compared to a primary, but then again, it all depends on your usage. The P1D Q5 consumes approx 350ma in primary mode, 1100ma in turbo and 40mah in low mode on a freshly charged battery at about 3.31 volts. it consumes a little more current when the voltage drops. Assuming that primary mode is used most of the time, that should translate to about 1 hour of total usage theoritcally. FrenchyLED did a runtime and it was somewhere between 50min to just over 1 hour: see post #116 at http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=125353&page=4

I came across somewhere else (maybe do a search) where someone else did a runtime with regular protected 3.0V Li-ions and I believe the runtimes were roughly similar to the LiFEPo4. The runtimes I believe are longer with the 3.7 volt li-ions but then you'll lose your primary and low modes. Runtimes with Primaries are the best, but stick with brand names. Then again, the regular Li-ions and Lithium primaries (especially cheap ones) run the risk of venting - as this forum has shown. Granted, the risks are very small - but they have happened, even with single cell flashlights.

The LiFEP04 cells work for me and my P1D Q5 because of the way I use it. First of all, I use the P1D as an EDC. It is always stored in my coin pocket in my jeans and I use it typically for about 5 -10 minutes (on primary/low modes) a day. These cells are not supposed to be drained too low as they do not have a protective circuit. To prevent over dischage, I simply swapped a freshly charged battery every week or so regardless of what's left in the cell. I would also change it more often if intended to be used for lengthy periods of time. I also carry a spare charged LiFePo4 cell in my bag/car in case of emergencies. I have a set of 4 LiFePo4 that I rotate. So far, this setup works perfect for me. Best of all, I do not have to worry about venting issues! I think the minor inconvenience is worth the peace of mind.

Last edited:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information LiteShow, I think I'm going to go and get myself some LiFePo4 cells for my Fenix T1 and P1D Q5. Aslong as I carry a set of spares I'll be fine because I can rotate and charge regularly as you do.

Most people don't run their lights into the ground in a single use so this is a great idea.

Illum

Flashaholic
it doesn't give you the euphoria sensation like rubber cement or spilled PVC primer, but I wouldn't do it intentionally just to try:eek:oo:
its a unmistakable smell, but not much of an aroma. it diffuses quite rapidly in an open environment, so unless their in a plastic bag/flashlight body...its not strong enough to be detected

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
how do you know?! hahahah

because I've primed at least a hundred feet of PVC conduits in the attic when we tapped a line from the the fuse panel to an outdoor shed. I was surprised I didn't lose my balance up there and fallen through the ceiling. It'll take your sense of smell out for a full day

the PVC ran from the roof down to the wall under the yard and ran across on the fence to the shed. dad says to "seal it up or bugs will get in" and I did, without a mask on:shakehead

One of my morning help tasks back in high school's photo class was to rubber cement works of students onto presentation boards [forgot what those where called] and after 3 years the smell became very familiar to me :ohgeez:

Illum

Flashaholic
someone up here said venting cr123As smell like juicyfruit gum...:ohgeez:
I've never has a venting incident before so I can't verify whether thats correct or not